The Goblet of Fire!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ColoJohnBoy, May 8, 2005.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Huzzah! I haven't seen the special clips from ABC, but Warner Bros. released the trailer for the fourth Harry Potter movie!

High Res. QuickTime Trailer

Only brief glimpes, but it looks fantastic. In particular the portions of the score played are incredible! They sound nothing like other John Williams music, or even like the other Potter movies.

I'm salivating. I can't wait to purchase my tickets to London! (I've made a tradition of travelling to London for the premiere of each movie and seeing it at the Odeon Leicester Square :) )

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Ooo a dragon. I think the first harry potter movie was terrible, but they seem to be getting better little by little.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

wow that loooks well good. personally i'm not a big fan of the films (i much much prefer the films) but that does loook really good!, cant wait!

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    They're getting better cause they're no longer using Chris Columbus, the lamest excuse for a director ever.

5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

the book is awesome (best book so far imo) its also very long, not sure how they are going to cram it in

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Nice!

I've read a couple of the books. (I got my partner all of them and he read them in a week - now a full-blown Harry Potter addict.)

I'll have to try and read this one before it's out. ;)

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It is going to be interesting to see how they fit all the important bits in but I'm sure they'll manage!

I agree that the books are better than the films but the films have managed to capture the 'fun' aspect of the book and feel right. I don't think that either are the epitome of their genre but they're very readable/watchable as some escapism.

Must confess to not being a great fan of the Odeon Leicester Square; it always strikes me as being a bit tatty (although that's perhaps Leicester Square as a whole). I've found a marvellous little cinema in Lower Regent St that makes going to the movies a fun experience again and allows you to take a drink (alcoholic) into the film with you while you lie back in their incredible seats.

This one is being released simultaneously in the IMAX cinemas which I think might be an interesting way to see those dragons...

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm guessing you mean books ;) :)

I've only just recently read the books (haven't seen the films), never got the whole "Harry Potter" thing before but I have to say I'm changing my mind. The books are very well written and a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to The Half Blood Prince and, after watching the trailer, the film as well. Thinking IMAX is the way to go!

9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Does anybody know the actual date for the Goblet of Fire movie?

I know that Half-Blood Prince (novel release) is July 16 in the US.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  11. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

12. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Is this the one with Jarvis Cocker and Jonny greenwood as part of the weird sisters?

(haven't finished the download yet ... damn slow connection)

13. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Agreed. The quality improved ten-foldon the third one simply because they uased Alfonso Cuaron as director... you know, someone with talent and artistic leanings.

Has anyone heard of the fella directing the fifth Potter movie, David Yates? Any ideas about the quality of his work so far?

14. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Never heard of him. It looks like he's mostly done TV work. I wonder why they chose him? I guess they're planning to have a different director for the rest of the films?

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

17. Link macrumors member

Interesting, the animation of the dragons looks rather well done, at least from what you see of them in the trailer.

18. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

ummmmm ok;)

I think the trailer looks good though, I thought that the second movie improved on the first one, but then the third one changed styles because of a new director and I didn't like it. This looks promising though.

19. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

HOLY S**T, THEY ARE NOT KIDS ANYMORE!

Wow. I was watching and thought, "awesome, a new harry potter movie trailer!" then I see them.

THEY ARE ALL SO OLD AND UGLY!

I remember on VH1's Best Week Ever when HP and the PoS came out, they were making fun of harry because radcliffe or whatever was getting old - they had this guy and he was like "I liked when Hermione punched Malfoy. I would have punched him too, but I was too busy getting an erection!"

Wow, this movie's gonna suck. Not because of bad acting, but because we'll be watching like 20 year olds playing 14 year olds...

20. iGary Guest

iGary

Daniel Radcliffe is 15, Rubert Grint is 16....OLD?

21. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

And I am 13. And I dont have long hair and a chizzled jaw yet... they are old to me.

Plus, they are 2 years older than the charachters in the book. By the 7th book they'll be a little under 25 at this pace.

22. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I am in somewhat of a disagreement here. I thought the 3rd movie was the worst translation of all (Titanic parody scene with Harry on the hypogriff?). The first and 2nd, on the other hand were manageable. Not extraordinary, but certainly not border-line insulting like the 3rd.

23. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

Presumably you're ignoring the first 30 seconds, which is [playlistId=13545470&selectedItemId=13545487]A Window to the Past[/playlistId] from the last film (but played at a different pitch). ;)

I would be surprised if the other music actually appears in the film, it really doesn't sound like John William's music as you said, but more like the standard 'dramatic' music a lot of trailers have. John Williams may not have even started on the score yet, with still 6 months to go before release.

24. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Definately need to know the name of that place! Second your opinion on the Odeon - worst seats ever. Saw the premier of The World Is Not Enough there and swore never to go back.

I'm still undecided on my opinion on the third film. Darker... yes. But some of the explainations that were missed out (why Harry's patronus was a stag - totally glazed over) and like Mav451 I thought that Titanic moment was near unforgivable.... still overall 'twas enjoyed!

It'll be nice to get it to its normal winter schedule - I really liked having the Hp films in Nov and the main event (LOTR) in December. Will be interesting to see if teh Narnia films are up to much as I was a huge fan as a kid, but I always thought the books didn't age particualrly well - couldn't read them as a 20-something.....

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

mmm, just a teaser - I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more, not just half of it spent seeing the kids grow up over the course of the 4 films.

And Rowling better get going, otherwise the 7th film will end up waiting for the book to be written....

D