The Face of God?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. macrumors G3

Huntn

Ok, so I am Agnostic. But if something gives me a feeling of reverence, like I'm part of something which could be spiritual, besides running down a country road with fields, a river, and mountains in the background, it is pictures of the Universe. Is anyone else effected in this manner? It's an emotional reaction based on... ? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 68020

localoid

Despite the I'm an Absurdist I'm still inspired to create stuff that's some might label "spiritual"... ;)

3. macrumors 603

Bright shiny spinning things.

We're born with it. Look at crib mobiles, spinning tops, Fisher-Price & Playskool color themes.

4. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

To contemplate the astounding nature of reality you need go no further than a glass of water, or even the gas that you spend your entire life walking through.

The galaxies and yourself are all made of just up and down quarks.n electrons and massless bosons, the photon and gluon, in fact the quarks have almost no mass but make up protons which do have mass. None of the particles have many properties yet they somehow conspire into a lump of one hundred trillion synapses firing off their little packets of neurotransmitters which your brain somehow unfathomably constructs what you deem as reality.

5. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

I liked it. :)

But did someone give it too us? :)

Indeed. Why does some of the groups of matter that become animated attain the ability to contemplate their existence? (rhetorical) Maybe someday we will find out, in this life or the next.

6. macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Good question. Although contemplating one's own existence may not be a sign of advanced intelligence. This is also the only species that destroys members of it's own and other species outside of survival needs.

7. macrumors 6502

I've been reading a fair bit of stuff about the Paleolithic lately... Neanderthals, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo ergaster etc etc and I'm not so sure it's actually such a rhetorical question...

The big arguments that seem to rage through the various books I've read are concerned with increasing ideas of self awareness bound up in the development of tool making and language. (For example you need to be able to imagine to create good tools. You have to be able to 'see a potential tool' in a knob of flint for example. It's a huge leap over just picking up a branch and whacking something.) If you can literally design a tool then your group get a huge advantage. To do all this you all need to develop a 'third person' type of thinking. Then I guess this rather odd way of thinking gets applied to all the other stuff around you... (I've grossly simplified it, probably because my ancestors were rubbish tool makers and my brain isn't big enough to understand the ideas properly but you get the idea...)

8. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Though being able to pick at the very fabric of existence certainly is, both in a philosophical and quite literal sense.

Which you could say is stupidity borne from our brilliance, as we're able to think of our "enemies" in more abstract, multidimensional fashions.

9. macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Nice observations. Intelligence seems to also allow development of a level of cruelty otherwise unknown in the animal kingdom.

10. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Yup. Something as seemingly basic and primitive as spite and revenge is actually quite an advanced response only a thinking creature would be capable of. It serves no real survival purposes. You're not doing it to protect a food supply, your offspring, or your territory. It actually works in opposition of any real survival instincts, as you're potentially putting yourself in harms way to go out to antagonize and humiliate someone over any myriad number of issues. And all for what? For the satisfaction of doing it.

Cuz that guy just pisses you off.

You have to think about what they did. Have a complex understanding of their general emotional or mental states as a base to work against them. Be able to formulate a plan. There are tons of reasons for the whats, whens, and whys for something so basic. To put it simply, a lot of higher mental functions are required to be an ass for the simple sake of being an ass.

11. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, no doubt. Have you seen what Theresa is going to do to Melissa on RHNJ? It takes a truly twisted mind to be that mean, devious and icky.

12. macrumors 6502

I think most of the photos you're looking at are artificially colored. They don't look like that through a telescope.

13. macrumors G3

Renzatic

It's usually not all that much different. Visible light spectrum shots are a little duller, and don't show quite as much, but spectacular is still spectacular.

Case in point, some purdy stars...

[​IMG]

14. macrumors 6502

Originals look better than the touched up version IMO. Everytime I see those colorized (or is it oversaturated?) versions they look very cartoony to me.

15. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

They are not natural color as seen with the naked eye. I believe color is based on infared/spectrum, but are still spectacular. Read about how Hubble creates pictures here: hubblesite.org.

16. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Nothing is greater than god. Far greater. I mean, god appears to be this bumbling, obnoxious, sadistic maniac; by contrast, nothing is implacable, voracious and absolute. It just is. Or maybe it is not, maybe nothing is just as real as god, since we cannot really find any of it or prove that it does (not) exist.

I find the concept of the vast void to be more awesome and beautiful than that of some quasi-benevolent bearded man in a white robe. That things do what they do because, without any provocation, management or cunning plan is all the more impressive. Who needs god? It only gets in the way.

17. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

As an Agnostic, I like the idea that human beings can't really imagine God, if such an entity exists, hence the substitute, the bearded man in a white robe, kinda related to Santa Claus. ;)

18. macrumors G3

Renzatic

That's actually a relatively recent thing as far as the Abrahamic religions go. If you look back at the descriptions of God in the Torah, it describes Him as a completely unknowable, alien entity that exists in a state far beyond our comprehension.

I think it was during the last millennium, when everyone started thinking of God as Jesus' dad, that people started putting a more human face on the concept.

19. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

A-ha, the Torah's authors were practically Agnostics! :)

20. macrumors Core

iBlue

I know what you mean. My favourite image ever taken is the Hubble Deep Field and Ultra deep field.

They pointed Hubble at a tiny dark part of the sky and compiled 342 images taken over about 10 days and found 10,000 galaxies

[​IMG]

I love those images. Nothing makes me feel more humble. Contemplating our place in the world is human nature and when you see how vast the universe is, it's normal to feel overwhelmed.

You may like this video as well.

21. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Backyard astronomy is a hobby of mine, although in my case it might be more correctly called frontyard astronomy...but I digress.

I have a decent amateur telescope. Nothing that cost thousands of dollars, mind you, but nothing like what you'd pick up at a department store. I live near enough to a major urban area to be affected by light pollution, but not so near as to be blinded by it at night.

All that being said, the views of the night sky I get in my telescope look nothing like these photos. It's simply impossible for the human eye to take in what a space telescope and long-exposure photography can capture. But when I look into the eyepiece, it's a very spiritual thing for me. To look into the sky and see - with my own eye, not in a photo - a galaxy, nebula, or star cluster that's billions or even trillions of miles away, something that looks like a tiny, faint smudge of grey against a black background, and to know what it is, how big it is, and how far away it is, words just can't describe the feeling I get. It's magical.

22. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Awesome, isn't it? I only have a smallish reflector, but man, to see the rings of Saturn or those wispy nebulae "in person", nothing like it.

23. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

Newsweek/Daily Beast: Planets, Planets Everywhere

Interesting read. The author does not seem to think that aliens will come visit us because the nearest stars would take a Saturn rocket 70,000 years to reach. And he thinks any aliens would be peaceful. Hmm. So how do you explain all the UFO sightings? Some kind of warp or worm technology would answer that. And as far as being friendly, I'd say that's 50-50. Are there any guarantees that highly advanced civilizations have to be friendly ones? ;)

The next question is how many of them support or could support life?

24. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Great thread, and some fantastic images and videos and some lovely posts. (Mind you, when I clicked on the title, I expected something a little different). Thanks for posting all of this wonderful stuff.

Anyway, I love looking at the stars, reading about them, thinking about them, and backyard astronomy (albeit with a pair of excellent binoculars, rather than a telescope, which is a dream purchase of mine) is something I really enjoy, the endless cloud cover over where I live, notwithstanding.

25. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Free online course on the search for ET life from Edinburgh Uni.

https://www.coursera.org/course/astrobio

You've missed a lesson, but still 5 weeks of it to go. You even get a certificate at the end of it :)