The French GP Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jul 2, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

So after the back-to-back races of Montreal and Indy... we come to yet another back-to-back sequence of races... first off the French GP at Magny-Cours followed by the Brit GP at Silverstone next weekend. :D

I have to admit that I find this race abit nondescript and as such I'm not much a fan of this race. The circuit is okay... abit of a juxtaposition of other famous circuits, but I can't help but feel that Circuit Paul Ricard is a better racetrack and would throw up better races than Magny-Cours has in the past.

This weekend is going to be a very difficult one to call, even after wins for Schu and Ferrari in both the Canadian and U.S. GP's it's the first time this season that on a proper racetrack Ferrari has looked vulnerable in race trim.

In Canada they were heavily outqualified, and in the race were somewhat flattered by other teams falling over themselves but managed to come through for the win, yet in Indy had it not been for the SC Periods, Sato's BAR on the Michelins would have been bang up there come the latter part of the race, and with that crazy kid behind the wheel... anything is possible! ;)

This weekend also throws up the added possibilties of a completely revised McLaren, the MP4-19B and a heavily revised BMW Williams FW26. The McLaren simply cannot be any worse than the MP4-19 that McLaren have raced so far this season, the reliability has been pi$$ poor and they've lacked in pretty much every area coming in on an average of 1.4-1.5 seconds a lap slower than the Ferrari.

Newey has stated that the sim predictions for the 19B show a solid performance increase, but I think that it's unlikely/unrealistic to close the gap to the Ferrari in one step. But any increase is a good thing as we really need to see Kimi up at the front were he undoubtedly deserves to be.

My predictions for quali and the race... (dry) I'm going to go for a Schu Win but a BAR pole, if Sato can keep it together he'll beat Button... ;)

So grid

1. Button (head says pole)
    2. Sato (heart says pole)
    3. Schu
    4. Barrichello
    5. Trulli
    6. Raikkonen

Race

1. Schu
    2. Barrichello
    3. Button
    4. Trulli
    5. Montoya
    6. Alonso

Thoughts??

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

As a Sato supporter, I'm really looking forward to seeing him take on Shu during the race. As long as his engine doesn't blow or he doen't go for a rediculously crazy move on a tight corner, he really has the potential to win it. His bold moves during races are making F1 more exciting and enjoyable to watch so I hope he gets rewarded with a win at some point.
    I think if the two Ferraris get a 1-2 at the grid, nobody will have a chance and it will be another win for Shu.

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I think you are giving Button a bit more credit than, not so much deserves, but will certainly reach this weekend. BAR are worth watching, but only for about one more season. They need to do something a bit more magical in the next two races for them to get a stronger fan-base.

Red cars all the way, pretty much unchallenged as well.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Wowser... bit of a mixed up grid... with the Renaults and DC doing particularly well.

Schu's second on the grid after overdriving the final sector, as did Montoya. I think Rubens is filled with fuel opting to go for race strat being the first on track. Kimi was looking very tardy though, must be the shock of having a half competitive car. :p

I'm thinking Renault have genuine pace, although Alonso has 1 lap less fuel than Schu, as have the McLarens. BAR will be running lighter also as per usual.

Tomorrow's looking like it could be a tight race, the weather could be changeable which always throws up a good race. :D

Grid.

1. Alonso
    2. Schu
    3. DC
    4. Button
    5. Trulli
    6. Montoya
    7. Sato
    8. Gene
    9. Raikkonen
    10 Barrichello

Revised race prediction.

1. Schu
    2. Alonso
    3. Button
    4. Trulli
    5. Montoya
    6. Barrichello

Post quali thoughts?

5. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I don't think Alonso will be able to stay in the top three. I hope Alonso holds Shu up for a little while to make the race interesting. The worst case scenario would be for Shu to whiz past him in the first lap and then for Alonso to end up holding the others back.
    Hope it'll be a good race tomorrow!

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I thought that was a stonking race... :D

Have to say kudos to Renault their pace was genuine in quali, I really was expecting them to be a lap lighter than the Ferrari of Schu as per' during this season. Obviously the Michelins still carry quite an advantage on 1 hot lap but towards half way it was looking to me like it was going to be a Renault win.

