Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Pretty much all of the media luvvies I know have been hammering on at me about how amazing their "Live" performance was at the MTV Europe Awards, so I've finally gotten round to sourcing it, and it really is top banana!!! ;) and REALLY does look like holograms. :eek:

So yeah, have at it :)

And more info here

and

here.

Thoughts?

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
I didn't like it at all--the design simply didn't capture the edgy look of the cartoon. That may very well be impossible since it's 2D, but still... a video would've been better.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Pretty impressive stuff, but for some reason for me it didn't quite work. Possibly wasn't quite dynamic enough, but it can only get better. I read somewhere else that the technology is improving constantly, and the Gorillaz will do a full tour in a couple of years which will look awesome.

edesignuk said:
I luuuuuuuurv that track too

Me too. One of the standout tracks on a great album

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Koodauw said:
pretty impressive. Isn't it just two people who do most of the work for makin the music?

Damon Albarn (from Blur) does most of the music, and Jamie Hewlett (creator of Tank Girl) does the visuals. It strikes me that Damon Albarn has it easy with this playing live stuff - the music is already recorded. Jamie Hewlett on the other hand has had to create elaborate 3D images.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Koodauw said:
pretty impressive. Isn't it just two people who do most of the work for makin the music?
Yeah, what is the deal with the Gorillaz?

And does anyone know how the show was actually done? Holograms?

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
pdpfilms said:
Yeah, what is the deal with the Gorillaz?

And does anyone know how the show was actually done? Holograms?

1. See my post above (must have beat you to posting :D )
2. See iGav's original post - the last link

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Kernow said:
It strikes me that Damon Albarn has it easy with this playing live stuff - the music is already recorded. Jamie Hewlett on the other hand has had to create elaborate 3D images.
Might be going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure that Jamie draws the stuff ahead of time as well ;)!

very few cartoons are drawn live. Tends to be an awful strain on the animators hands

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
I saw a bit of the show the other day and I actually thought they were puppets or something lol :eek: . Figured it out quickly though.

I thought it was done brilliantly. Too bad the music sucks though.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
3rdpath said:
ok, I just spit Soda onto my keyboard...thanks for the chuckle.
It's actually an unreferenced Simpsons quote :).

I just finished DLing and that is really cool. The animation is absolutely fantastic - and I love that song. Noodles looks amazing when she comes out with her guitar. Damon is a musical god.

The only thing that shirks me about the clip is the rent a crowd in front. All that animation and effort seems wasted on them. They just spend the whole time waving their hands above their heads so it can be in the shot. Bugs me about all the MTV crowds though...

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
interesting ... i liked the look of the characters and the new live mix, but i found the energy level of the characters a letdown. they seemed lethargic compared to their first album. though, this song is a bit mellow. a nice track, but not much in terms of live presence.

they could have a least nodded their heads a bit ... :confused:

...still, you gotta love those Gorillaz. ;)

peace | neut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.