Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think will happen to the iPod touch product line

• The current (fifth) generation is the last generation; it will be phased out in the near future

Votes: 106 35.2%
  • It's going nowhere! They'll make a version with the Apple A8 Processor to match current hardware

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • It's going nowhere! They'll make a version with the Apple A7 processor to keep it one behind.

Votes: 96 31.9%
  • They'll make an A7 version, but after that, it's getting phased out.

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • They'll make an A8 version, but after that, it's getting phased out.

Votes: 26 8.6%

• Total voters

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Sad to know but this has been speculated already since Ipod touch has no update for 3 years. Classic is discontinued, nano is not selling, shuffle is not even in store for pick up.

Personally, i prefer running with a shuffle or nano than risk dropping my iphone 6 on the ground. Might have to snatch one before it is a goner.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I would say with recent rumours the Apple TV is safe, but the iPod may be at an end, Apple Music is a streaming service and whilst the iPod T has WiFi it can't stream over cellular like phones can.

No one knows for sure, but so far the evidence does point strongly to it's demise, if they don't update the iPod's this year then I think they are at the end of an era.

The evidence points strongly to a Touch 6 in September. I do agree with you though that if they don't update it then, the Touch will be no more :(.

http://ipod.macrumors.com

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
it make sense for them to update the iPod Touch, solely for businesses.

Businesses aren't going to buy $700 dollar iPhones when theres iPod Touches. i mean the mark up for the unit price is over $500 dollars.

And when you buy it for business theres accessories, $500 barcode/card scanner, ($400-$800) App Licensing fee, etc etc.

They drop this model, they're going to force development companies and the developers customers to look for other options besides apple.

Its not going to be a good move for developers either, a much harder sell when everything already costs a lot to the developer's customers.

Apple's intention is to have iOS as the main mobile OS for businesses as Windows is for computer OS.

dropping this line would hinder them. For scanning either at retail, warehouses, trade shows etc etc

much easier with an iPod/iPhone size then iPad. This comes from experience, and whether the company is a$200 mil company or $10 mil.

nobody wants to spend more then they have to.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
it make sense for them to update the iPod Touch, solely for businesses.

Businesses aren't going to buy $700 dollar iPhones when theres iPod Touches. i mean the mark up for the unit price is over $500 dollars.

And when you buy it for business theres accessories, $500 barcode/card scanner, ($400-$800) App Licensing fee, etc etc.

They drop this model, they're going to force development companies and the developers customers to look for other options besides apple.

Its not going to be a good move for developers either, a much harder sell when everything already costs a lot to the developer's customers.

Apple's intention is to have iOS as the main mobile OS for businesses as Windows is for computer OS.

dropping this line would hinder them. For scanning either at retail, warehouses, trade shows etc etc

much easier with an iPod/iPhone size then iPad. This comes from experience, and whether the company is a$200 mil company or $10 mil.

nobody wants to spend more then they have to.

I take it the users in your example would NOT want to bother with used Iph nor IpT? As far as new Iph or IpT that are older and more affordable, I don't believe there currently are any in the $300 or less OFF contract price.

AFAIK, the consumer market is rife for Iphones. However, I believe there are much few takers for Iph and IpT as devices for business use. If this is true, it seems to be a double-edge sword... they didn't have that many customers to lose anyways, but they still shouldn't be doing this to them.

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
I truly hope we get another model released, even if it's the last one.

Hope springs eternal...I have a gut feeling that the shuffle will stay, and the Touch and nano will be rolled into one updated Touch as a premier music player. Especially since the classic was killed, yet all the emphasis on music lately.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Hope springs eternal...I have a gut feeling that the shuffle will stay, and the Touch and nano will be rolled into one updated Touch as a premier music player. Especially since the classic was killed, yet all the emphasis on music lately.
I agree. Apple could potentially only have the touch and shuffle in its iPod lineup.

