The Fall Guy? Tenet Resigns for "Personal Reasons"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jun 3, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I'm hearing right now that George Tenet is resigning. Dubya is praising his work, but it looks like they'll be trying to pin the intelligence failures on him since he's gone now. He'll stay on through July, then the DDI will take over I think. Interesting to see how this plays out.
  2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    forced out is more like it.

and the timing is oh so convenient being as bush just hopped AF1 to normandy...home of one of the harshest crtics of the war in iraq ( and i'm sure other critics will be there as well).

as a bargaining chip, i wonder what tenet is worth....
  3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    We'll probably know very soon whether there is more to this than the things we already know (WWD, 9/11, etc.)

This story may be interesting, as well (is there a connection?):

Bush Knew About Leak of CIA Operative's Name
    By Staff and Wire Reports
    Jun 3, 2004, 05:28

Witnesses told a federal grand jury President George W. Bush knew about, and took no action to stop, the release of a covert CIA operative's name to a journalist in an attempt to discredit her husband, a critic of administration policy in Iraq.

Their damning testimony has prompted Bush to contact an outside lawyer for legal advice because evidence increasingly points to his involvement in the leak of covert CIA operative Valerie Plame's name to syndicated columnist Robert Novak.

The move suggests the president anticipates being questioned by prosecutors. Sources say grand jury*witnesses*have implicated the President and his top advisor, Karl Rove.

White House spokesmen, however, dismiss the hiring of outside counsel as a routine precaution.

"The president has made it very clear he wants everyone to cooperate fully with the investigation and that would include himself," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Wednesday night.

He confirmed that Bush had contacted Washington attorney Jim Sharp. "In the event the president needs his advice, I expect he probably would retain him," McClellan said. There is no indication Bush has been questioned yet.

A federal grand jury has questioned numerous White House and administration officials to learn who leaked the name of CIA operative Plame, wife of former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, to the news media. Wilson has charged that officials made the disclosure in an effort to discredit him.

EDIT: I am not familiar with this source. But I have just read that these guys are not very reliable. So, take it or leave, I guess.
  4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Only problem with trying to pin all the blame on Tenet ( he surely deserves some for calling the WMD issue a 'slam dunk') is that from what I've heard the Pentagon was ginning up it's own intelligence too, so the head of THAT organization should resign too.

Also, I wonder how long it will take before Tenet has a book out, and what that book will say about the run-up to the war.
  5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Yes, any number of times it seemed that Tenet was champing at the bit to tell his story more bluntly, but was restrained by his duty to the executive. I'd expect him to be somewhat less circumspect in retirement.
  6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Maybe Dubya is simply planning on giving his daddy his old job back... ;)
  7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004

I'm expecting to hear him be more openly critical of Georgie...
  8. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    I think the front-runners for the position are:
    1) Magic 8-ball
    2) GWs "gut"
    3) Bobo the monkey

...but that is just me...