The future of the 15in G3 iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macmaniac, May 1, 2002.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

With the new eMac and iMac, what is going to happen to the G3 iMac? It seems that its days are numbered, But I could be wrong because it still is good for home users, because you can't buy an eMac unless you are a student. What do you think the future holds for Mr. Indigo?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Its days are indeed numbered. My guess is this is the true death of the G3 iMac line. Next to go is the G3 iBook.

3. sjs macrumors 6502

The G3 has two fatal problems. No one wants a 15" crt with .28 dot pitch, etc.
    The 600 mgz G3 is too slow and unsuited for the digital hub world.

The G3 wil live as long as sales are good. Remember, it sold 152,000 in the first qtr.

***They will make the eMac available to the general public when they drop the old iMac.

Wave a fond farewell to the original iMac at MWSF!?

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Are there any machines shipping (not from Apple but from other companys) that use the 1ghz version of the G3?

Ensign

5. iGav macrumors G3

They should just keep it nice and cheap, with the minor speed changes over a period of time.....

NOT everyone can afford a new eMac or iBook... just because everyone around here wants or has the latest hardware, there are people out there that simply cannot afford to blow $1000 on a new machine, keep the original iMac out there for those that would like a mac without the nasty premium......

The G3 is a doomed chip, even at Ghz, this is no good for MPG encoding...... shift the iBook onto the G4, and let the old iMac live out it's life as an affordable access point to people that either can't afford the current new hardware, or just want a cheap, reasonably swift machine to word process and browse the net.......

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

True, but c'mon, all we're talking about is an extra $200. So if they're really that hard up, they take out a loan. So the loan lasts another four/five months. It's worth it for a G4 processor and a 17" screen, don't you think? (Speaking on the eMac compared to CRT iMac).

7. networkman macrumors regular

we have the powermac and tibook to compete with the high end athlons and pentium 4s

the midrange is covered by the ibook and emac

if we keep the old imac and reduce it to $599-$649, then we could have a machine that will compete with the entry level durons and celeron desktops

so from $599-$3,000 dollars, we have all three markets from entry level to mid level to high end all covered

many of us on these forums are advanced beginners and intermediate users so we can't possibly see what a low end 15" inch imac could do for us

...but for the rest of the billions of people in the world who will turn to computers in the next decade or so, apple could fit their pocketbook and/or modest needs in computing

and what better way to build brand loyalty?

so steve jobs, keep the 15" crt G3 powered imac...it saved your company in the first place nearly three and a half years ago

-hatman essay

8. Vilacr macrumors regular

I completely agree networkman

Keep the original imac for alot of people can only afford the $500 to $700 machine. It will make a good entry level machine and it will kill the macs are to expensive thing.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i agree with jef.

the g4 is not necessary for all students/schools who just want some word processing/internet stuff... not even for the pretty cheap emac.

so keep that option there. upgrade it as often as is possible to do while still keeping it that cheap (<8-900).

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I doubt the problem is the usage (internet, word processing) but rather the OS. If apple has plans of pushing their OS into G4 or above only territory (performance wise), then it will have to stop the G3 lines. In fact, it was the G3 lines that got Apple in trouble in the first place when it released OSX.

If all of its newer models use G4's or better, and it has a new operating system, it can optimize that OS for the computers it sells, and it won't have to worry about class actions from people who buy new G3's, because there won't be any.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting apple pull an M$ trick and make the os so it won't work unless you have a G4 or better, but rather, merely optimize the OS for the chips it sells in its current lineup.

11. iGav macrumors G3

Well for me yes, I think it is worth the extra, but I never said it wasn't.....$200 could be alot of money to someone, what happens if they couldn't get a loan, or didn't want to get into debt?? Not everyone wants, let alone cares about a G4 and 17' screen, my mum for instance would love an original iMac, to email, surf, and write books..... she doesn't give a hoot that it ain't the fastest, or the best, it would suite her needs down to the ground..... compact, still quite zippy and easy to use......

A 600Mhz can run OSX...... as many here will testify, sure it's not as smooth as a G4........I don't think this would be a problem for the limited lifespan the original iMac has left....... And to say that the 600 G3 is too slow, well for some tasks it is, but it'll still do whats asked of it, just abit slower that's all...... unless you use all of Photoshops most tackeist filters like lens flare all at once.... :rolleyes:

I still have friends who use G3's to do hi-end video and design work, sure they aren't the fastest things in the world, but they can do the job........

I just don't see what the problem is with keeping the original iMac that little bit longer and giving people alittle more choice........ Jesus not everyone is a hi spec user...... :rolleyes: :mad:

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Them let 'em buy a PC. :D Yes, that's heartless... ;)

If they REALLY need a cheap computer, then Apple can just freeze the current G3 iMac and let people buy old technology. But I certainly don't see them continuing to upgrade that model.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i definitely agree, in fact, i was thinking of that as i was typing. basically, os x needs a pretty speedy g3 and some good ram or a g4 (also needs good ram for g4 though). i guess the key is that apple was saying that a g4 is basically needed to run x. with that in mind, they most likely will do away with g3 asap.

the more i think about it the more i think the used method is a good way for people to get cheaper computers without apple having to keep making them. i guess right now i'm torn between the two (dumping g3 imac and continuing to keep it at a low price)...

i'm sure apple has done and/or will do lots of research to figure out what would be best economically and go from there. as always, we'll see.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, the more i thought about it the more i think that's the best option...

i'm still not totally sure though. i still somewhat think that people should be able to buy new computers for just what they want (very basic use) for cheap... but it's not economically smart for apple i'm sure... hmm