The Grand Challenge

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by carpe diem, Sep 30, 2005.

1. carpe diem macrumors 6502

It's the ultimate robot reality show: 43 contestants battling for a spot in a government-sponsored desert race intended to speed development of unmanned military combat vehicles.

The reward? A $2 million cash prize.

The autonomous robotic vehicles began competing Wednesday in the first of a series of qualifying rounds at the California Speedway. Half will advance to the October 8 starting line of the so-called Grand Challenge.

The grueling, weeklong semifinals are designed to test the vehicles' ability to cover a roughly 2-mile stretch of the track without a human driver or remote control.

Participants ranging from souped-up SUVs to military behemoths will be graded on how well they can self-drive on rough road, make sharp turns and avoid obstacles -- hay bales, trash cans, wrecked cars -- while relying on GPS navigation and sensors, radar, lasers and cameras that feed information to computers.

From CNN (dont know how to do the quote thing

2. dansuz1 macrumors member

dansuz1

3. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Why don't they just trane monkies to drive humvees?

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

that's old news. i see a bunch of them every time i take the highway

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Last year nobody even made it through half the course. Hopefully that will change. I believe there is a high school competing, or there was before, that stands a good chance. I wish my school had had something cool like that.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah, last year's effort didn't work out so well, but the whole concept behind the race is to stimulate the development of an unmanned reconaissance vehicle, and it will probably take a few years for a truly viable concept to show up.