The G5 Look

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Nobs, Jun 24, 2003.

1. macrumors member

I know I put myself at risk here, but am I the only one who thought the new design of the G5 wasn't that great? I think it looks too utilitarian and not aesthetic at all.

I understand that there are some cooling issues with the aluminum body, but I have to admit, I was a but disappointed by the look.

Anyone else in this camp?

2. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I feel that its only "ok" I've seen designs from apple that have made me go "Wow," and this just isn't one of them. Of course, i thought the original iMac wasn't too great looking, but it did fairly well I'd say

3. thread starter macrumors member

I dunno. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see one up close. But even the reaction at WWDC seemed pretty lukewarm, when it appeared on stage for the first time.

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

5. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: The G5 Look

see, that's the point... It's aesthetic is to appeal to the loft generation; a high-style decor with industrial or utilitarian components. It's supposed to look like a semi-generic computer from somewhere in the distant future... and yet a bit retromod too...

i'm actually hoping this design stays long enough to get a similarly-styled cinema display...after all, the iSight is modeled in the same style...

pnw

6. macrumors 6502

It matches my IKEA waste paper basket... EXACTLY.

-Wyrm

7. macrumors 601

zimv20

lol. i've got the same one. but my garbage is different.

8. macrumors regular

And I've got a different can with the same garbage!

Anyways, initially I did not like the design. But then I woke up today and took a look, and it kind of grew on me. The pictures from WWDC don't look so bad, and up close the metal effect is definitely cooler. I can't wait to see, touch, smell, hear, and possibly taste one of these babies in person! :D

9. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

OMG... I was thinking that... creepy.

10. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

ooohhh. I like that garbage can. where can i get one? :)

11. macrumors 65816

jacobj

It is utilitarian and relatively flexible. You could put it in an old office with oak panelling or a modern loft convertion and it would look just great. I have found that Apple's recent products look better in the flesh, e.g. New Powerbooks, iPods. To be honest, as lovely as the iMac is, it looks better in pictures that it does in life. Get down to a store in August and look at the G5 and then let's have this conversation

12. macrumors 6502

Well - I woke up, checked the web and went "woah".

I guess we were all expecting something different than what came out, but looking closer it really is a beautiful engineering design. Yeah, I'd like this or that, which wasn't included - but I think it is very well done.

Just stare at the following picture ripped from Apple's site and tell me they are telling a lie when they say it was designed from the inside out?

13. macrumors regular

i LIKE IT!

i definetly love it, its minimal and has a lot of class, but im thinking... Apple products are often used for TV and movies due to its looks, if those holes produce an Moire effect on screen maybe the art directors will not use it in their productions.

on the other side this my G5 prediction i modeled last year, not exactly accurate but most people on other forums though it was to square and edgy. i think its close enough in terms of looks and materials,what do u think?

14. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think, umm, ikea would be a start :)

their website sucks tho, it's "virtual catalog" based :p

reminds me, i need to order some cable lighting systems from there...

pnw

15. macrumors 65816

evildead

I like it

Personaly .. I like it. But.. im in to the minimalist metal look

16. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I don't like the looks of it either, but it wouldn't stop me from buying one (that is IF I was buying one). It's whats on the inside that counts (the case has large bones and a wonderful personality :eek: ).

17. macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Re: The G5 Look

Yeah. I'm a designer, and I think it's pretty terrible. The profile is alright, but the front and back certainly leave a lot to be desired. I've been saying that I understand the overall statement Jonathan Ive was trying to make, but I don't think he quite nailed it. It looks like it could certainly have benefitted from a couple more passes in the drawing room. Most of the other industrial designers i've spoken too seem to agree.

18. macrumors 6502a

jbomber

It's funny, because that's exactly what kept me from buying one. i refuse to put that thing on my desk in its current incarnation. I'll be waiting for Rev. B (please get rid of at least SOME of the mesh Mr. Ive).

19. macrumors 6502

Ok - so what would look better?
    Busier front?
    (apologise for the rapidly Gimp'ed image)

20. macrumors 6502a

i thought the design wasn't groundbreaking...

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Well, some guy put this together and threw it up on spymac a while back. I definitely like some of the elements in this a lot more than the current cheese grater.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's an interesting place to start.

If i hadn't sold my damn powerbook in the hopes of there being a new one announced at WWDC, I'd mock one up for you. As such i'm dying in wintel hell using a 2 year old IBM ThinkBrick.

23. macrumors 6502

I beg to disagree -

- Straight airflow channels and zones.

- Cables organized, hidden or unneccessary

- designed to run with the cover on or off.

- Main chassis formed from 1 piece of Aluminium

Beauty through simplicity.... just wish you could put more stuff in it.

I like it.

-Wyrm

24. macrumors newbie

"People have disconnected (function) from cosmetics," he said, with a shake of his head.
    -Jonathan Ive

I think the G5 box is a beauty.

In response to the picture posted above, there is a problem, it may work with a G4 in it, but I hear the G5 will be running significantly hotter, particularly at the higher clock speeds we will be seeing in the near future.

So if it's open only on the top(?), perhaps the back. this can't be good for hardware inside. You'd need at least to sides open, preferably on opposite sides of the machine(to make full use of the space inside). The front and rear panels are the only logical places to open up for airflow.

There are also economic and usability considerations, sure its a pretty picture, but it has to work as well.

Anyway, if someone could post a PC box that is better looking and even nearly as functional as the G5 box, then I would take their criticism seriously.

25. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The G5 was such a departure from the plastic flow look that it shocked a lot of us. After downloading and reading the technology overview i am more impressed with this machine and where it is going to take apple. The styling is growing on me every day, and the performance is going to be something else when 64 bit apps are made. Even on current 32 bit is smoking. Looking forward to seeing one in person( thinking hard about the base machine with combo drive. Wyrm is that a combo drive you have pictured. Is it getting better looking or is it me?