The future of BootCamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kingsly, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

I was wondering... What would happen if Apple released 10.5 or 6 with rosetta-like handling of .exe apps? Is that even within the realm of possibility? i.e, how dependent are Apps (from notepad to Half Life 2) on the Winblows OS to work? I would have to imagine that if Rosetta can translate processor calls as quickly as it does then OSX can include some "pretend" .dll's that are required by XP apps...
    I don't know what I'm talking about. Goodnight. :p
  2. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    True! I would have preferred apple to allow windows XP programs work under the Mac OS X using that sort of thing than have it run windows. But then again developers would cease Mac development so maybe its not a good idea after all.
  3. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
  4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Yes, it would. Running .exe's would allow for viruses too AFAIK.
  5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Not sure, but one nice part about X is that is actually waits until a user clicks an app before opening it and warns users during D/L. Oh yeah, it also asks for a password to install anything.
  6. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2006
    I think it would be nice to run PC games natively on a mac without having to exit OS X but they need to find a way to stop the viruses and spyware effecting the computer
  7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

I was under the impression that OSX will not allow files to be installed into the system folder without explicit permission. IS that true? If so, only complete click and password happy idiots will have viruses.