The "glamorous" world of business travel...

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Feb 7, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't know how many of the members here travel for business, but based on other threads, I have the feeling it's a reasonably large number of you. For those of you, like myself, who do "get" to travel, do you love it or hate it?

Me? It's hard to say, I guess. Right now, I hate it, so sorry for the bitching thread. I travel fairly often (last year I flew about 65,000 miles), and it seems that it's never convenient, even though many people think it's so nice to see all these other places. Yes I have been to places I never would have gone to on my own, but all of that comes at a price that many don't understand.

For example, this week I had to travel yesterday and miss the Superbowl. Next week I get to be gone on Valentine's day. Last year I missed Mother's Day (my wife's first with our new son). I've traveled on birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, weekends, etc. And contrary to what most people think, it's generally not a tourist trip, even when it's to nice places.

And no offense to Mr Anderson, but missing Valentine's Day with my wife so I can spend it in Warsaw, Indiana with business associates isn't tops on my list ;). But that's where I'll be next week.

So I guess I'd be interested in hearing what the rest of you think of the glamorous world of business travel.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The glamorous world of business travel generally isn't.

Pros
    You can use the business lounges and are more likely to get upgrades - even when on family travel

Cons
    You're often away from family at important events
    You can identify hotel chains from their room decor easier than you can remember your bedroom rug
    You've seen every movie offered on every airline
    You can't sleep without the 'white noise' of an airplane engine
    You eat mostly unhealthy food (even the best restaurants tend to have highly calorific meals which are fine as a treat but not every day)
    When someone asks you what a city was like, you can describe the sights as seen from 10,000 ft, the route from the airport and the view from your office window - people ask why you didn't stay an extra few days to see the city not realising that you just want to get home and see the family more than you wanted to walk across the Golden Gate bridge.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No fun at all after a while. I raveled a lot on business at one point. About 4 to 6 times a month for about 9 months. Gained about 30 pounds during that time.

I knew I was flying too much, when I got off a flight and swore with the gate agent that I was in the wrong airport! They started to look the same to me by then.

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

65000 miles isn't that bad. I'm on the west coast with family, friends, etc on the east coast. In 4 months I've racket up 29k on personal trips alone. Add business trips in there and it's a nightmare. I thought it would be fun at first.....

BEN

5. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Very true - when you have to fly 7,000 miles round trip every time you visit family, that adds up quickly. I'm not sure which is worse - several long trips or many short trips.

While I don't mind being gone a day or two at a time - many of my trips are 1000 miles one way or less - I am not generally fond of being away for a week or more at a time (such as going to Europe).

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    my dad used to go on business trips a lot about a trip every 3 weeks that lasted a week to 2 even 3 it sucked cuz u never spent time with him :(

glad he stoped now tho

7. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

That's what I'm afraid of - my kids will remember me being away on holidays or something. So far, I haven't missed any of the kids' birthdays - and my plan is never to do so. For my daughter, it will be easy, since her birthday is New Year's day. But my son is early November, so it will be a little more of a trick from time to time.

8. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Man, nothing personal, but this thread is a major bummer.

9. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

And you just have to read it - not live it :p

It wasn't intended as a downer thread - just a bit of a release for me as I sit here in boring standards meetings away from home. At least it's warm!

Actually, last night I was reminded once again why I love my Mac - I was able to use my iSight on my PowerBook to video conference via iChatAV with my family at home on the iMac. In years past, I could only talk on the phone - to be able to see them and them to see me is nice. Plus it allows the kids to see where I am (my daughter always used to think I just stayed on the plane the whole time).

10. deryk macrumors regular

Business Travel

I logged 40,000 miles last year and will do the same this year. It's a love hate thing for me. Like you stated, I have the opportunity to travel to some places where I normally wouldn't go and see places that I might not have been to on my own. However, travelling for pleasure is not as fun as it use to be because just being at an airport reminds me of work. This year, I flew my family to me for the holidays, so I could avoid flying.

11. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Even worse than the movie repeats is the menu repeats. I've found that menu's change rarely. So when I fly to London its always the same food choices. That gets old quick!

12. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Yes, but the food's so good in the first place :eek:

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    A few years ago, British Airways used to do a very good Thai chicken curry on the Sunday night shuttle from Glasgow to London.

Sadly, it's now changed to a salad bowl with some unidentifiable protein. Last time I was convinced I was eating a Nicoise salad until virtually the last mouthful when I realised that what I thought was tuna was chicken marinated in a strange sauce. :confused:

I also had a spell on that same route where I saw the same flight crew every other week on a reasonably quiet flight. The guy in the row next to me looked at me very oddly when the steward just handed me my vodka and tonic one night rather than asking. :p

14. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Agreed -- it has it's pros and cons. On the upside, I got to see Brazil last week, but to get home to California, I did Brazil to JFK to Dallas to California over a 20 hour period. And, I was the lucky sap with the only non-reclining, broken seat on the 9 1/2 hour flight to JFK.

good times. :)

15. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Hee hee. Yeah, I flew coach to Buenos Aires once. 11 1/2 hours in a packed plane is not a good way to travel. I can only imagine not having a seat that reclines :eek:

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If it weren't for biz travel I wouldn't have a job right now. As bad as you have it, think about aircrew who have to travel to their crew base on top of their jobs!

I'm sitting in Bloomington IN after an overnight, and fly tomorrow too. I miss a lot of family activities, but because I am a corp pilot not airline, I miss less than most of my airline buds. I don't even get mileage for it either! Have racked up 200000 marriot pt and 100000 on others though.

Corp jet travel is the way to go, no lines, few hassels.

17. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I'll talk to my manager about that one; I'm sure it will go over well! :D

18. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I am growing to positively hate business travel. All the countries just blend into one, I never have time to explore any country and having to be 'entertained' is seriously doing my nut in. That and the fact I've seen more of my travel agent than my girlfriend is not a good thing. It has its moments but I'll be glad when I can jack it in.

Saying that airport lounges are a great place to browse MR!