The FCC and Radio Censorship

Discussion in 'Community' started by King Cobra, Aug 30, 2002.

?

Who should be held responsible for radio censorship?

1. The FCC

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Radio Stations

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have been noticing songs playing on the radio uncensored for the past month and a half.

July 14 at 12:30: WCCC played Korn - Thoughtless uncensored.
    August: WCYY played Korn - Freak On A Leash uncensored.
    August 29: WCCC played Disturbed - Down With The Sickness (mostly uncensored). At about 16:00 K-Rock played Korn - Freak On a Leash (Techno Mix) uncensored.

I have heard that radio stations can receive big fines for this. What are those fines, and what are your opinions on who should be most responsible for censorship on the radio?

2. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Too many children listen to the radio, so I think the FCC should

control the language on public radios!!

As far as fines I think it is like 1,000 USD per word!!:D

3. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I don't listen to the radio, becase I have this little contraption called an iPod!!;) :p

4. sturm375 macrumors 6502

The FCC is just a governmental tool to reduce free speech. The federal government does not need to control the local radio stations I/we listen to. If you don't approve of what the station is playing/broadcasting, change the channel, or turn it off. You have the ultimate power, don't give the government any more power that it needs.

The FCC also controls who gets a broadcasting liscense, so if you aren't one of the big-boys, guess what, no radio station. Infinity, Evergreen, and the third company I can't remember, those are the only companies approved (political/money) to broadcast in America.

5. bombensington macrumors regular

the fcc, contrary to belief, does not have agents patrolling the airwaves looking for bad songs. they rely on the public to lodge complaints against the station and then investigate from there.

if you hear anything on radio that you think is inappropriate, it's up to you to complain to the fcc.

they don't shut down the station right away, they impose fines. if the fines are due to a dj, if his ratings are through the roof, they can pay the fine and forget about it - because any publicity is good publicity (i.e. Howard Stern).

i had to learn all about this since i live with a radio dj.

6. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm i'm not too sure, it wont be as big of a problem if it were like a classic rock station (since most of the ppl who listen to it are 30+)

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

didnt they and cheney get bought out so we'll have to pay double or triple for tvs in 5 years or something?