"The Fountain"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by clayj, Nov 25, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Saw this yesterday evening...

Now, before I begin, let me just say that I am a great admirer of Darren Aronofsky's work. I loved his first movie, Pi, and Requiem for a Dream is just a great flick despite (or perhaps because of) its subject matter. (Of course, Ellen Burstyn's performance in Requiem is just amazing.) So I was really, really looking forward to The Fountain.

You've probably already guessed where this is going... I came away from this movie with a sort of "meh" feeling. The visuals are pretty cool, and I liked how the story jumps from the past (Tomas) to the present (Tommy) to the future (Tom)... but beyond that, it came off as a sort of "guy meets girl, guy loves girl, guy loses girl, guy will do anything to get her back" sort of story. The comparisons I've seen between this movie and 2001: a space odyssey are, in my mind, undeserved; 2001 stands head and shoulders over The Fountain.

Anyway, if you liked Pi or Requiem, you will probably like The Fountain (like, not love)... but if you haven't seen either of those two movies, I don't know if you'll appreciate The Fountain.

2. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

aw. kind of a bummer. but i love aronofsky's work so i'm still looking forward to seeing this.

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Movies like "The Fountain" probably require multiple viewings to fully appreciate. I hated Mulholland Drive first time I saw it, now it's one of my favs. :)

4. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

You missed it. Not in anyway being elitist. But the film was about mortality. The love story was just a utensil. I loved the film: the visuals, the music, the stunning performances. Ive had the soundtrack on repeat since seeing the film late last night. Its thought-provoking, and intriguing on the subject of spirituality. See it for yourself. Do not let a single opinion sway you in any way. The critics were utterly wrong on this one. They are typically up-tights with big thesauruses who hate being confused anyways. Yet also typically they whine that so many films reveal too much and allow you to think too little.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I was kinda drunk when I saw this movie so it was real trippy....I had like three beers and some fradi wisky so I was feeling lovely.

Bless