The Food Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by cslewis, Oct 10, 2004.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I'm curious... what are the general MacRumors populace's favorite foods? I am sitting in front of the computer eating leftovers and I was wondering what other members like to chow down on. Be sure to chose from one of the four food groups- salty, greasy, sticky, and gooey! :p ;) :D

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Salty: salted macademias, bloody mary
    Greasy: fish & chips
    Sticky: potato salad
    Gooey: hummus

+ anything Chinese or my Italian friend's puttanesca sauce... or that thing she does with deep-fried aubergines, or roast vegetables of any variety...

Must stop, right now.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

John Kruk was onced asked what he normally ate during the day. He said he had cerial for breakfast, pasta for dinner, and beer all day. I could live off that.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Those almost sound like the four types of fast food commonly offered around here.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

salty: corn nuts or guacamole or chorizo and bean tacos (could also go in greasy i suppose).
    greasy: fried chicken. bacon's good too, as are crab cakes and latkes (only good when extra-greasy) and fried green beans
    sticky: buffalo wings or perhaps pecan pie (could also be classified as gooey i suppose)
    gooey: warm bread pudding, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies or sweet potato pie
    im a pretty big eater and don't usually eat food that's very good for me...

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Better yet would be to choose from the five tastes, sweet, bitter, salty, sour, and MSG.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

MSG = umami

mmm...

8. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I usually eat pretty well. I never eat soda and don't get much junk food. But a few things I love:

Rootbeer Floats
    Fritos
    Fried Chicken
    Iced Tea with Lemon
    Hershey's bars
    All Czech Cuisine (part of my heritage)

Mmmm... :D

9. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

mmm cottage cheese with a few apple slices and a tall glass of water.

edit: i enjoy chitlins as well.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife is a great cook. She makes most things from scratch. Buys most fresh ingredients. Enjoys experimenting with ingredients. I just enjoy most foods in general. In my case, can eat just about anything.

11. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Pretty much anything, except liver. That's why I'm fat. :rolleyes: If my favorite food runs out, I always have another sitting around. Guess I should buy more liver. :D

12. mooshoo macrumors regular

Well, let's see here. I run my own business, selling all kinds of european style deli items. We also do catering on the side. I cook everything that we sell. There's about 20 items that are always available, like salads, pastas, soups, entrees and what not.

At the end of a long day in the kitchen though, I always walk down the street to have a giant bowl of hot, steaming, hand-made ramen noodles. That just wraps up the day for me. After working with truffles, foi gras and the like all day, it gets boring real fast!

13. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

hmm, pizza, tacos, enchiladas, spanish style rice, anything Chinese, donuts, bacon cheeseburgers, green beans, chicken fried steak, and granola bars. I cannot pick a favorite from these, so they must all be my favorite :D

14. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

hmm... I would have to say:
    -salty: popcorn
    -greasy: hmm... either really yummy lasagna, or deep dish pizza (Zachary's specifically, for those of you from the Bay Area)
    -sticky: mountain dew (yeah yeah... I've heard of all of the horrible problems it causes)
    -gooey: Marshmallow cream. I don't know if they even sell it anymore, but they did when I was younger, and it was sooo good. Plus, I can't think of anything else one would classify as "gooey"

15. Uuugggg macrumors newbie

You asked for it :
    My Igor Bar (if anyone's heard of 'em)
    Layers:
    • Cookie
    • Melted chocolate
    • Brownie
    • Melted caramel
    • Rice krispies treats
    • Frosting

I also eat a lot of Cheerio's. Arrr.

16. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Nachos... with hot cheese and/or guacamole and/or chili :eek: , that when it's late and I'm working at home...

17. Opteron macrumors 6502

18. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well im sat here eating sunflower seeds but im not normally that healthy. i had a really nice dominoes pizza the other day ... mmm

19. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Salty: Anchovies (on really thin crispy pizza with olives, tomato, not much cheese)
    Greasy: UK fish and chips, hash browns
    Sticky: Profiteroles, anything with maple syrup
    Gooey: Hummus, US chili

Also ... vindaloo, japanese, Thai, arabic mezze, tapas, (real) Yorkshire puddings, hangi, tripe ... well ... anything really, except parsnips, and that offal soup I had with a Cantonese mate in Melbourne Chinatown a few years ago :eek:

(Wash any of these down with Black Sheep from Masham in Yorkshire)

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sacrilege!

How can a Kiwi even imply the fish & chips are better in the UK than NZ?
    That's one thing I miss about NZ...

Traitor.

(I suppose next you'll be supporting England when the All Blacks hit town)

:)

21. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Kiwi F&C never reach the sublime greasiness of UK F&C (particularly here in the North, where "real" shops use animal fat instead of oil, and a serving of chips has the consistency of trifle.) I have yet to find anything quite as greasy (although the deep fried Mars Bars in Glasgow come close - esp with the tomato sauce).

(Nope ... I support the All Blacks, and all those who play the West Islanders)

22. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

salty: Cheetos are great
    greasy: Tripe Tacos
    sticky: I suppose Gum
    gooey: Mole is Yummy and Gooey :-D (Mole the Mexican chicken in chocolate sauce, and not the burrowing animal)

23. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

umm...call me stupid but what's a profiterole?