The Folding@Home team updates thread

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by techfreak85, Dec 23, 2010.

1. techfreak85, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

macrumors 68040

techfreak85

This thread is about information regarding the overall Folding@home team, particularly changes in team ranking and daily point output.

(Originally titled Looks like our folding team just dropped two places...)

OP starts here:__________
    ...to #60...with another team set to pass us in about a week.:(
    I'm working on Bigadvs now, but it wont be enough. We need more members that will run bigadvs.

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

We'll have to be patient. Unless we can magically have 2 computers folding medium units it we won't last long.

3. macrumors 604

MacBandit

I know it's not enough to stop the drop but I just added a second PS3 to my numbers. I've been using my MacBook to rerender a bunch of videos lately once it's done I'll be back to folding with it again. This will bring me from my typical 1200-1600points/day average up to around 2,600-2,800.

4. macrumors 6502

The team who are overtaking us are really strong, most likely dropouts from the big teams. Not much we can do about it. Bigadv is still where the big PPD are, especially now with the 6 cores Xeon, very fast for one CPU packages.

5. macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah there's no doubt about it, we need more users. i think we need to get more active on here, and then more users will come.

we really need more users with those new mac pros that can run the bigadv units. i'm doing all i can, but we need a lot more

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've tried to keep a picture log of the team's stats here on my own forum. you'll have to be logged in to view the pics.

basically, we had 132 million points back on 16 Oct 2009, and were ranked #60.

we got down to #57 with 202 million points on 20 July 2010.

and now we are back at #60 with over 256 million points today, and we will be passed within a week and will be #61

7. thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Quite an... urm... interesting forum...why does it look like a lot of posts are just copy overs from MR? :p

8. macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i was bored so i was testing out some scripts to test my server. i don't use that forum except for keeping track of stuff now, like folding. but that's not the point of this thread.

9. macrumors P6

twoodcc

man these 2684's are killing me. i didn't make the deadline for the last one b/c of 2 power outages

10. macrumors G5

jav6454

How? Unless the power outages were each 6 hours long, there is no way. However, since it's full blown snow storms up north, I guess those must be common, just like down here in Honduras. Albeit for entire different reasons:D:p:eek:

I forgot to mention, if anyone has a PS3, download the Folding client to it! It works towards keeping our pace!

11. macrumors 6502

gatepc

I usually just use my PS3 guess I should ramp it up then? Running full throttle on MBP i7 for a while! Using laptop on my lap.... the pain it burns! Ah my legs on fire!

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I wonder how many team members don't even know about the passkey/bonus system? Could we up output by educating them about that, as well as client configuration?

13. macrumors P6

twoodcc

well the 2684s take much longer for me to complete. on top of that, i wasn't home when the power outages hit, so it took awhile to get everything back up and running. and then another power outage...

yeah i have my ps3 folding when i'm not using it.

yeah might as well fold with your ps3 when you aren't using it. yeah i wouldn't use that mbp on your lap

hey not a bad idea. just start a new thread about it

14. macrumors 6502

gatepc

I keep seeing it discussed but I don't know what it is. What is the best way to fold? What gets me the most points I know I can add things to the advanced section what do I put? And what is passkey.

15. macrumors G5

jav6454

Passkey make you even more unique since it verifies it is actually you the one folding points. At least that's how I get it. Furthermore, with a passkey, you get more bonuses than without.

16. macrumors regular

17. macrumors 6502

gatepc

18. macrumors G5

jav6454

If your computer is powerful enough to handle -bigadv units and deliver results on time then do those. Why? Biggest PPD ratio ever.

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

If he is running on the Macbook Pro, Bigadvs wont work.

Is this the Macbook Pro we are talking about? Also, what folding client are you using? The system preferences pane? How often do you close the lid, put it to sleep, or shut it down?

20. macrumors 6502

gatepc

It is a MacBook Pro i7 it stays on 24/7 and always sits on my desk I rarely transport it anywhere. So leaving the application running won't be a problem

and yes I am using the system preference pane

21. macrumors G5

jav6454

Try terminal client? It's less invasive.

22. thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Ok... as for additional parameters, type
    Code:
    -smp 2 -advmethods
    Make sure you set up your passkey. After completing 10 units with it, you should start getting bonus points.

23. macrumors 6502

gatepc

Alright thanks a ton guys will fold for a long long time.

24. thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

And you're set up to fold for team 3446 right?

25. macrumors 6502

gatepc

Of course I already have around 480 folds on the team thanks to my PS3.