A source states the touch will keep the same design, but include an improved processor and camera. I think Apple will keep the same price points as now, and introduce a 128gb model. Also it would be nice for Apple to, at some point, have a touch model with a base price of $149 in order to fill in for the iPod nano price point.

The report makes sense. The current design of the touch is exemplary, and great for a music player. An improved version would fit in perfectly with Apple's new music service.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I agree. Apple could potentially only have the touch and shuffle in its iPod lineup.

A source states the touch will keep the same design, but include an improved processor and camera. I think Apple will keep the same price points as now, and introduce a 128gb model. Also it would be nice for Apple to, at some point, have a touch model with a base price of $149 in order to fill in for the iPod nano price point.

The report makes sense. The current design of the touch is exemplary, and great for a music player. An improved version would fit in perfectly with Apple's new music service.

Apple stopped doing cheap-ish devices methinks. From here on out their electronics will go for minimum $350+

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
In what way is the current iPod Touch, "great for a music player"? Without the presence of physical buttons to play/pause, track advance/rewind, I find it to be no different than using a smartphone.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
In what way is the current iPod Touch, "great for a music player"? Without the presence of physical buttons to play/pause, track advance/rewind, I find it to be no different than using a smartphone.
Well, probably great for Apple. The IpT can get wifi, and runs the iPhone OS, so it's able to subscribe and use the Apple Music.

The main reason I keep my IpT5 is as a glorified handheld gaming device. I spent $150 on games and some non-gaming apps that I got enough to last me even though I'm down to spending no more than $10 per year. That's what keeps me to iOS. I'm not sure why if you wanted an music player, not consider the plethora of other solutions out there if you have nothing in particular you need from iOS.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I take it the users in your example would NOT want to bother with used Iph nor IpT? As far as new Iph or IpT that are older and more affordable, I don't believe there currently are any in the $300 or less OFF contract price.

AFAIK, the consumer market is rife for Iphones. However, I believe there are much few takers for Iph and IpT as devices for business use. If this is true, it seems to be a double-edge sword... they didn't have that many customers to lose anyways, but they still shouldn't be doing this to them.

every retail store, warehouse, company at any industry selling their products at a tradeshow, keeping track of product samples when it goes from customer to customer or factory or office. Scanning and packing, scanning and receiving.

and this is what i see from my work. I'm sure theres many others. So no you are not correct there is a huge place for iPhone/iPod along side iPads (any mobile device really)

iPods are $200. used iPhone 4S are still $250 from resellers. lowest for an original iPhone 5 was around $350 from last time i checked.

buying used iPhones doesnt contribute to apple sales, which is why its in apples better interest to keep this line alive. Whereas when they buy new iPods they make money.

Reactions: 1458279

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I think it could go many different ways, possibly:

1. The iPod Touch becomes more integrated with the Apple TV as a gaming system + remote device etc.

2. The iPod Touch becomes the iPad Nano. The its really more of an iPad than an iPod anyway.

3. They just update it with an A8 processor and leave it relatively unchanged.

Don't know if either are plausible, however I highly doubt it is going to disappear. I would say that Apple is unsure what to do with the iPad Mini and iPod Touch given the 6+, and decided to ensure that there was as little competition for the 6+ as possible, thus the lack of Touch updates and the subpar iPad Mini 3 update.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Indeed. The only real reason I still use one is to avoid battery drain on my phones. I'm paranoid about running out of juice, coming from 25+ years of handheld mobile use (as opposed to real problems in recent years).

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Indeed. The only real reason I still use one is to avoid battery drain on my phones. I'm paranoid about running out of juice, coming from 25+ years of handheld mobile use (as opposed to real problems in recent years).

Same! My iPod is used for battery life!
iPhone 4S on a single charge; cannot last a day
iPod touch 4th gen lasts 2-3 days
iPod Classic lasts over a week!

