the foreign or american vehicle issue...

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Jun 25, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

it really seems to heat each sides zelots up... i guess .. cuase thier zelots right? i think its hillarious though.. anyways...

any reason why? also is it generally true that foreign vehilcles last longer then american vehicles....with the same amount of good maintanance? if so why do you think? if not state why not? blah blah blah etc. etc. please no one get offended here. im just trying to learn some stuff and i want to see what you all might say on this topic... not trying to step on anyones toes. if you flame me understand that youve been pre warned.

2. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

All my american cars (GM and Chevrolet) have had NO problems what soever. If you buy a foreign you are making someone in another country rich, While if you buy an american car you are supporting the people around you by keeping them in work (75% of the people that live by me work in the auto industry, I live in south-east michigan, NOT IN DETROIT!).

Foreign cars are way, WAY over priced:rolleyes:

Who in their right mind would buy a VW piss-on for the price it sells for, Its just not worth it.

Come on america! Where is the import tax like other countries have! I know its free enterprise but what will happen when there is no more american car companies left (years and years from now) and the foreign cars take over completely? Who will build our military vehicles, The japanese? hah! Thats a real good IDEA!

Come on people, Buy a REAL car! ;)

(the only foreign cars I like are super cars, f**k Honda, Toyota, Infinity, VW, BMW (they have wintels onboard), ect...)

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Why not!? Heh.... :D :p :D :p

irmongoose

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Dude, that is why the globalization is just not working. If you are not going to buy foreing cars do not sell your overseas, that would be fear. And do not by Apple computer neither, those are not made in the US as far as I know. But the situation is not that.

In Venezuela and the rest of lating america you have 3 options, if you want a car that last you for ever get a Toyota, if you do not have that much money get a Chevrolet or a GM, if you have no money get a Fiat.

Out side of the US is better to get a non US made car, the trucks are fine but the regular family car is not a good deal ex. Ford Explorer. Inside the US is better to get a ford or Chevrolet just because the parts are cheaper.

You have to undertand this, in the US you can change cars very easilly, may be once a year or each two years, you have credits, you have a stable inmcome, you have GOOD roads, etc.

Out side the US you need a very well made car because you may use it for 10 or 20 years, of course you best choise is a Toyota or Mitsubishi, specially if you do not have credits, the economy is inestable and parts are expensive or not avalible.

If I were in the US I could get any car. To get a Toyota is not a good deal but for sure if you want durability that would be the choise. It is just like a Mac. A GM or a Ford is like a PC, bunch of plastic and fancy but not durable, forget about the car after 3 or 5 years. And that is because the industry there is made that way to mantain it self.

I do not think the US will quit exporting cars, there is a place for everything. For sure the best thing to do is to built better cars, but then, they wouldn't sell that many in a long term I think. It is different the inner comerce and the foreing one, outside there is more competition.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You think US prices are expensive for foreign cars?
    Here in the UK we have the most expensive car prices in europe, even cars built here are still cheaper to buy on the continent :mad: It's a joke!

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

can someone in europe order me a smart car and then send it to me?

thanks.

:D

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Are you f**king kidding me? Geez. GM, Ford (fix or repair daily, eh??) and Pontiac have to be the weakest examples of car making around! And you know, Honda's are mostly made in the USA. The fact of the f**king matter is that in today's market you'd be hard-pressed to find a "truly" american made car.

Or a truly "foreign" car. All have aspects and parts that are garnered from all over the world. I bet you'd be surprised to know that some components in tanks are from japanese tech companies. Ah well. Your jingoistic tone is really cloying!

You're comment about "If you buy a foreign you are making someone in another country rich, While if you buy an american car you are supporting the people around you by keeping them in work" is pretty off base as well. I have owned, since 1992 a VW beetle (1976) which I had for three years. The only thing that went wrong with that guy was an exhaust system death (hell, it was 16 years old--pretty good I say. :) ). After that I had a Saab 900 which has 115,000 miles on it when I bought it and 175,000 when i decided to trade it in. Never a problem with it. I have since leased a 1997 VW Jetta (again, no problems, ever) and now own a 2000 Jetta. Again, that car has been perfect.

