the G5 + LCD is way too expensive...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Soc7777777, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Soc7777777 macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2004
    ok so say you want an apple desktop with a decent amount of power, and do not want to pay alot for your system... well your in luck... for a mere 2947 you can get the cheepest G5 powermac and the cheepest LCD display...

note the sarcasm... haha this just seams to much for me... i think that these products are probibly worth the money they are charging for them... but what if they would keep a 1.6 ghz single g5 for like 1599 (1399 w/ edu discount) and tell people they can buy one of those and a 20" LCD for 2 grand...

but that would cut the profit margin too much for such a small company (in comparison), so i think they should have 2 types of displays... consumer and pro.. because i mean really... who really needs a HD display... some do, and some dont... i just think that apple is overpriced when it comes to buying a system and a moniter together... individually they are good deals... but when compared to other companies they are expensive when bought together because other companies usually throw displays at you when you buy an expensive system... i mean apple SHOULD be able to offer a computer with a moniter that is priced under 2 grand... (imacs are a different story)

most of you right now are thinking "BUY AN iMac", but here is the problem... if you buy an imac then you trap yourself into paying for another screen with each computer... (they arent able to be taken off their base and used as a normal display are they?) i would ideally think that the imac screen could be taken off and used as a powermac screen... then people for their first mac they could get a 20" imac for a good price.. then if they want to buy a pro machine, they already have a display so it doesnt make the price seem so steep...

I think apples promotino with the 23" displays and the pwermacs was a good start, but no where near what they should be doing...

here is one of my crazy ideas that would solve everything... have apple offer a 'first time switching' discount... then anyone who is buying their first mac should get half priced display, or do something like as an additoin to the edu discount, they also get free applecare....

i think type of promotion would promote switching from pc to mac... and everyone knows, once you go mac, you never go back...

this is just an idea as a solutoin for a problem* (i think its a problem)...

i mean come one, how do you convince someone who doesnt know much about computers to spend 3 grand on a mac and display when they can get a P4 comp AND display for aournd 1 grand... thats a tuff sell to someone who cannot fully appreciate the mac advantages... ( OS X )

btw, i really think apple should ad a scroll wheel to their mouses... you have to admit that they come in handy... (not necessarily right click button... jus scroll wheel)
  2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    It's a good idea in theory, but how do you prove that you've never owned a mac? If you bought it from a 3rd party, apple would have no idea. I have a feeling there would be a lot of "switchers" all of a sudden.

IMO, the G5s are a reasonable price for the kick-a$$ computer you get. It's the apple displays that are outdated and overpriced. Hopefully, the updated display line will bring nice new specs and nice new prices. :)
  3. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Yes, Apple should have a cheaper headless single G5 prosumer Mac. Yes, Apple needs to update the prices and/or specs for their displays.

I don't think Apple would be allowed or able to give rebates to first time switchers.

I also sometimes miss the scroll-wheel. I don't need the right mouse button except for Age of Mythology (blame Microsoft).
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I see screens as very important, and screens can improve a lot every couple of years. I have no problem with the concept of buying a new screen with every computer
  5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Normally, we upgrade our computer at home every 4-5 years (PCs). I got my PowerBook for uni which is my main computer here so is separate.

I think screen technology improves so much between upgrades that a new display is a must. E.g. old displays could only handle 1024x768 max. Just think what the ones in 5 years will be cabable of. When your graphics card then could handle a display of several thousand pixels in each direction and massive LCDs or OLEDs are much cheaper, wouldn't you want to get one of them?

I agree though, they are still quite expensive, although I believe in the UK the new dual 1.8 is about the same price as the old 1.6, so not bad. They should offer the 1.6 for say under £1000 ($1550).

Oh, and until the iMac is G5, that's no good either. WWDC?
  6. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    Have to agree, compare an LCD from 2-3 years ago to the latest models now. The response times and contrast ratios are way better.
  7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Hmm, maybe one way for Apple to lower their prices would be to get rid of the educational stores. Why should Apple consumer's purchases subsidize students?
  8. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2002
    I don't think consumers subsidize students. Apple still makes a little money off a student purchase doesn't it? If it wasn't for student discounts they would sell far less computers, and I know several students who have bought macs at uni and will probably be mac users for the rest of their lives.
  9. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    dude just use a non- apple display and pop an apple sticker on it if it makes you happy (I put an apple sticker on my mates dull and iot really pisses him off heheheh)

mmm.... a crack pipe
  10. atomwork macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2001
    Miami Beach
    how is it with the PCs? every time I go to the dell page and configure myself a Dell with dual 3GHZ Xeron processors and 4GB or RAM, I come to the same amount. Even if I add their displays. Most of the time its 5-7k and more.

