The Good and Bad about Nintendo Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by Symtex, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Symtex macrumors 6502a

now that the launch of the Nintendo Wii is over and that the console is now in the hands of consumer. I would like to give my Good and Bad list about Nintendo Wii.

The Good :
    1. I tip my hat to the Nintendo fan. They have show the world that real gamers are not violent and are civil. I watch the whole NYC launch on the web and I was impress. I am not the most nintendo fan ( GPL and ragged will testify it) but I gotta say, Kudos. Take that Mr. Thomson.

2. The availability of the console. The fact that without a pre-order you could walk into a store and have a chance to purchase a Wii on Day one is a great achievement by Nintendo. hey Sony, are yo listening ?

3. Attach rate. I was impress. not only Nintendo sold very well but they also sold games, accessories, Nintendo points. Sony have a lesson or two to learn.

4. Zelda. I don't need to justify

5. Nintendo even convince me to get one. Now. that is no small feat.

6. Virtual Console. Great game available for launch. Great holiday gift.

The Bad :

1. Nintendo even convince me to get one. How did that happen ?

2. The Wii-mote should be using wireless/bluthoot technology instead of infrared. For those who has open they package and saw the infrared attachment that you have to place over your television. It makes the Wii a lot less portable. If you have use the sticker to put the reader in place, You would need to have an extra reader to carry with you. It's also look very fragile. Might now be good for kids.

3. No rechargable battery. We can certainly argue about not being a negative point but nonetheless. The other console on the market have them, Nintendo should follow.

4. No online play on Day 1. COD3 and Red Steel would need thoses features.

I was the most skeptical gamers. I have to admit that Nintendo had a pretty succesfull launch and will continue to do well over the Xmas period. I still believe that the Wii is a great second console of choice. I still think that X360 will continu to be my main console for the next 4-5 years.

PS: I was working graveyard and didn't get a Wii. maybe next week.

2. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I agree with everything you said except this one. All buttons and motion sensing are in fact registered using bluetooth. Point your controller in the opposite direction of the screen or cover the infrared diode and press a button. Still works!

However, it is physically impossible to use bluetooth for pointer purposes, which is where the infrared comes in. It's only used when you point the remote at the screen. It stinks because it adds extra (and fragile-looking) parts, and requires line-of-sight, but there's really no other cheap way to implement it. They did what they could on that one.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The infrared has nothing to do with the wirelessness (made up word) of the Wii controller. Its there to detect where abouts on the screen the Wiimote is aimed. The actual controllers use bluetooth I believe. :)

The batteries should have been rechargeable I admit though. Rechargeable *and* replaceable at the same time. Although I guess thats just one less thing for Nintendo to worry about!

Edit: Beaten to it!

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The big bad for me is no online at launch...seriously...come on nintendo. The wii took along time to detect my internet connection as well as the second remote.

Bless

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Wow, I didn't expect you would actually buy one :eek:

The Wii is using Bluetooth. The infrared is used for tracking the sensor bar (which lets the remote know where the TV is in the room).

If you play a game like Excite Truck that doesn't use the pointer you can even disconnect the sensor bar.

Fully agreed.

6. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am a owner of the Gamecube. I always liked Nintendo maybe that is why I was always so critical of them.

7. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Just buy some rechargeable AA's. Problem solved.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This must be a regional problem. In the UK if you have any kind of electronic that uses batteries - you buy rechargeable ones. ~2500mHa super batteries that only require a 1-2 hour charge period every what... 4 months for my mouse? 3 months for a Wavebird? And they don't cost that much either, £5.99 for 4 damn good ones (that's 2 Wii controllers right there).
    Crazy if you ask me. Rechargeable AA's is the way to go.

I don't know about the details, but isn't Infrared better than BlueTooth? I've heard about infrared mice being more responsive than BT, more bandwidth or something. meh. if theres no wireless lag then I don't care what they use.

9. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I'm going to get some of these - http://www.usbcell.com/

Perfect because you don't even need a charger - plug them straight into the Wii.

10. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

Violence in video game [lines].

I think that might have something to do with the violence in video games? Not that I'm a true believer in media causing violent behavior, but the fact that Nintendo has less FPS and M games, might have at least a little to do with the "civility" (sp?) compared to the other system lines. I heard people were shot for the PS3. Yikes.

Although I did hear of an old man attempting to mug some guys in line at my local BB... cops nearby broke it up quickly though. Maybe my argument is mute now.

I didn't wait in any line, I didn't pre-order one, my sister thinks I'm a big dork, but I'll get one soon enough.

I remember in one of the adds a few months ago it showed an old guy waving the wiimote around like a conductos baton. Do any games included do that? I want to conduct my Wii! (A Symphonwii? A Wiichastra?)

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That'd be Wii Music. I think little is known about this so far.

Now that's mad! but with the USB dongle on one end surely they'll be heavier, cost more and hold less than a traditional rechargeable battery? Chargers are insanely cheap, we got a 1-2 hour charger for just £12.99, or free if you bought £20 worth of batteries (about 12/16 of them).

12. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe i am too lazy but sometime I forgot to recharge my battery. What I like about the X360 is If ran out of charge, I can just plub in the USB cable and continue my experience.

13. chaslam macrumors regular

Is anyone using a Wii on a HDTV? I have to say, im a bit worried it not being in HD that the picture will be crap on my HDTV which is putting my off alot. My brothers PS2 and my Gamecube are so bad on our HDTVs that we have actually had to stop using them, and the 360 is perfect.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the wii isnt HD ready for games like the 360 is it? How does it plug into the TV? Scart?

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It'll look just as bad as the PS2 and the Cube unless you get Component cables, in which case it will look better, but still nowhere near as good as the 360.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The idea that "people were shot for the PS3 because of violent video games" is just lame. People were trampled and there were mobs and shots fired because those particular stores didn't have a plan for people. ie: a line.

And let's not forget the Wii is a 250 dollar console. The thing wouldn't fetch 5k+ on ebay like the PS3 has. When money and profit come into play, human nature tends to show its ugly side.

Aside from that, interesting review.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It will look the same as a 360 using Component cables in 480p.