The Fog

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Sep 30, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

'John Carpenter's: The Fog' is one of my absolute bestest™ films... a perfect blend of Lovecraft'esque, lo-fi celluloid creepyness. :)

So I was incredulous when I first heard that a remake was in the pipeline :rolleyes: but I have to admit, I think it's looking pretty damn good judging by the trailer. :D

Trailer

Rinky dink link

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I always thought John Carpenter's version tapered off after a promising beginning — particularly with the 'phantom' events happening in the grocery store and elsewhere... it was sometime after that film that his golden touch deserted him.

As so often in horror films, once the nemesis is shown, it somehow lessens the creepiness.

This looks OK but nothing too special. Haven't seen an effective horror film for years — too much knowing irony and/or witless teens in peril with real nastiness sugar-coated to obtain that certificate that enables a wider release.

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

You know, I said almost exactly the same thing not long after I first started posting on MR. :)

I'd agree with you about Carpenter as well, he went downhill after 'Christine'.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

On one hand, it makes no. 1 in US box office.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds25271.html

On the other, Harry just absolutely loves it... not.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21562

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Harry Knowles is a giant (ha ha) fan boy who's given to hyperbole... his reviews are only worth reading for any spoilers they might provide.

The fact that the producers of the film wouldn't allow critics to have advance screenings says enough for me...

I agree... she's a hottie.

7. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

They wouldn't screen it for Ebert and Roeper, so they gave it the wagging finger of shame.

Has anyone actually seen it. I'm not expecting much, but the above reviewer seems to be very biased.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You think?

Take your pick. :)

9. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Ouch. The TV guide review confirmed my thoughts.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I like this one. :D

http://efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=13169&reviewer=128

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Great. Now I have to watch it. The same sort of Waterworld fascination.

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Wowser, damn they're harsh. :eek:

But then, J.C.'s original got a massively panned at the time and I think it's pukka. ;) :D

I seldom read critics reviews anyway, I can think for myself... I don't need them telling me what constitutes a good or bad film etc etc.

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Thsi just goes into the 30 year old pile of "Movies claiming to be horror but aren't scary at all." Not since the exorcist has a truely creepy, frightening movie been released.

My goal: To make a movie that literally makes women piss themselves, make men tremble in fear, and make children sleepless for months, afraid of being left with something so horrifying.

You can chock it up to desensitization, it's probably true. But that still doesn't mean I have to sit through these movies with a girl because it's a "horror" movie. Give me a ******** break.

I guess I should start work on MY "horror" film: Martha Stuart Does Maggie Thatcher. NOW THAT, is more horrific than any horror movie in a LONG TIME!