The G5

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Duder, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Duder macrumors newbie

The G5 will be released by the fall (or at least announced) @ 1.6ghz 5400 rpm HD drive:p

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

So let's make the fastest computer eve, state of the art tech, and slap in the slowest drive there is?

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

maybe he is talking about a laptop. apple has just started using 5400rpm drives in the Ti so maybe thats what he is talking about. maybe a 60 gig 5400 rpm drive in a Ti? to replace the 48gig 5400 rpm drive in there now. i dont know. anyone else have a guess what he is talking about?

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

G5

We would all love to see a G5 but it may take awhile. Thank you new member for posting something random.

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: The G5

Where'd you hear this? If Apple does release it with a 5400rpm drive I will be very annoyed. It won't matter to me (when I get a G5 I'm going to get it without a HD and swap in mine), but it would be annoying to watch them cripple a great machine. If you're just making it up, learn to make up believable rumors first. This is only slightly better than the Apple buys IBM one (which would be like Transmeta buying Intel, or Red Hat buying Microsoft).

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

8. bunge macrumors member

Then why is this in the "Rumors" section?

9. spikey macrumors 6502a

Re: The G5

Dont even tempt me.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

11. germanknee macrumors member

Duder is a fool

if anyone have the time, read this article on the G5 from the register posted March 4, 2002. i'm not sure if it's been on mac rumors news (i can't remember it being), but i thought it was pretty good.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/21692.html

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

nice article. those register articles are always so believable, but its good to recall that they had basically the exact same articles last year predicting a g5 at mwsf 2002.

im not saying they are wrong this time, but even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts now and then.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

That register article was from last year. It was dated 9/17/2001.

14. germanknee macrumors member

yes, i just realized that and came back to apologize. i feel like an idiot. i looked at the wrong part of the page.

anyway, the article does have some merit. the hyper transport bit is a little shady because the MPC85xx uses RapidIO. also, osx 10.2 and the proccessor being 64 bit is retarded. i don't think we'll see 64 bit for another year and half, maybe more, from apple.