My sister owns a Passat and a Jetta and they have never had a problem--except when they took it in for an oil change and stuff was screwed up by-- YEP! YOU GUESSED IT!!-- the precious american auto worker. The problem is that 99.9% of the mechanics, the auto dealerships, the repair shops, etc. are morally bankrupt and corrupt here in the glorious USA.

And the other fact is that GM, Chrysler, Ford are no better than Enron. They pull out of cities like Lordstown, OH, not realizing that 90% of the city will become a ghost town when they roll out. And for what? Higher profit margins elsewhere. If it ever comes down to your death-knell of "no american cars" it'll likely be due to an enron style implosion from the fat-cat corporate bosses in Detroit as opposed to a couple thousand people choosing a Mini Cooper or VW Jetta over a gas guzzling, getting bigger american tank (SUV)

8. big macrumors 65816

big

(shameless plug) we could just build better towns....and not drive

or I'll just keep driving my F150 to and fro, it's old and sounds like an old truck, but its all American and looks like it. I love it.

easy to work on, sheap parts etc... etc...

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Also, very true....But I think we should also have special licensing for SUV drivers.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ice, I have to disagree with you on this one my brother.

1st) Many, many foriegn cars are made here in the USA. Stop buying them, say good by to tens of thousands of American Jobs. BMW Z3, Mercedes SUV series, Hyundi, Toyota, Honda. Especially Toyota and Honda. The Camery, and Siennas are made here I know that for sure. The Accord, and other Honda's are as well.

Personally, I think that foreign cars are made better than American cars. I think that is because in the US the price war goes to the lowest bidder. Think about that. Every, and I mean every American car that I have ever owned in my 32 years has had major problems. I have had over 15 cars in my life. Yes, I have changed a lot, but every foriegn car has had no problems really. The only exception to that is my Mazda MPV mini van that the ole lady drives. Had to have a water pump at 135,000 miles. My honda has 195,000 miles, and still gets 35 mpg, and runs with no problems. Oh, it just had to have a water pump as well, and it has the original clutch. Find me an American car that can say that. My first Toyota truck had 315,000 miles on it when I sold it and it still ran fine.

Face it, foriegn companies build better cars. Especially fine cars. Yea, a Caddilac can compete with a Mercedes. BS. I used to sell Caddies, and they were overprices POS. Vettes, yea, they are awesome cars, and after 3 years they are friggin rattle traps. Lincoln. HA! That is funny. Find me an American made car that can really compete with any BMW, or Mercedes, hell, even a Volvo for that matter. How about against the Accord? Where are the cars to compete against the Porsche's, Ferrari's and such? Were are the American equivilants to the M3, M5? Where are the American Lexus 430's? There aren't any. Because American cars suck. Period.

Go buy a ford Taurus. 20k right. One month later it is worth 10k if you are lucky. Go buy a Honda Accord. 20k right. One month later it is worth 17,500k.

Nuff said.

11. big macrumors 65816

big

yeah that's what your buying, a ford taurus, that car stinks...so do plenty or foreign cars.

American's build good cars that fit the american lifestyle. no foreign company can match that, ie...a Crown Victoria, Cadillac or Pick up

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Americans do build good cars. The Accord, Camery, Sienna, BMW Z3, Mercedes SUV. Those are great cars that Americans build. Now, GM, Ford, Dodge, etc. Can't design a car worth a ****! Yea, the crown vic fits that 85 years old, no teeth left in their head lifestyle. Yea, go pay 50k for a Caddy and in a month it is worth 25k. Yea, the one thing we do build right and design right is trucks. Unless of course you factor in that the wheelbases are to narrow, and the majority will roll with a slight summer breeze thrown at it.

I will take a Lexus, Infiniti, Volvo, Saab, or Jaquar over any American high end sedan. I will take a Camery, Accord, Sonnata, etc over any American sedan. You mean to tell me that you would rather have a crown vic over a BMW 3 series! Get real!

13. big macrumors 65816

big

now the BMW is nice, however I could more easily afford the crown vic, that's one bad a** mother when it comes down to the wire.

