THE FIX for PowerBook 'comas'!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Sep 25, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    This thread originally was about PowerBooks not waking properly from sleep. In my case at least, occasionally, the innards will whir up as well as external HDs, but the screen will not come on. After many trips and tries, it finally acted up at an Apple Store for the 'Genius'. After explaining the history of the problem to him, he suggested that it might be the logic board. I thought, "GASP, not another Apple laptop logic board issue!" Anyway, he said that to make sure it was the logic board I needed to pull out my third party RAM and boot from a clean install, or from the install disc itself, and if it still has the problem, Apple will gladly repair it for me, paying for shipping both ways, etc. I'm in the middle of the semester out at college, and so I can't be without my laptop for a week+ right now, but if I can get the problem to occur under those circumstances, I think that I'm going to send it in Thanksgiving time. Remember you'll also probably have to be under warranty, or at least AppleCare though.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    so, did the tip from the apple guy work, or no? And if there was already another tread, why did you start a new one? Your at college, doesn't your college have some computers to use while you wait? Apple is pretty quick on getting repairs done and back out to the customers, so you might just want to do it now.