But what more can you say about Ferrari and Schu??? outstanding driving and mid-race change in strategy. 4 Stops and having to put in a series of hot laps to find the necessary 18-19 seconds he needed to take his extra stop and win the race! :D

Definitely right up there with Hungary 1998 when he needed 20 seconds in 20 laps and put in lap after lap at quali speed!! f**kin'' outstanding was that! :D

Only shame is that the French director didn't take the opportunity to follow this period more closely because Schu really turned it up for those series of laps, and when he's ON IT... the intensity is seriously mind blowing! ;)

And Rubens coming from 10th to 3rd hahaha... :D overtaking both Button and Trulli in the process, an amazing drive that was sadly missed by the French director (agains) for the most part. Including even his last corner move on Trulli :rolleyes:

Renault surprised me, I thought they'd gone with quali glory rather than race strategy, BAR were way off the pace, and yet again Sato suffers the bad luck with his engine blowing up yet again.

McLaren are definitely closer, although still missing a good half a second a lap from the Ferrari's, Kimi was compromised by poor qualifying and DC drove a solid, if unspectacular race still pushing half a second a lap slower than his team mate... DC needs to sharpen up if he's expecting a seat next year, but Kimi needs to sort himself out aswell... last season he made too many mistakes in Quali, and this year DC even seems to be beating him in the races. :eek:

As for Williams.... are they the new McLaren?? way off the pace... with both drivers having a total non-event... :eek: :rolleyes: sort it out boys... we all want to see Montoya up there.

Anyways.... onto Silverstone next week, but first off F1 cars are running down and around Londons West End on Tuesday evening, after closing Regent St during Peak Rush hour... heheheh fantastic! I'm hoping to be able to get a good viewpoint, but I'm really not holding my breath.

Thoughts??

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Regents Street, Tuesday

Here is the route for Tuesday,
    [​IMG]
    and the running order is

1. Toyota – Cristiano da Matta
    2. Jordan – Nigel Mansell
    3. Ferrari – Luca Badoer
    4. B.A.R. Honda – Jenson Button
    5. Minardi – Zsolt Baumgartner
    6. BMW Williams F1 – Juan Pablo Montoya
    7. Team McLaren Mercedes – David Coulthard
    8. Jaguar – Martin Brundle

the website http://www.regentstreetonline.com/f1/route.asp seem very slow.

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

9. oreo macrumors member

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

unless you're a Ferrari fan that is... heheheh

judging by the lack of replies in this thread, I'm thinking many have opted to watch the Sunday omnibus of EastEnders instead! :eek: :p :p

Surely people must have some 'thoughts' on the race?? *shuffles feet*

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

race was not bad but far from being breath taking compared to other races.... trulli was unlucky..losing his 3rd place in the last lap....

sato is really breaking records with his blown engines...
    mclaren is getting a little bit better again...

but now after the euro 2004 finished there is again the next big sports event here.......tour de france !!! switched in today for a few times... i guess my afternoon tv programm for the next 2 weeks is set.... eurosport with their full live coverage is now my favourite tv station ;-)...thankfully the next f1 race isn't that soon

12. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I just noticed a little tidbit from AutoWeek that Microsoft is "negotiating to become the primary sponsor of the Toyota F1 team" for a cool $40 mil per season. Interesting...

13. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Mansell - F1 too boring

Ex-world champion Nigel Mansell says Formula One is so boring that he cannot even bear to watch it on television.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3866933.stm

I'm with Nigel on this one, & the French TV coverage didn't help. I was impressed with Barrichello overtakeing on the last lap. We need more of this.. :)

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

couldn't agree more....
    the formula 1 never was as fast as now but they are still getting more boring every season....seems absolutly absurde....boy whoever decided to get rid of the slicks should have some serious treatment....when was the last time somebody saw some serious overtaking on a straight...i still have the image of 2 cars closly following each other and then one car suddenly breaking out and overtaking on my mind......are the formula 1 cars so aerodynamically that this isn't possible anymore....

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This coming from the guy who won 10 races in one season :rolleyes:

I'm starting to believe that Sato's numerous blown engines have less to do with luck...

16. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i still think f1 is exciting, its not as competitive, but its still very exciting because what i want to see next is how well ferarri can push themselves in the next race.

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Exactly.... ;)

It's easy to look through rose tinted spectacles and remember F1 as nothing but overtaking back in the good old days of Prost, Senna, Piquet, Mansell etc etc... But was it really that different then??

