The Future of iChat AV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Beligerent, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

Im curious what you all think will happen with iChat. I just bought an iSight camera the other day and afterwards realized theres really noone to chat with. I cannot get it working with my friends that have AIM on windows due to ports and firewalls and all that and they have become uninterested in video chatting as a result. I signed up with at some ichat sites but who really WANTS to chat with total strangers. My rant (i guess u could call it that ) is that I think Apple is in a position to make iChat a killer app. Heres a couple idea's I had that would set it apart from EVERYTHING else in terms of cross platform videoconferencing.

1) Port it to windows... nuff said. iSight too

2) .mac stream hosting. People could simply go to your .mac website and boom there they would see your video feed live from your Mac. No software needed on the viewers end. Sightspeed has something like this.

3) Allow it to utilize the computers modem ( not voip ) and make regular phone calls. nice full duplex speaker phone.

Anyone have any more?

-Norm

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

unfortunately, not likely to happen.. it will be receiving a pretty significant upgrade in Tiger... check the OS X page on apple's website for a bit more information.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

There is really no reason to port it to Windows when you think about it. A more realistic thing to do is make it more compatibe with AIM. No one on the Windows platform would use it anyway, they have AIM.

4. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Not sure about the whole "port thing" but that is typical Windows headaches.

People with AIM 5.5 can video chat with you.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

As it look's can you only chat with people that have AIM and a mac with iChat :confused:
    How good is the iSight camera, is it worth the money :confused:

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have the same problem with my iSight (if I hadn't got one in the lucky bag, then I probably wouldn't have bought it).

Perhaps we should create a thread where those who'd like to chat can put their name down!

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Theoretically you can video chat with AIM users on windows, however reports have been sketchy. Some people can get it working others can't.

The iSight is a very good piece of equipment, whether it's worth it or not depends entirely on how useful it's going to be for you. No one to chat with - not so handy! ;) I use it to keep in touch with loved ones and it's worth its weight in gold - the quality of the iSight makes it something I actually want to use.

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Thanks

Can you use the iSight for other programs as well

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

It works with iMovie, you can take still shots, you can use it as a barcode scanner with Delicious Library etc.

So it can do bits and bobs but really it's a webcam first and foremost.