The Former Iraqi Army

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Dec 1, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

All this talk lately of the silver bullet being the training of Iraqi forces to eventualy provide security for their own country, has got me thinking: whatever happened to the former Iraqi army? I can't stop thinking of what it would have been like for Iraq if Paul Bremer hadn't gone and fired all of them.

These guys were a fairly well trained fighting force weren't they? The Republican Guard? If the United States had just made them happy by trippling their salary, wouldn't they had been able to provide the necessary security for Iraq, without having to go and start from scratch by training a totally new army?

I wonder what has happened to all of them? Some of them have joined the Sunni insurgency I know, but what about the rest of them? I never hear anything about these guys anymore. :confused:

Rumsfeld should have said: "You don't build a country with the army you wish you had, but the one you already have." :cool:

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

They were "de-Baathified", and disbanded along with the police force, which was the stupidest idea in a series of very stupid ideas aroud the time of the invasion. Pacify 20m+ people plus thousands of foreign people just waiting for a chance to have a crack at American soldiers with a couple of hundred thousand troops who are not trained to police and are mainly confined to barracks, only venturing out when heavily armed? Did it work in Northern Ireland? No.

At least in Basra the British army built on their experiences in Nothren Ireland and went about like a police force - lightly armed and not done up in their Sunday best body armour and helmets. It was actually working for a while until cumulative **** ups made the situation kick off in the south

IIRC most of the army was a conscript army, but would still have made an effective enough seurity force, if even SOME of them had ben kept on. I mean how clever is it when in your first move after conquering a country you throw a million people out of their jobs?

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It's also kind of amazing that this is being treated as if it's a new idea. Haven't we been training the Iraqi troops so that we can stand down as they stand up for years now?

The way Bremmer managed Iraq makes me think that criminal negligence should be added to the list, along with war crimes, that political leaders can be charge with.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We have suppose to have been training these guys for years now just as you stated but the amount of real troops trained vs what we were told are trained have been two different storys. Like most that has come out of the Bushies. 4 years later and its like they just started? they cant even secure Baghdad without U.S. troops? I think we have been lied to again.

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I first thought it was spelt that way too, and then I thought: "maybe I should check and make sure."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bremer

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll be fair. It's been difficult. Lots of Iraqi troops are being killed, and a lot of their divisions have been infiltrated.

But...that again just serves to demonstrate the futility of the whole situation. It's been obvious for a while that the Iraqis can't defend their country, yet Bush keeps pretending it's gonna happen while the violence gets worse, not better. And Bush keeps flogging al-Maliki to do something. Like what???

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush has been eager to outsource everything, our borders, our ports,our companies, I wonder if he has thought of outsourcing the running of Iraq to Saddam? He didnt seem to have any problem running this country even after we drove him out of Kuwait & destroyed his army.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No, but he is considering hiring Wackenhut guards to patrol Iraq.

I understand he's also talking to ADT about the Mexican border.

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

The US ordered that the Iraqi army be disbanded after we secured the country. This was at the same time we forgot to put troops near the museums in Baghdad holding some of the oldest things produced by modern man.

Considering how many families depended on the meager income of those Iraqi soldiers, it turned out to be the biggest blunder of the war to disband the army.

10. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

For the life of me I can't figure out why they did that. I would have put all those guys on a payroll and used some of the more skilled fellas to train the new recruits. I wonder if any of the former soldiers have joined the new army. :confused:

11. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I'm going to guess that 1/3 went to Sadr, 1/3 went to Bin Laden. Of the 1/3 that tried to join the new Iraqi army, I don't want to think about how many lost their lives when guerillas detonated IEDs in the midst of the long long lines that formed every time a new regiment of the Iraqi army was being recruited.

12. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Since most Iraqis seem to want the US out, is it not more accurate to say that the army has been infiltrated ... by a few people loyal to the government installed by the occupation force?