When a team is dominant there is hardly any overtaking for the race lead unless another team can get close to the action and challenge for race victories. For example 1988 (McLaren) 1989 (McLaren), 1992 (Williams), 1993 (Williams), 1995 (Benetton) these are some years when there was 1 team that was so dominate and was for the most part rivaless and as such overtaking for the race lead was almost as non existant as now. And this was back in the days of inferior aerodynamics and slick tyres.

The most interesting years are when we have some competitive opposition teams, like 1990 (McLaren Vs Ferrari) 1991 (well half the season atleast with McLaren and Williams) 1994 (Williams Vs Benetton), 1997 (Williams Vs Ferrari), 1999 (McLaren Vs Ferrari) 2000 (Ferrari Vs McLaren).

Or years when we see the best driver in an inferior car taking the fight to a inferior driver in the best car (half of 1991 with Senna Vs Mansell), 1997 (Schumacher Vs Villeneuve), 1998 (Schumacher Vs Hakkinen).

I do think todays racing isn't as exciting as it was say 14 years ago for the most part, but I also disagree with people that think it was nothing but overtaking back then, and that every race in that era was choc-full of overtaking moves for the lead... it wasn't like that at all and there was some seriously boring races which were made even worse when reliabilty was also poor.

In the '88, '92, '93 season I'd suggest that those seasons were not anymore exciting than it is today, especially '92 and '93... I'd give some slack to '88 because it was Senna Vs Prost, but even then the on track overtaking action wasn't especially great between those, once one was in the lead.

As for improving the action, I think the last thing F1's rule makers should do is commit to a series of rash rule changes that focus on trying to artificially improve competitiveness. Rules such as standard wings, standardised ECU's, weight ballest, or even off the shelf chassis etc etc are no-no's in my opinion.

F1 has always been about designing, building and developing your OWN car, and as such it'd be a shame to see it watered down and become nothing more than a F3000, CART/IRL clone.

I'd like to see an increase in mechanical grip and a reduction in aerodynamics this alone would contribute greatly to improving the possibility of more frequent overtaking.

I'd like to see the return of slicks as well but with only 1 tyre manufacturer so that races are won becuase of the car/driver as opposed to having a tyre that is substantially faster than a rivals tyre.

With regards to all the electronics, well todays cars aren't exactly filled with driver aids like they were 11-12 years ago. I'd ban any form of Launch Control *cough* Renault *cough*, and also ban traction control. I'd keep semi-automatic tranmissions, and the ability to maximise the cars set-up such as brake balance etc from the steering wheel... some technology needs to remain.

And lastly I'd take a look at circuits, they've been watered down now to such a level (another FIA knee-jerk reaction to Imola '94) that many of the features that aided overtaking have been removed and chicanes added in there place. FIA need to sort this out.

But would these changes have made any difference when one considers how formidable Ferrari and Schumacher currently are, within the current rules??

I don't think it would. ;)

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

We've had some superb seasons for overtaking in the Noughties, there are various websites that track overtaking year over year and race by race. Admittedly, most of the best overtaking occurred in wet races, maybe that idea to spray down the track before every race wasn't so cookey after all? ;)

And last year probably had more different race winners than most in recent decades.

Still, I think F1 desperately needs a 'duel'. Schumacher vs Villeneuve. Schumacher vs Hakinnen, Schumacher vs Hill, Senna vs Prost (vs Mansell) etc...

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If Villeneuve hadn't been a hardhead and stuck with BAR before, OR if he hadn't done whatever he did the piss off Dave Richards, we would be having Round 2 of Schumi vs. Jack :D
    Although it would be interesting to see him in a Williams again.

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Button would've kicked his arse.... again. :eek: :p :p

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

He might be better off in a Renault than a Williams! I wonder if (as a French Canadian) a French team would hold any special appeal for him.

22. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

23. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

How cool was it... :D

I was luckily enough to be up on a roof, although that said, being 5 (victorian) floors up made the cars look rather teeny. heheh, but we got a stonking view all the way up to Piccadilly Circus... :D

The sound they were making was f**kin' incredible, it's been awhile since I've heard one and to have the sound in such a confined space bouncing off everything was truly lush! ;)

And Mansell giving it the boot.... hahahahahahaha fanf**kintastic!! :D

We need a West End GP... it'd be the mutts nuts! ;) :D

24. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

it was mad down in the scrum, we heard more than we saw! but those cars sounded so sweet. :D