What i mean is that Apple isn't that much if you compare the top line products. Also, not everyone can afford a 23 HD display. I mean. Its their top of the line product ;)

11. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    Is this a troll or a serious question?

You can get a mac and a display for a grand. It's called an eMac. And other than a slightly slower CPU it will be comparable to your PC with monitor you bought for a grand.

It's also possible to spend 3 grand on a P4 comp and display from Dell, etc...

I mean, seriously, what kind of stupid question is this?
  12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    $2947 For a Mac and the cheapest LCD.

I get $2188 for the cheapest "monitor" and PowerMac (and that's without subtracting any equipment from the PowerMac) from the Apple Store.

Nobody forces trolls to buy from the Troll Emporium, there are other monitor alternatives/companies beside an Apple LCD.

Look around at the Apple Store, there are other alternatives (such as a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus CRT) sitting there in the Third Party section.
  13. osprey76 macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    They easily make money on these. Just not as much. Last time I saw sales numbers there was talk of 15-25% margin (not sure where each model lines up). The Education discount never exceeds 10% and is usually less. There is still plenty of money made there without any sort of subsidy.
  14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    I dont' think there are people who realistically think "Dell should offer it's premier desktop and a 20 inch LCD for $2k."

Dell cornered the low end market - and it does an excellent job...for that market. You are talking about Powermacs - the absolute top-end, professional computer. Apple does an excellent job too...for that market.
  15. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    The term "never" is wrong - it depends on the model. A base 12" Combo PB is $1599 normally, $1399 with the student discount. That's over 12% discount. It may be an exception, but it does disprove the "never" rule
  16. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    Apple offers lower prices to students as an investment in the future. By targetting students and student developers they can win future users and especially users who will continue to be loyal to Apple. Thats what I have done. I'm actually on my third Mac in 6 years. I had a B&W G3 I bought for college which after two years I sold to my brother when he started college. I upgraded to a G4 and 15" studio display which I sold 2 years later because I could get a great deal on a 17" G4 iMac. This summer I'll be buying a laptop to compliment my desktop so in six years I'll have bought 4 macs on my own. Part of the reason I buy is because Apple has shown a commitment to students and educators (I'm going to be a teacher) and that influences my purchases along with the discount.
  17. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I heard Apple gets a tax break on educational purchases.
  18. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    That "half off for new customers" thing is a bad idea, in my opinion.

Take me and my new SprintPCS Treo 600 i bought yesterday. If any moron with a credit card walked in off the street, he could get it for $450. I had to pay $600 because I've apparently purchased a phone in the last 18 months. You believe that? It's like I'm being penalized, not rewarded, for continuing to purchase new hardware. We spend $300/month with Sprint and have like 4 or 5 phones on the plan, and many of them are the nice picture-takey phones, yet some jackass of the street gets handed $150, and that kind of ticks me off.

"First Timer" deals suck.
  19. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    you can get a high end crt for about 30-40% less than a low end lcd. the crt would have a much more broad range of resolutions and also have a better picture quality. I think paying more for an lcd just to have the thin screen is silly. if desk space is an issue it would be cheaper to buy a larger desk and stay with the crt which has a better picture anyway. most video editors or graphic designers will only use a crt because of the crispness. I have a viewsonic trinitron 19" on my G5 and it smokes any lcd.
  20. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    Designers wouldn't use a CRT for the crispness, its color accuracy they are after.

And although I agree with you that a high end CRT is better than an LCD, for some of us we can't buy a bigger desk, that involves buying a bigger apartment.
  21. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I would buy a display FOR the picture quality... which of course would be much better than a CRT... Well I'm talking about Apple Displays...
  22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I see plenty of near $1000 (lower and higher) at the warehouse club stores. They have 15 inch LCDs and Athlon 2800+ or higher or 3.0 + Pentium 4s. That's a lot of equipment for that money. No one sees how easily it works or how many viruses it will have. It's like looking at American cars in the 1960s. "How big is the engine?" "What kind of tires does it have?" How many people asked if the seats used high density foam or coil springs? ;)