The Future of Music Retail

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 2, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    The record companies are fighting for survival. Even with their legal efforts they will never stop the tsunami of file-sharing music. They brought it upon themselves and now consumers are saying it's payback time.
    I'll skip the history since most of us are aware of it.
    So what is the future of music? Online stores like Apple's? Or should they move to enhanced CD's or DVD's to encourage the purchase of a physical product? This would probably mean working signed bands all that much harder. To all those musicians out there: welcome to the machine.
  2. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    it's the burning question.

Retail and the Record industy will be around for a long time if they decide to embrass the technology. They've been sitting back for YEARS and collecting their huge profits for this big machine. Now, they have to rebuild and develop a new system. The main problem is that the consumer's mentalities are totally different than they were. I truly believe the consumer know's what's fair and are willing to pay. How the hell is it possible to keep charging these bloated prices. Geesh, DVD's are about the same price as a Audio CD. Greed is not good. Greed is like a virus and the industry has the Flu without a Flu shot to be had.

One more thing....back in the day when they acually sold vinyl, people collected them for the Artwork as well as the music. It was a great marriage. You just don't see that anymore.