The First Ever First Person Shooter

Discussion in 'Games' started by thechris69, Jan 26, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Im 15, and ive been gaming since the days of N64, and my favorite game was james bond goldeneye. And i was wondering, what were some of the first shooting games to be in the first person view? and if u were a gamer then, how much did the new view and gameplay blow you away???

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The earliest I can think of would be Time Crisis for Playstation, or maybe doom?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

The first one I ever saw was Wolfenstein 3d. I was in junior high (I think) that would put it around 1990/91. This was also one first games where you didn't see the 'bullet'. You shot and the target reacted and vice versa. No slow moving glowing balls ala Contra.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Wolfenstein 3D was one of the first. Doom came later.

a fun game. i love it still.

6. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

yup, wolfenstine was the first, however it wasnt the first 3D FPS, I believe that was Quake 2, correct m if I'm wrong, that was at least the first Big one

7. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

What about Marathon? Bungie's early brainchild, before they were captured by the Dark Side.

8. Lazyhound macrumors regular

No, it wasn't. I'm going to have to say Battlezone as well.

EDIT: Wikipedia says Tail Gunner (1979) was first, Battlezone was second and came a year later.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

here is the Wikipedia article: linky

it seems to say that its really unclear.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't remember seeing Tail Gunner, but I played Battlezone a lot. Atari's vector processing technology for Battlezone and Asteroids was incredible at the time. The images were so well-defined.

Seeing the wikipedia page brought back a lot of memories. I played Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus on the Atari 800. There was also The Last Starfighter, which was released as Star Raiders II, due to marketing restrictions as well as a waning gaming market.

I don't really remember a FPS where u were walking, most everything was from above (Temple of Apshai, Castle Wolfeinstein) or a side scroller.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Didn't this game use the numeric keypad, that hardly any Atari games used? I so remember that.

Mmmm, okay, blast from the past Atari 2600... there was this game where you were some kind of adventurer in an alternate world. And you had to do all these different challenge rooms that were based on different elements of the zodiac, to get home, I think? And you collected pieces of some sort of puzzle. And it was way too hard and esoteric for me to solve when I was ... maybe nine. :( Similar conceptual feel to the Indiana Jones Atari 2600 game, but all based on this zodiac concept.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Games on the Atari 5200 (an Atari 800 computer without the keyboard) used a numeric keypad on each controller, as did those on the Jaguar, but there were no games using a numeric keypad and I don't know of anyone who owned the keypads.

Whether Star Raiders II was available on the 5200, I don't know.

13. Lazyhound macrumors regular

14. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Umm, even if you were remotely right, which you are not, I imagine Quake might have come before Quake 2.

Don't ya think?

Just possibly?

¿Qué?

:cool:

15. Lazyhound macrumors regular

16. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Wolfenstein 3D was much earlier then Time Crisis let alone Playstation. I use to go over to a friends house and play it on his computer so much he actually got mad at me.

Attached Files:

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sure, The Last Starfighter wasn't released under that name but the code lived with revisions as Star Raiders II for the computers and was released on ROM cartridge.

18. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Well that raises an interesting semantic issue, regarding the distinction between 3D and FPS, because most of those early games used a LOT of 2D sprites and textures to simulate 3D as they couldn't render everything on the fly.

Marathon being a good example, lots of 2D sprites seen from multiple angles.

But the OP was asking about FPS, which do not need to be fully truly utterly 3D to qualify I assume, just employ a FP viewpoint?…:confused:

19. Lazyhound macrumors regular

I meant the Atari 5200 version specifically.

Those are usually referred to as 2.5D.

Yup.

20. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

The first one I remember was Faceball for the Gameboy. It blew me away how you were in a maze, could only see what your character saw, etc. I should go back and play it.

21. Lazyhound macrumors regular

22. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Baaaaaaaahahaha. Oh, it hurts...

Well-played chap.

Also, whoever said 'Time Killers' (I'm assuming that's what you meant to say) or any other modern FPS game - should go and beat themselves with a hammer. That is all.

23. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

either marathon or wolfenstein 3D... not sure which. Did Wolfenstein 3D have an actual 3D engine? cause I know that marathon was actually layers of 2D or something like that, hence the fact that different levels of a map could not overlap...

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No, the use of sprites doesn't really have anything to do with 2.5D games. The "2.5D" refers to games like Doom and Wolfenstein3D and Duke Nukem and Marathon, because they use raycasting techniques instead of full 3D polygons. The maps are actually flat, as you can see by the use of overhead map views in all those games. (Although Marathon is a little more tricky.)

It's quite possible to use sprites in a fully 3D environment, like the first Wing Commander for example.

--Eric