Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
It's the ultimate robot reality show: 43 contestants battling for a spot in a government-sponsored desert race intended to speed development of unmanned military combat vehicles.

The reward? A $2 million cash prize.

The autonomous robotic vehicles began competing Wednesday in the first of a series of qualifying rounds at the California Speedway. Half will advance to the October 8 starting line of the so-called Grand Challenge.

The grueling, weeklong semifinals are designed to test the vehicles' ability to cover a roughly 2-mile stretch of the track without a human driver or remote control.

Participants ranging from souped-up SUVs to military behemoths will be graded on how well they can self-drive on rough road, make sharp turns and avoid obstacles -- hay bales, trash cans, wrecked cars -- while relying on GPS navigation and sensors, radar, lasers and cameras that feed information to computers.

From CNN (dont know how to do the quote thing

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Last year nobody even made it through half the course. Hopefully that will change. I believe there is a high school competing, or there was before, that stands a good chance. I wish my school had had something cool like that.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Yeah, last year's effort didn't work out so well, but the whole concept behind the race is to stimulate the development of an unmanned reconaissance vehicle, and it will probably take a few years for a truly viable concept to show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.