Last edited:

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I think it could go many different ways, possibly:

1. The iPod Touch becomes more integrated with the Apple TV as a gaming system + remote device etc.

2. The iPod Touch becomes the iPad Nano. The its really more of an iPad than an iPod anyway.

3. They just update it with an A8 processor and leave it relatively unchanged.

Don't know if either are plausible, however I highly doubt it is going to disappear. I would say that Apple is unsure what to do with the iPad Mini and iPod Touch given the 6+, and decided to ensure that there was as little competition for the 6+ as possible, thus the lack of Touch updates and the subpar iPad Mini 3 update.

Kudos, you were right.

I agree with 1. and only half agree with 3. Its absolutely necessary for them to at the LEAST upgrade the ram to 1GB.

To level out the sales i don't think they're ever going to make significant improvements on the Mini and Regular iPad at the same time.

i don't think the "New" Touch will dip into 6+ sales at all, but iPad Mini quite possibly.

If the base price for an iPod Touch reaches $150, people are going to have a field day. atleast with businesses.

They'll be able to purchase more barcode/creditcard Stations (using the iPod) if they drop it to $150.

But its pretty funny how a cheap plastic barcode/creditcard scanner is $500 and it doesn't go down.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Kudos, you were right.

I agree with 1. and only half agree with 3. Its absolutely necessary for them to at the LEAST upgrade the ram to 1GB.

To level out the sales i don't think they're ever going to make significant improvements on the Mini and Regular iPad at the same time.

i don't think the "New" Touch will dip into 6+ sales at all, but iPad Mini quite possibly.

If the base price for an iPod Touch reaches $150, people are going to have a field day. atleast with businesses.

They'll be able to purchase more barcode/creditcard Stations (using the iPod) if they drop it to $150.

But its pretty funny how a cheap plastic barcode/creditcard scanner is $500 and it doesn't go down.

Wow I never thought of that. If all else fails, they should name it the iScanner.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I thought I would weigh in on this as I have been a user of iPods in general for quite some time. I was extremely familiar with the iPod Touch 4G that one of my best friends at the time had owned and let me use/borrow frequently, and I have owned an iPod Touch 5G for quite some time now. I have a 32 GB model and it's Grey if anyone is curious. This is going to be about personal experiences so skip over my post if you are not interested.

I will start by saying that I really enjoy using this device. I have my opinions on different products regarding their form factor, but when it comes to devices that are meant to be in your pocket, portability is key. The iPod Touch 5G is incredibly well made and focuses on this. It does not bulge in your pockets or cause any type of inconvenience. It's very lightweight and surprisingly durable. I do not "baby" it, and in fact I am actually quite reckless with it, and I do not use a case on it.

It still feels very modern. It has a very nice quality screen and still supports the latest iOS. Its functionality is great. In terms of media, I personally use mine solely for music. I don't have anything other than that taking up space, apart from app installs. I've had mine for years and the battery life is still excellent. It's very versatile as a Wi-Fi only device.

There was a time in my life where I was paying monthly for a phone, and realized that primarily most of the people that I kept in touch with or needed to communicate with had iPhones. I then retired my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and it has been sitting idle in a drawer ever since. I went out and purchased my current iPod Touch that same day. I realize that this isn't a practical substitute for most, but for me, at the time, it was perfect. I did not need cellular, as I had Wi-Fi where I was mainly going to be at (Work and Home, exciting life I know). Since my friends, family, and girlfriend at the time all seemed to have an iPhone, this was an incredible niche for me. I was able to use Messages (or iMessage) to text with everyone, which is all I cared about, and established things like Skype with certain people that I cared about actually speaking with. It was great!

The iPod paid for itself in no time with the money I saved monthly by switching from my phone. The ability to speak with and text the important people in my life, have the media I choose, a fairly nice quality video camera that takes nice photographs all in one compact device with a quality display that I paid $199 (iirc) for and didn't have to pay monthly for? Sounds good to me, and Wi-Fi never let me down.

I realize I could have kept using my Phone on Wi-Fi with some sort of texting app but I didn't want to complicate that. Messages just worked, and it was a wonderful experience. It was a great investment and served me especially well at that time in my life. Now, I still have it and use it every day. I still use it as my primary means of communication. I treat it like a phone, it just has no cellular of course. I listen to maybe 2 hours of music every day through the iPod alone, and have it bluetooth paired whenever I am home.

