The First BROKEN G5's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ratm, Aug 30, 2003.

1. ratm macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    Even though I am new to these forums, I hope you take my messages and responses with the same respect as you would from long outstanding members.
    I work for a educational distributor of Apple machines (do not ask which one; I'd like to remain as anonymous as I can because my co-workers may stumble upon these messages). We have received the very first non-functioning PowerMac G5's. We had planned on using a 1.8GHz G5 for demonstration. The first one we pulled out of the box did not work at all. The power light would light only when the power button was held down and the fans would spin up, but there was no chime, POST, or any other reaction from the machine. We called Apple immediately, and they instantly sent out RMA (Return to Manufacturer Authorization) stickers for the unit. They said that we had "the very first defective PowerMac G5" and they wanted to get it back to the labs for immediate testing.
    We replaced the demo unit with another 1.8GHz unit. That system worked fine for a week. Then, a few days ago, the second demo unit began malfunctioning in the same manner. The same response from Apple was issued; immediate RMA to the labs for inspection. I spoke with the lab technician who we had been put in contact with, and he said that they had narrowed the possible problems with the first defective unit down to either a power supply issue or the processor itself. He said a full report would be available in the coming week.
    Fortunately, we have sold a few units to customers, and, so far, none have come back defective. However (and this is my own speculation, which does not reflect any opinions or statements of any Apple employee), the fact that there are possible power supply and processor issues with single processor machines may be indicative of what possible problems there may be with dual processor G5's, therefore causing a shipping delay. Take this information with the usual few grains of salt, as it is only my speculation.
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sweet. So are you guys gonna make a plaque or something to put on the wall? I would. :D "And over here is our offical plaque showing we had the first defective G5 ever" hehehe. I need to sleep more.

3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    it happens and you gotta deal with it. byt since this is a new product, apple will replace them very quickly, or at least i think they should.

4. WoofyMCSE macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    Don't count on Apple making everything better. They never replaced my Rev A B&W G3 with the defective IDE controller. I don't think I'm going to buy a Rev A G5
  5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    I think Apple will be more likely to take care of you since you have many of these machines going through your hands.

I hope, though, that these are isolated incidents. Perhaps chips 10249-10280 are bad because of a small malfunction at Fishkill that was overlooked. I hope this has nothing to do with the normal process itself.

Ah, well, there are always lemons...It sucks that they plopped into your hands.
  6. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    i wonder, though, if he is right about this being related to the dual G5 problems.

obviously, the powermac G5 has the most intensely complicated power system ever implemented in a personal computer that i can think of. it certainly stands to reason that such an issue could be very difficult to diagnose.
  7. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    With so many things sucking up juice its expectable to get a defective one, especially in Rev. A. Personally if I had the $$$ to get a G5 I would buy a rev. B, but then again i don't have the money to get a G5 so my opinion is tainted. If I had means to get one I might just snap a DP 2ghz up.:D :D :D ;) ;)
  8. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    what about the power outage at Fishkill?

They say all the chips were salvaged, but who knows what happens when all the lights go out?

Just another theory.
  9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    A few thoughts as I read your post:

1) Apple may not have been truthful about the "first defect" thing. It may be a standard line they're dishing out to cover their ass and restore your confidence in the product.

2) It's curious that your problems have so far been isloated to 1.8GHz processors -- I wonder if there's something unique to that particular proc/PM or perhaps both the 1.8 and the 2.0 (which could too be causing the delay).

3) That said, I'm sure the delay for the 2x2 is due to demand; the fact that the 2.0 is only offered in a configuration that uses twice as many of the highest-demand chip doesn't help.

4) I would guess the problem is related to the power management.