the ginsberg connection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 25, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

as many have probably seen, benjamin ginsberg, the bush campaign's top outside lawyer, resigned from the campaign today because of his connections to the swift boat veterans.

as this graph shows, the connections go on...
    [​IMG]

graph can be found here

2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I don't put much stock in these 527 connections. The Republican's have theirs too. It's a shell game. We should get rid of these things all together.

http://www.blogsforbush.com/mt/images/infographicfull.jpg

See. Whoever wins will get the other party claiming campaign finance fraud. This isn't good for democracy.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man, I wish we had campaigns on the issues and the candidates. Not ruled by focus groups and the such.

I support the idea that networks owing their right to broadcast over public airwaves, should allow for airing of ads at no charge for the candidates. That contributions can only be from individuals, and limited to $1000.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually, if we just reestablished the Fairness Doctrine (a victim of the Reagan years), we'd probably have far fewer of these ads because the networks would be forced to provide equal time to opposing views.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Didn't that bit the dust with the air traffic controllers....

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm actually less concerned with the links by lawyers than I am with the lies in the SVBT ads. By my count now, three of the veterans who are neither swift nor truthful (props to The Daily Show for that one ;) ) have now been confirmed to have lied on their affidavit. How many of the people coming to Kerry's defense have been discredited? None that I've seen. At least not in anyway other than he-said-she-said. Thurlow has a medal from the same engagement wherein the citation mentions enemy fire. French has admitted to, what was it that conservatives were so aghast at Bill Clinton for committineg? Oh yes, perjury. French signed an affidavit swearing to have firsthand knowledge of Kerry's actions, but upon further questioning only has thirdhand info at best. Perjury got BC impeached, yet this Oregon prosecutor has escaped the righteous wrath of conservatives who proclaimed that they were fed up with lying by gov't officials. And the third whose name I forget was shown in a video not 10 years ago saying how brave Kerry's actions had been that day. Nary a word of dissent then, yet now his story changes.

7. macsrus macrumors 6502

Agreed... Lets also do away with the $250,000 a plate dinners and such too..

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There are issues?

9. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Then the left wing mass media would have a monopoly on political news due to freedom of the press laws.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

what part of equal time to opposing views doesn't make sense to you? However, I do think that small parts of the media over which either the left or right wing media has dominance, even monopoly, such as particular networks, take advantage of freedom of the press laws as it stands to allow for bias.

I do think it's a dangerous road down which to go, though, to try to enforce impartiality through legislation; unbiasedness is a vague idea and it would be hard to define precisely. Moreover, such a law at least discourages opinion, which has its place, as well. In fact, I have a feeling that the Fairness Act could do more to promote oppression and prevention of a free and fair media than it would do to eliminate those evils. In the end, I think that the closest we'll get to an even-handed opinion lies in the sheer plurality and variety of our news sources--Though individually many sources carry a bias, the audience has access to a wide range of sources that together comprise a reasonably even approach to any given story.

11. macsrus macrumors 6502

something else...
    A benifit or negative... depends on your side...
    Of the whole equal time issue would be ... it would allow other candidates equal time too... So the 2 prevailing parties would hate this...

The negative side would be you just might see spots on TV from a handfull of nutjobs. So legitimate candidates would only get the same amount of time as say.... the Natural Law Party..

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Nope, Chip is mistaken :p

13. macsrus macrumors 6502

An aside....

I have little to no trust in the media to actually report anything factual...
    My reasoning is from personal experience with 5 news outlits....

I was personally interviewed by U.S. Today, Washington Post, 2 local news channels and a local paper. I wont disclose the subject of the interview because I want to remain anonymous. Suffice it to say not one of the News outlits came close to to reporting anything accurate... I spent alot of time on and off camera... and was recorded by the Post and U.S. Today and none of the BOZO's Could even remotely quote me correctly...
    Even the on camera interviews were distorted by having my words not match questions or taken out of context....

So I completly take what I read and see on TV with a large dose of salt

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ah, no. This was not an issue when the Fairness Doctrine was in effect, which was for many decades, ending only in the mid-80s. The idea behind the Fairness Doctrine was that the media had a responsibility to the wider public, not just the bottom line. An old fashioned idea, I admit, but a good one.