With all of this rambling aside, I hope they do not discontinue the iPod. It is great for people like me who still want a modern, handheld device but do not really need anything that a Wi-Fi connection doesn't offer. I realize you can use an iPhone the exact same way, but the price you would pay for that outright in comparison to an iPod makes the iPod still quite relevant in my opinion. I am completely aware that I am a part of a minority of users in this regard, but I truly hope we see a 6G. It would make me exceptionally happy and very excited. iPod Touch is special in my eyes.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Kudos, you were right.

I think you're right, Apple should develop a new touch, ideally with A8 or A9 and at least 1 GB of ram. People on Mac rumours are not accurate indicators of the entire population, so while 95 percent of people on here would never by a touch, they are not representative of the entire population.

I'm fairly sure that the iPod Touch outsets all nintendo's hand held devices, so thats got to say something.

For me, the iPod Touch was the bridge to an iPhone. I couldn't afford an iPhone at 15 back in 2010, so I bought an iPod Touch, which I loved to death, and eventually went to an iPhone.

I know pletny of people with the same story, and I know plenty who would have just bought an android if they hadn't been drawn into the system by an iPod Touch. Its really a win win for Apple, as yes second hand iPhones are a thing, but Apple profits more from an iPod Touch. Also even if the person does go Android, I often notice that they keep their iPod alongside it (thus keeping them in the ecosystem).

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I think you're right, Apple should develop a new touch, ideally with A8 or A9 and at least 1 GB of ram. People on Mac rumours are not accurate indicators of the entire population, so while 95 percent of people on here would never by a touch, they are not representative of the entire population.

I'm fairly sure that the iPod Touch outsets all nintendo's hand held devices, so thats got to say something.

For me, the iPod Touch was the bridge to an iPhone. I couldn't afford an iPhone at 15 back in 2010, so I bought an iPod Touch, which I loved to death, and eventually went to an iPhone.

I know pletny of people with the same story, and I know plenty who would have just bought an android if they hadn't been drawn into the system by an iPod Touch. Its really a win win for Apple, as yes second hand iPhones are a thing, but Apple profits more from an iPod Touch. Also even if the person does go Android, I often notice that they keep their iPod alongside it (thus keeping them in the ecosystem).

Wow, I thought you were much older with the "oldmacs" screen name. Had no idea you were younger then me.

Good to see younger dudes having educated discussions.

Gaming handhelds are a dying breed. They need to start porting their games to Mobile OS.

i still want a nintendo DS playing the games i grew up with when i was in elementary school (Zelda OOT & MM, Starfox 64, etc etc)

GTA on iOS is a prime example. Nintendo's ancient ways of board decisions is driving the company down.

They need to ditch their hardware if their upcoming next gen fails. IMO, the Wii's innovations didnt make up for the huge lack of graphics compared to PCs, 360, and PS3. (Reminds me of Sega, but Nintendo has a MUCH stronger brand name and brand games)

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

Wow same story with me. Got a Touch 3rd gen back in late 2009 for my 13th birthday and, that is how I got interested in this stuff!. Late 2012 I get my first iPhone (the 4S while retaining my 4th gen) and am switching it for a Android early next week (LG-G4). Again, lmy iPod will be my daily driver to use iMessage (only 1)

If the iPod Touch dies, I'll go full android and, for,Apple, that would be a bad financial move!!

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Didn't you absolutely claim that IOS 9 would never run on the Touch 5 :D ?

No i didn't. Quote me. I challenge you. ;)

I do not care if an old device like the IPT5 gets updates still, that doesn't make me happy, at the end of the day it's just an old device and there's nothing you can do about to change that. What i DO care is about a possible new generation.

Most of my posts here have been generally about a possible ipod touch 6, so far there is 0 proof about that.

Are you happy for getting ios 9 on your ipod touch 5? good for ya!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.