(why do police use em for so long, I've seen muscle cars that couldnt touch a stock crown vic, take off the govenor of course)

as far as trucks, your on crack, I've never seen a full size truck flip (plenty of Bronco II's and SUV's though)

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, since this IS a Mac forum, B2TM has provided some interesting comments--and he's right on. The reason I choose a Macintosh Computer (aside from professional usage) is almost identical to why I choose a VW or a Saab or Mini-- that being that, for example, the way the door closes on a Saab is akin to the way the finder works on a Mac and so on. The ease of use, the elegance, the form AND the function-- all blow away PCs and in this case, a Ford Taurus/Focus Pontiac Grand Am/Firebird/Ect or a Chevy Camaro/Cavalier/Metro whatever

A Metro is like an eMachine.
    A Taurus is like a Compaq
    A Grand AM is like an HP
    The Crown Vic might be a VAIO (not completely useless)

Etc Etc Etc.

But then there's the VW-- stylish, better cost of ownership, maybe not as fast as the crown vic but it works-- the console is designed well, the controls are where they should be, the little details have been sweated over and over.

Remind you of, say an Titanium lap top? ;) And then there's the Mini-- remind you of an iBook???

And the Jaguar... well, does that remind you of OS X.2 (or whatever they call it.)

:) :) :)

Elegance. Class. Style. Functionality. Performance. All VERY overlapping features of a Mac and a foreign car.

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

K. First off yes, the SUVs will flip like a 13 year old girl for the backstreet boys. Sorry, I wasn't talking about the trucks, although head down to your local junk yard, you will see plenty of fullsize trucks that have flipped. Now dude, sorry, but you are the one on crack.

Yea, 0-60 in 8.8 seconds with a top speed of 118 MPH for the crown vic police edition. They use them because they are cheap and durable. Damn near every muscle car ever made can take that. Hell, my 83 RX-7 can take it. Sorry the crown vic may be a lot of things (bloated, heavy, gas guzzler, ugly, slow) But it ain't fast in any stretch of the word.

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Since you asked for it...

[fair warning] I have several cases and kegs of 'Whoop-Ass' stocked up and ready for deployment. [/fair warning]

I am a Ford man, always been, probably always will be. Every Ford that either I, or my family has owned, has lasted over 10-15 years. In 1999 I started to lease a new Ranger, with the lease ending early April of this year (15k miles per year allotment). I turned it in and purchased a 2002 Ranger XLT Supercab 4-door 4x4 off road package *inhale* black mother-f*cker of a truck... :D With the 4 liter V6 (207HP) it moves like a race car. The 16" wheels make it a little higher off the ground then my old one (that had 15" wheels) but that is a GOOD thing (especially up in New England). I am very happy with both the interior and exterior of the truck, the way it handles and rides. The only things I have done to it are add a bug deflector on the hood, vent shades on the door windows, some bed rails/protectors, bed matt, and bed extender (adds 18" to the usable bed area). When I go for my first service (at ~3k miles), I will have some more diamond plate added to the bed (the rail covers are diamond plate now). The only other thing I can think of would be a trailer hitch at some point (IF I decide to go on a trip and want to bring the Harley with me).

My other vehicle is a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. THAT is a svelte vehicle. Ask anyone that has been on one, and they will tell you (unless they are brain damaged/brain dead that is). :p I will be customizing that for the next several years (to make it unique) but that is a labor of love. :D :p Owning a Harley is more then just something to ride, it's also a life style.

I will only purchase vehicles made by American companies. Harley's ARE made here, NOT over seas or someplace with cheap assed labor. MY Ford truck WAS made here in the US (manufacture location is on the door sticker :p). While Ford may get parts from other companies (and other countries) I know that at least mine was built by Americans. As for the Harley, the only thing that I can think of that might be made outside the US are the carb.'s. That is, until I change them, or install that hypercharger I have been looking at... :D

BTW, Both IBM and Apple are US based companies... IBM being the oldest computer company in existance, Apple being the best. :D

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You couldn't GIVE me ANY vw vehicle, period, end of story...

