The Girl's a Genius!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jeromino, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Jeromino macrumors newbie

Dec 18, 2002
    A bit of back-story needs to start this off, I hope it isn't too taxing..

Recently I've been starting to piece together some concepts. I'm drafting some friends/aquaintances into a team to do some form of local event production. Half of the crew has some skills in the video editing/Concert Production range, another quarter have done some publication work, and the last quarter are new, but flat-out interested. We're all fairly young, a collection of college students that did this stuff in high school (festival on the front lawn; an L-shaped school has remarkably good outdoor acoustics) and a few of us are still seeking out career options and whatnot. We've got a lot of contacts in the area (RI) and are considering pairing the production ideas with some charitable interests. You might recall the nightclub fire back in February, which added to the need for charitable help in the area. With that cause still looming large (100 affected families) and a collection of other great organizations that I've worked with in the past, we have some philanthropic angles that can get us some fantastic experience.

Anyway, I can sometimes be a top-down type of organizer, and it's been plaguing me that I've been unable to label this thing. There's only so far I can go with "Project ___" or whatever before I need identity, and some sort of visual presence (even if it's temporary). I've concluded that if the charitable efforts become wrapped into a single annual event or something of the sort, that event and the entire movement will need its own name. I've done quite well with that part (I'm keeping specific names out of this due to some past... experiences... with domain snatching), however I never got a name for our actual productions, or what could someday become a parent production company. Any show we did would eventually have a DVD that could be sold or in someway marketed, as well as other material - these 'productions' would best fall under that "parent name." But I had no parent name, and it drove me crazy.

So today, I'm out shopping with a very close friend, after a lunch of blabbering on about the abstracts of this project. She's part of the group that wants to help, but needs to get her feet wet slowly, as this isn't really her alley. So I blindly ask her some questions about color schemes while we're looking at jackets in a bookstore, appealing to her very high fashion sense. Soon after, I use a subtle technique that Jobs and the boys seem to succeed with.

"Okay, name me an interesting animal. Not your standard 'dog-cat', something that stands out to you as interesting and cool."

"A White Tiger. I think they're beautiful, and they're so rare."

I then explained to her how things like that can poke at a name, and how that type of identity can quickly become concept art. I then told her the story of the evolution of OSX, and she was surprised she'd hit on something similar.

Since we're not going with "White Tiger" in general, I went more specific a la Apple. I did some digging tonight, and after reading a thorough history of the classification, I found that it's so rare that it has a few popular members that helped it get where it is today (ahem). The classification stems from India, and as such, one member came with just a remarkable name. Simply beautiful.

Unsuspectingly, I think she just nailed down my name/image/early art. You've gotta love it.

Anybody have any similar stories or interesting ways of coming upon a nifty name/logo/whatever?

[edit: Title]
  2. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    last year, my senior year in high school, we were looking for a local logo for our International Baccalaureate program, because IB doesn't let people copy its own rather sucky logo. as the teacher explained that we were looking for some good student designs, i sketched out some stuff, trying to think of an interesting way to merge the I and the B. before long, i had come up with the idea to use lower case letters, and put the i inside the left stem of the b. i sketched it out and showed it to some friends. they thought it was OK, but nothing too special. not discouraged, i went home that day and played around with it in photoshop. the end result was this concept:

which was later used in other logos, like this:

my teacher just loved it, as did most everyone else, and it's ended up on our site, on all kinds of documents...

here is the monochrome version i did for low quality prints:

Attached Files:

• ib.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
  3. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    hmmm, I really like the b&w version... good job Shadowfax! :) :) :)

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    thanks. monochrome is the best. simple and memorable, and cheap to print ;)
  5. Jeromino thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 18, 2002
    Nice job, I think that's exactly what I'm talking about.. it's intriguing what happens the few moments after you discover an idea and get to working on it.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Great job Shadowfax, beautiful. I would prefer using the color whenever possible though!

The 1st one would look great as a desktop! :cool: