The future of MR/Spam/Fun Threads

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Jun 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The 'what's on your mind' thread just got shut down and it convinced me to make this thread, which I had been planning on doing for a while now.

The most fun I have ever had on MR was when the geek thread was at its strongest stages. I got to know people better with that 'spam' than I could have gotten to know them in a serious discussion.

Spam is frowned upon on MR, and I don't see it as a bad thing at all.

I don't understand why everyone is so against it.... is it because people are getting a higher post count when they don't deserve a higher post count?

Is it because the spam gets in the way of the 'meaningful' posts?

I got more from the geek thread than I have from any other thread on MR.

Now, threads that have a chance of being as much fun as the geek thread are getting crushed before they could even get started!

I guess I just don't see what the big deal is about threads that are destined to have a lot of spam in them.... :eek:

Could someone please explain?

scem0

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Spam is by definition meaningless undesireable ****.

Just how much meaningless **** are we expected to take?

3. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I think if you actually looked into it deeper you would see that it isn't meaningless.

Where is vniow (on vacation, right?) - I think she could explain why spamming isn't totally meaningless better than I could.

I can't really explain why I don't think its meaningless. I can only say that when I spam, I generally am enjoying the post more than my other 'meaningful' posts.

I don't see how the geek thread could have annoyed other people.

What about it annoyed y'all?

scem0

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, Community Discussion is pretty unmoderated, but if a thread is started that seems to be only for spam, or turns into nothing more than an excuse for spam, it's at our discretion to close it down.

iChat, IRC, etc are a better place for chit chat that doesn't eat up arn's bandwidth and server space.

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

so is it purely a bandwidth issue?

I was under the impression that people were mad at people increasing their post count with 'meaningless posts'...

I can understand not wanting spam if it's a bandwidth issue, but I have trouble seeing why post count would be so important to so many people....

scem0

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

isnt there a way to turn off post count in certain forums? I know you can do that on some BBs. If the admins could do that in the community discussiion forum then that would satisify the no upped post count complaint. Other then that the members could have great fun in lots of geek-esque threads.

just my 2.5 cents.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Post count also plays into it, since status/avatar come with higher post counts. From a practical angle it's pointless server load. From a social angle it's people with nothing of substance to add in any of the news/rumors thread who want to get some posts in.

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Those posts aren't allowed for a few reasons.

1) Bandwidth/server load are just minor considerations... I doubt one thread reloaded by a few people would cause excess load on this server... but when it comes down to it -- any excess load caused by a pointless thread is unnecessary.

2) Quality of threads and pointless threads is the main reason not to allow such things. I'm sure you enjoy that thread scem... but of the 18980 registered users - I bet there were 3 who actually liked that thread. And the point isn't why is that thread so bad... but point is - if we allow it - what's to keep each of the 18980 posting their own personal threads posting whatever they feel. Suddenly, the community is filled with hundreds of pointless threads entertaining themselves. Let's at least keep the semblance of trying to have topics that other people might be interested in.

Your question is the equivlanent of asking in the early days of email. "Why can't I just send out an advertisment email to a few people? It's not like it's that much difficulty for people to ignore it"

It's not that one email perse - it's the floodgates it opens.

3) Post counts are another issue... maybe I will stop posts from counting in community.

arn

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I think the point of shutting down threads like that is because those threads (geek, etc.) only facilitate the use of spam everywhere else, if people see it's ok to do it in one thread then it will probably merge into all threads, and I for one don't care to read through threads that are filled with pointless crap even though the original topic might have been interesting.

edit: looks like I was right on the money, I was typing while arn was posting the above.

10. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

okay, very good points.

So how about this.....

start a 'Chit-Chat' forum which doesn't boost post count and can be just a fun place to post random, fun topics.

I've seen 'chit-chat' sections on forums, and they always have topics that I'm interested in :p. Certain threads could be moved to the chit chat thread - like the poop thread, the geek thread, etc.

Sounds like a good idea to me. :)

scem0

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well -- it still comes down to "do I even want to devote even a fraction of a percent of server resources to this?"

My answer is still no. :)

the community section should handle what you want... just not insane post-streaks and truely pointless threads.

arn

12. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Okay, I can respect that...

I still think a ChitChat forum would be worth the bandwidth, but i'm not running the site :).

Community discussion can satisfy my posting urges I guess.

scem0

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i think thats actually a good to great idea...people can abuse this section because so easy to give your two cents so many times over...think of how many times you've answered one of the orgiins or your username threads or anything like that...

14. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I too think it is a good idea. I think post count should be removed as a whole. Time since joining should be what determines when you can get a tar, or something like that.

scem0

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would not like to see the posts in Community Discussion no longer count.

scem0's suggestion of a chitchat forum sounds like something that should be considered. I will admit that I have difficulty determining the difference between a meaningful post and spam. When posting I do feel that I'm contributing something worthwhile!

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: post count no longer counting in Community

While this may be a good way to ward off the problem of overindulgence with postings, I see an issue arising from it. What if the disclusion of post counts in Community brings an influx of threads popping up in other areas, for the sake of those who want to be a pain? It may not become an issue, but it's got potential to become a nuisance...esp. for the mods & arn...who will be keeping things in order.

just my .02¢...

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: re: post count no longer counting in Community

SPAM threads popping up everywhere because it's seen as acceptable...

Then there those darn low bandwidth moderators who would have trouble keeping up with all the pointless crap when the site goes insane from spill over.

Yay, pointless chitchat :rolleyes:

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think the idea is that by 500 posts you have been for a while and probably know somehing and contributewell to the community as a whole... I like it this way but there were some people that got liek 500 posts jsut from the geek thread ... that defies the purpose of experience represented by posts.

19. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I'm not sure if the geek thread even counted toward post count, since it was put in wastland, and wasteland posts don't count toward post count.

anyway, i think it would be a good idea to have a chit-chat forum that doesn't count toward post count. :)

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

While I do feel that creating another forum for mindless discussions is ridiculous, I think it could server better than cutting off the community section...provided each & every person who posts there is fully aware it means nothing. ;)

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So what exactly is 'chit-chat'? You already have enough members rambling off inanely on every forum as it is.

I closed down that what's on your mind thread, like many others of that sort since it just is a matter of people being bored and not having anything to say. It gets out of hand and then it gets reported, then the mods have to deal with it. Why put everyone through it all - when its not going anywhere in the first place.

D ;)

22. vniow macrumors G4

Sup?

Spam is spam and arn has made it very clear that its not allowed (although I can think of some threads that are still going on which are basically chats between three or four people...)
    If you see obvious spam, it should be reported, those are the rules and if you don't like them, then tough.

BTW, who was it that contacted you on AIM (I saw it in your iChat thread) and asking for me? Just seems wierd, meh..

Haven't been online for a lot in the past couple weeks or so and definately not in AIM so hmm....

23. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

vniow where did your 'tar go? If you want a seperate place for "chit-chat" let arn use your server to do it. (Is this possible?)

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

scem0, maybe you would hold some sway on this if you actually, you know, contributed your part to the forums--by which i mean cash, greenbacks, moolah, denarii... the stuff that keeps us up here. there are people with like 5 posts that have already paid for their part here--and they aren't clamouring for a spam forum.

25. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i am going to contribute pretty soon I think via Amazon. its twenty bux, and its through a site I actually trust and have used before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.