Also, Jaguar is now a division of Ford... :p :D

18. big macrumors 65816

big

where do you get that info?

all right then, Chevy makes a car that looks like the Crown Vic, (Can't remember its name) but it screams.....I'll look for it here in a little bit

your right about the pick ups, I've seen one or two at the dump flipped, but if you used a car the same way you did a pick up, you'd see more of those kinds of accidents. it just comes from sitting higher, usage, etc...

what about the thunderbird, that's one sweet car...not around long enough to know how it holds together though

chrysler's muscle cars? (Pt Cruiser is a joke)

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Right. You couldn't give me a jaguar (talk about a company going down hill-- they tanked since getting bought by ford. horrid stories about the cars and the new ones look like rehashed taurus') but I couldn't resist the jaguar/jaguar line.

You also couldn't give me a ford.

Difference of opinion. Just as much as i'd rather have an Indian bike as opposed to a harley. (don't wanna get flamed here, just expressing an opinion)

that said, have you ever driven a new VW? The consoles just make SO MUCH sense. The radio is in a place where you can control it without looking away, the shifter is the perfect size, the clutches feel amazing (can you get a manual on a ford???), the trucks are spacious, they come with a full size spare, etc etc etc.

But yea, opinions are opinions. I'd buy a ford truck if i had a use for one. Aside from that, i'd be caught dead ina ford and that's about it.

20. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

21. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Globalized companies.

Go to Ford, GM or Chrysler's web pages and look around at the various brands:

GM owns:

Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, EV1, GMC, Holden, Hummer, Oldsmobile, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhaul, Fiat, Subaru, Isuzu, Suzuki. As well as owning a large block of stock in Toyota, who makes Lexus.

Ford owns:

Volvo, Mazda, Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, Astin Martin, Land Rover.

So who's screwing who here?:p :D :rolleyes:

Do a little research before being so pompous. Oh yeah: The big a** Diesel in the large size GM trucks is made by Isuzu with an Allison tranny.

22. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Globalized companies.

Which is why, ideally, I'd buy a VW, an Alfa Romeo (i know, I know... but I AM italian!) or a BMW.

It's like, if we only had VW and say, GM, it'd be apple vs. Microsoft. Look at what ford has done to Jaguar and Volvo. Volvo is quickly losing its style and jags look like bloated uglier taurus' these days.

Anyway, I think my next car is gonna be another VW. Or an Audi or Porsche. :)
    The germans REALLY know how it is done.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Globalized companies.

R u 4 real? What about the XK8 and XKR, u don't like?

I love Aston Martin, they are the dogs boll**ks!
    That new Vanquish is one mean machine, not to mention 007's new motor...I want one! :D

24. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Re: Re: Globalized companies.

The vanquish has some great style to it. Plus, I am a james bond spy nut.

But the XK8 looks like a bloated taurus. Really. It does. The XJ sedans are the only ones that really capture the jaguar style IMHO.

Give me an Alfa 166 any day. We So need to get them imported in the US again. :) :) :) :)

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Big, the chevy you speak of is the Impalla. 0-60 times in the 8's. Go to car and driver, road and track, or motortrend. They are pigs. Since when is the PT cruiser a muscle car? It is a neon with a different body on it. When I say muscle car I am talking about a 78 Chevy Nova, 69 Chevelle, 68 Camero, 66 Mustang, 71 Mach 1. Hell, even the new Mustang GT's have 0-60 times in the 5.9 range.

Now look at the RX-7 the last year it was made 0-60 in 4.9, look at the Astin Martins 0-60. Look at the NSX, Porsche 911 Turbo, hell even the vette. Point is, back in the 70's American cars were the shiznit. 80's they went to hell, and have not gotten better in the 90's. The Mustang, Camero, Trans Am, and Vette have been staples, but they fall apart around 100,000 miles. Can't say the same for others out there. American sedans suck. Bigtime!

Alpha, you are right about Ford. By far the best American automobile maker there is.

And for Trucks, yea, we make them better than anyone, although the Toyota will last longer. Far longer than any American made truck.