Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottlevin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2005
So, the new video iPods only support USB 2.0. But my 800MHZ iMac G4 only has USB 1.1 and Firewire.

With my 4G iPod, I use Firewire. If I got a 5G, I'd have to use USB 1.1?

Would it even work at all? If the USB 1.1 worked, would it go really slow? Would it even charge my iPod like Firewire can or would I have to go through an adapter? Does USB 2.0 even charge the iPod (I thought that was a Firewire thing.)?

Apple is really making life inconvenient.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
scottlevin said:
So, the new video iPods only support USB 2.0. But my 800MHZ iMac G4 only has USB 1.1 and Firewire.

With my 4G iPod, I use Firewire. If I got a 5G, I'd have to use USB 1.1?

Would it even work at all? If the USB 1.1 worked, would it go really slow? Would it even charge my iPod like Firewire can or would I have to go through an adapter? Does USB 2.0 even charge the iPod (I thought that was a Firewire thing.)?

Apple is really making life inconvenient.

USB1.1 will allow a 5G iPod to charge and to sync. The charge rate would be the same as for a USB2.0 or FW connection, but the data transfer rate with USB1.1 would be somewhat slower than for USB2.0 or FW. It would still work however, and aside from transfer of a possibly large initial music library, copying tracks across from Mac to iPod using USB1.1 is not really all that slow. Bear in mind that transfer rates with USB (both 1.1 and 2.0) are dependent on what else the host system is doing, since unlike FW, USB doesn't have a dedicated controller to look after data flow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.