The future of iTools? (IMAP hosting, complaints)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldMac, Feb 5, 2002.

1. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I'd like to get your opinion on the future of iTools. I find iTools to be cool and all, but I find myself not using them all and I find myself frustrated with a few things...

1) I can't pay to get more email disk space!
    - OS X has delivered a truly functional and elegant Mail application. I love using IMAP and my Mac.com email is very reliable. Oh, how I would love to make this my regular mail account, but stuck at 5MB just isn't going to cut it.
    - I can get more iDisk space, but why not more email disk space

2) iDisk is *SLOW*
    - It's great that we're supporting WebDAV and all, but why is iDisk so slow? I would use iDisk all the time if it was as fast as an NT shared drive across the network.
    - I can buy more space for my iDisk, but it's too slow to use reguarly, so what's the point?
    - Is there any way to mount the iDisk (or any shared disk for that matter) at startup on OS X? Am I blind? Or is this a serious OS X oversight?

3) How about some more "next generation" apps that really use iTools as an extension of the Mac? Web interfaces are so limiting.

Now, given that there's no indication that I'll be getting more Mail space from Apple soon...

Does anyone know of a good, reliable IMAP host where I can start consolidating my email for the long-term?

Thanks.

2. balliet macrumors member

Assuming you have a reliable cable model/dsl/other 24/7 connection, you could just run your own imap server. I run my own imap server on a freebsd box so I can get my mail from home, work, and school. Fetchmail grabs the mail from a few personal accounts and my school acount and sends them all over to the imap server. You could do all this on os x if you take the time to figure it all out.

Not the easiest solution, but a solution.