The first P2P...

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Apr 29, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Anyone recall where they were when they discovered the first P2P network and how awesome and care-free it was?

It was 1999 for me. In my brother's dorm and Napster was all the rage. The first song I ever downloaded was a Hootie and the Blowfish song. Ha.

P2P is here to stay.

Cheers,
    _bnkr

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Back in the day (heh, check me out, I'm only 20 and I'm already saying "back in the day" :eek: ) it was Napster, WinMX, and the brilliance that was Morpheus :cool:

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

October 27, 2004. At about 5:30 PM (thats when I got cable)

Of course before then I knew what LimeWire was, Napster, Kazaa, ect.

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Mail lists, BB's, newsgroups. There still out there too, usually with super fast connections cause it's all hosted by your ISP.

Safer than the big P2P's too, cause the record companies (nobody for that case) cares about them.

BEN

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

ftp when i was 12 on a college campus (my parents work for a college).

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

IRC and web ftp searches. those were the glory days. i didn't get why everyone flipped out over napster, dcc was the fileserving king for a good while before.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Anonymous FTP. That was the Shizzle back in the day. You set up your ftp server and said have at. You set up a drop box(perhaps) with what you were looking for and a list of other hosts that you knew about.

That was so sweet.

Don't forget gopher, that was kinda cool too in a preweb googlish sort of way.

Yeah BBS's rocked.

8. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Not Exactly a P2P...

When I was in high school, a few of us used to share homework on a BBS that one of us ran. We had to do long definitions of a bunch of terms. We'd split the list up into three parts and then upload/download each other's work. A little rewording and BAM - homework done.

Then I remember one day when the teacher held the other two students after class - I thought they were busted for sure. Turns out, he just wanted to praise them for their work - and after an assignment that I'd done 100% myself because they had been busy that week!

I decided not to make too much of the situation, as it would have obviously exposed our educational web of deceit. :D

9. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Wow, and you came back in time to tell us about it! j/k ;)

I was a late comer to broadband (and the internet in general), so I don't have any fond memories of Napster. I do second the carefree notion though. Everytime I go onto a P2P, I imagine FBI agents with M16's breaking in through my door.

10. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

oh yeah, back in the days of macster (before it was fully integrated with napster, and renamed) before anyone cared about music downloads...those were the days, it must have been mid 1998, i guess, and we had just gotten an internet connection at home (but it was cable, so that kinda made up for years of lacking)

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

IRC is still the place to be, all the good stuff is normally there before it gets released to the popular P2P networks. DCCs RAWK!

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

AOL chat rooms. Bots would e-mail you files you want and you can download them.

I once downloaded a 800MB game through 56k....those were the days :eek:

13. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Wow, you can see the future... I wonder if Bush looks like a loser by then, I hope so... Just kidding guy. You have a typo, it's alright though... At least you're responding.

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

IRC, newsgroups, web site postings... Napster.

Glory days of the P2P life.

While all of them are still around one way of another

IRC still strong for 'the underground'
    newgroups -- fallen out of site of people, but still kick ass
    Napster -- 'Lives' on in "OpenNap" ... but that SHOULD die soon.

Another network that should die is Gnutella... can't scale... can't scale!