The Game of Games Rediscovered

Discussion in 'Games' started by basura, Sep 23, 2004.

1. basura macrumors newbie

basura

I finally found, accidentally, that my favourite C64 game of all time, ELITE, has been translated to mac by an energetic genius. It's called Oolite, and it's just as sweet as the original, only better looking and enhanced. Those that knew Elite won't argue it's unsurpassed as a space sim Han Solo action mystery game.

It's free, open source, it uses iTunes for customized space soundtrack, and he keeps making it better all the time by being open to good ideas in his forum.

Just a heads up to old fans, or new ones who aren't spoiled with brilliant games on the mac.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've never heard of it but I'm downloading it now. I always enjoy finding fun little games.

3. basura thread starter macrumors newbie

basura

oh. Especially if you've never heard of it, the Elite Manual is a good place to start getting into this universe.

I envy an Elite virgin. :)

4. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I love all the old C64 games. I have an archive of most of mine, like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Hacker, and Summer Games. Oh what fun they are!

5. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

I remember reading a review about Elite in C64 magazine. I was so excited I ordered it right away. I had a two block walk down the street from my bus-stop and I could see the UPS truck in our driveway a few days later after school. I was ten, I had to order COD, I had to run!

I managed to catch the UPS guy before he drove off. I fired up the Commodore and put in the disk. I don't think I had ever been more excited about anything in my short life. After an hour of getting killed on an almost continuous basis by pirates I turned it off in disgust.

Over the years I tried a few more times, but always to the same result.

It's twenty years later. I'm trying again. Only question is, do I do it on my Mac or on my still operational C64?

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I'd go old school and use the C64. All of my 64's ended up dying; I guess it was the 6502 processor that went.

EDIT: Oh, and I envy you for having an operational machine. :)

7. basura thread starter macrumors newbie

basura

Yes, it was cruel how difficult it was. I never made Elite then. Maybe my motor skills have improved, but 20 years on it's easier than ever to dock and kill pirates. At least in Oolite.

Looking back at C-64 Elite screenshots, it's weird how those graphics could capture the imagination like they did. Still, I really appreciate this faithful mac version.

8. brap macrumors 68000

[The new version] Looks just like Elite did when it was ported to the Acorn Archimedes years ago. Many years ago... what a step up from the BBC micro that was! But why didn't the guy just get an emulator?

9. basura thread starter macrumors newbie

basura

Look into it.
    There are mac subtleties you couldn't get with an emulator.

It's an homage too I suppose.

10. Uuugggg macrumors newbie

Mreh =/ I tried Oolite, but you hyperspace into a system 10 minutes from the dock, and you can't use your super-fast-in-system drive ( that would get you there in a minute ) if there's ANY ships near you... I posted on their forums and they didn't want to speed it up. It took *way* too long to do anything =/

Was Elite like that, really slow?

11. basura thread starter macrumors newbie

basura

Elite was quite slow. I think it added to the mystery and tension.

In Oolite they did speed up the ships. The space jump can only be engaged when the radar is clear of other energy-producing objects, no so-called mass-lock.

When you get a little money you can also buy an afterburner, the witch-space fuel injector, and planet hopping becomes almost too fast.

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Ummmmm how come I have never heard of this game before? Becuase i'm a loser? I hope not! But it sounds like it would be worth the download.

13. basura thread starter macrumors newbie

basura

pgc6000, this does not necessarily prove you are a loser.

I would think this game is much more notorious with Britshers than Gringos. There was a huge hype in the UK, long ago in 85.

I may never have met an American who truly belonged to the cult of Elite. I am not sure why that is. But then, how many of them subscribed to Zzap!64?

14. aegidian macrumors newbie

I did eventually concede that it was too slow and went away to speed everything up. I wouldn't have done so if people like you hadn't taken the time to complain, so I'm grateful to you.

And thanks to basura, too, for helping get the word out.

Oolite's heading past version 1.30 now into uncharted territory. The supporting documentation is building up, with a 'First Flight' tutorial on the website alongside a 'Create Your Own Ships' guide. Plus I'm wicked proud of all the guys on the Oolite Forums for their work in just making the game better and better.

15. basura thread starter macrumors newbie

basura

No sweat. Just happy to be (harmlessly) fanatic about something.

If I was rich I'd be happy to contribute pro price to play this game and watch it grow with Mr.Aegian's hard work and today's technology. Now while I'm poor I'm just very grateful.
    The Elite atmosphere is very well translated to Mac, except the visual and music elements make it cooler than I remember. I think like Elite Oolite is a "special" game.

The next expansion ideas sound good too, and interesting from an Elite purist point of view. I've never seen a game evolve "live" like this before, and it's pretty enjoyable not knowing where it is going.