the few, the proud, the mac users

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jan 9, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

is apple going to finally get more users or are we macheads like the marines, the few and the proud:rolleyes:

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and the geeky! :D

seriously...I don't see why Apple shouldn't gain any marketshare with all they're doing...

I see them making strides similar to what Microsoft has done with software...but they're taking the routes not traveled...

I hope so... :D ;)

3. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

I think the secret is to get those that have no Mac knowledge to get past the Mac myths and see what it really has to offer. Most pc users have no clue about Apple products. In fact, most pc users have no idea what their pc can do! The switch adds are great, but they need to do something to reach those who know nothing and whose only reason for using pc is because most of the world does. To them a computer is a computer. We need some Mac Evangelists to proclaim the truth!

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

on dissent, paulwhannel

i would actually say that we'll be stalled, gaining and losing about the same amount of users to remain at a constant number, until we can make up some ground in MHz. i think that puts off a lot of users, and once that's fixed all of apple's improvements and recent innovations will really make a difference. i see 10-15% marketshare almost overnight when there's less than a 20% difference in MHz speed...

pnw

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: on dissent, paulwhannel

I concur. Although I don't see that happening anytime soon. Steve's too busy getting a lead on the "innovation" end of it all...

It's still such a shame that we cannot get more people past the MHz Myth...heh... :rolleyes:

6. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

NO NO NO NO

It has nothing to do with quality people.....

Its all about PRICE. The 'fear of the mac' is secondary only to price. My parents have a iMac, and my dad wants a new computer for his work office, but wont buy a mac because he only wants to spend 600 bucks or so. For 600, you can get a decent PC!

Apple is far superior in so many aspects of personal computing (sans raw speed, of course ;)). But when it comes down to it, people wont pony up for quality in computers like they do with cars, and other toys.

If Apple would cut costs (and I know they wont) I really think they would see a stronger push in sales. People would actually consider the mac when shopping because their first reaction WOULDNT be, "Oh my God look how expensive!" That is 97.3% of the populations first (and last) impression of the Mac. Im sure they like the design and nice featrues of the OS and iApps, but they always go back to their first impression when opening the checkbook.

I admit that Apple has aggressively cut prices recently, but it still seems people arent willing to buy. Maybe its the mHz Myth (which partly true, partly untrue) but I think we are the few...and will continue to be so.

I say power up the processors and chop some more prices, and Apple will see some growth. No one wants a 1gHz Laptop anymore when they can get a 2.0ghZ PC laptop. (No, the PC isnt twice as fast, but its at least 50% faster.)

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Quality and innovation does come at a price! At least as Mac users we are distinctive, have more esprit de corps! ;)

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yes, but the Macintosh still needs faster processors to maintain that "quality."

The mhZ Myth is true, but only with AMD processors, not Motorolla! ;)

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, myths and all, I chose to switch. Now that I have, I won't go back unless something changes dramatically.

10. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Good! You gotta love the MAc, but I would just love a faster Mac. I wish more people would switch, then maybe chip manufacturers would really WANT to innovate for someone other than Microsoft Box manufacturers. It would be more profitable.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Re: on dissent, paulwhannel

You know, you bring up an interesting point-- Apple seems to focus on speed, or innovations, but never really both at the same time. We get a ton of cool stuff, then some larger speed increases for a while, it's like a cycle... If they figured out how to do both, what a company would that be. Imagine the crowd at MWSF if he announced all that plus maybe 300 mhz of speed increases all around... there would have been a riot :)

pnw

12. spinner macrumors regular

Re: NO NO NO NO

A pretty decent PC? If you consider a Celeron with 128MB RAM and integrate sound and graphics in a flex case a decent PC. I sell em and believe me, that's no stellar PC unless you are only surfing the net on narrowband. You might be able to build a better config than that but 95% of computer owners are barely smart enough to turn them on let alone build one.

You may be interested in this quote from Tom's hardware, "Owing to the really lavish configuration, Dell's SmartStep 250N could be considered a real bargain. A closer look, however, reveals the system's weaknesses: with a traveling weight of altogether 4.26 kilograms (device 3.7kg, power supply 0.56kg) and dimensions of 32.5 x 4.8 x 27.5 cm3, it is at best suited for short trips. The graphics resolution with the Mobility Radeon M6 does not represent the latest in technology and, far more seriously, in battery mode, the CPU runs at half-speed only. The user does not have the option of running the SmartStep on battery at the advertised speed of 2.2GHz at the expense of battery-running time. The advantage of the quick processor is thus lost in mobile operation. We find the fact that Dell fails to clearly point out this special "feature" pretty shameless, to put it mildly. "

Pretty shameless...couldn't have said it better myself Tom.

Apple isn't holding back faster processors, they are not available. That will all change once the 970 is available, once Apple transitions its products to IBM chips I hope they NEVER go back to Moto. They have to be the most worthless chip manufacturer on the planet.

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

OKay, let me re-phrase:

I have a dual 2.0 Xeon with 512MB of RDR ram and a Nvidia Quadro 4 128MB video card (at work) which cost us about $2000.00 even. (w/ monitor as a freebie, but no CD Burner-no biggie) This thing out-performs any Mac out there. ANY. And I push it to the limit using 3D-intensive software like Maya -and post effects software like after effects etc. (plus gaming at lunch ;))

Anyway, we also have a DP 1Gig Mac, and it lags big-time in comparison. Big time. We try interface tests, smooth shading playback speed and rendering test and the Mac is just slower.

If a Mac could come out with PC type of performance with that type of price tag (2000) we'd be interested. But the Mac is just too slow.

I love the Mac, dont get me wrong. I just want to see it succeed better.

PS: IM really excited in seeing what the 970 has to offer Power Users.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: Re: on dissent, paulwhannel

exactly my point...I don't understand why they continue to work it that way...but they do...

and I can only imagine how wild it would get if we actually got a whole meal at a sitting rather than separate courses at a time... ;)

15. spinner macrumors regular

agreenster, I totally agree with you.

The PM are lacking for high end users who truly need the performance. Especially at their current price tag. I really think Apple could lower their prices and maintain the current level of quality hardware, partly because of their growing software line. By having more pay software it will spread profit margins over more users instead of just milking the pros. I know some people don't agree, but by having to pay for .mac, iLife, FCE, FCP, and Mac OS updates they can spread costs out over a broader range of users and thus lower hardware prices like we have recently seen with the PBs.

I see both sides of the spectrum everyday. We have a cutting edge OS now we need the cutting edge hardware to back it up. Time will tell if we finally get some jaw dropping speed out of those 970s.

16. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

But there are still a lot of people that thing Apple is just another brand of computer. I've spoken to many people that want to know what version of windows I use on my Mac. Even a circuit city employee! They have no idea and they need to be educated.

17. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I couldn't agree anymore, I made the switch a few months ago and I will never go back. Unfortunately I have to use a windoze pc at work and it's frustrating, but at least I know that I can go home to my pb.

I also got one of the guys on my paintball team to switch to an iMac. He's anxiously awaiting its arrival.

18. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

True true. I do realize this as well. Ive had that comment tossed at me at an airport or two. "Wow. Neat laptop. Does it run windows?" Sheesh.

19. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I think Apple would do well to use longtime users in a marketing campaign. We're so enthusiastic about our platform that it often just sells itself as we adore our favorite Apple-branded toys. You can't fake the way Mac users feel about their (our) platform.

Dan

20. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: NO NO NO NO

yep everyone ive noticed that wanted to try a mac has been stopped because of the price.

the price is the numero uno draw back for potential switchers...... FOR SURE!