1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

The Future is Here. OS X pre-installed

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2001.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple today announced that it will begin pre-installing Mac® OS X alongside Mac OS 9 on all new Macs® shipping from its factories beginning today, two months ahead of schedule.

So... the future is here. OS X preinstalled on all new macs. Sure, most of us have used/played with OS X... but now OS X's marketshare will begin to grow... unfortunately, OS 9 is still the default os. (baby steps...)

[Edited by Macrumors on 05-21-2001 at 08:31 PM]

2. macrumors newbie

So here's my question:

I ordered an iBook on May 3rd.
    It has not been built or shipped yet.
    Will it have OS X on it, or did I just miss the boat?

3. Guest

No, you are going to get it, either in the box, or as a software budle, in any case, you'll get it free.

4. macrumors newbie

Alright! I was going to buy it later on when I could justify the purchase. Now I don't have to wait, and I can get all the OS X stuff that's still free!
    Waiting in line finally paid off.

5. macrumors newbie

Since all macs are going to ship with OS X now, and OS X requires 128MB RAM to run, will all macs now ship with at least 128MB RAM?

6. Administrator

blakespot

Yes...

That must be the case. Tho...128 still seems low to run OS X. I just upgraded to 512MB (and I've got UltraWide SCSI...and felt the need). 256MB is like $55 now tho.

blakespot