The Great Apple Heist!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by .:*Robot Boy*:., Nov 5, 2005.

1. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

So, a friend and I went out for the night after working on assignments all afternoon. We left our computers (my PowerBook, his iBook), amongst other things, at his place and headed for the pub. It was excellent - we drank some great beer and played some pool.

Then we got home and my friend had a quizzical look on his face. I looked around the room and noticed a lot of empty space that wasn't there when we left. It turns out that someone had broken in and stolen the following:

• The PowerBook in my signature
    • His 14" 1.33Ghz iBook
    • His Digidesign M-Bag and my Targus notebook case
    • His 20GB 4G iPod
    • His Digidesign MBox
    • DVDs
    • An ADSL modem

Ironically, they didn't take the microphones that were strewn across the couch (we're both Audio Engineering students) - they would've gone great with their newfound MBox/PowerBook home-studio setup :rolleyes:.

The loss of our most valueable posessions doesn't bother me as much as the fact that we both had a lot of work on those computers and our last day of polytech is 5 days away. In my case, I had a fully mastered EP that was about to be pressed/released and no backup (I still have the multitracks and final mixes backed up, but mastering it all again is going to be a drag) as well as a lot of irreplaceable independant music, movies, etc. In his case, he had a series of commercial podcasts that he'd recorded, assignments, etc.

I'm sure insurance will cover everything. New Zealand insurance companies actually help out in these situations (unlike some of the US insurance company horror stories I've heard). But a lot of that data was priceless. We both feel crap for not having backed it up, but I guess that's just one of many lessons we've learned this evening.

So, here's where you guys come in :)

First of all, what details should I/can I give to the police? They're coming 'round in the morning to dust for fingerprints (which I'm guessing is just a formality). I guess all I have is my serial number, but I doubt they'll try to sell it as my PowerBook was password-protected.

Secondly, is there any way they can access my data? The second they open it, they're going to be greeted with a password field, but I haven't bothered with FileVault or anything. I know that you can reset the password if you have the installer discs, but is it really that easy? Will they lose all of my keychain information if they're savvy enough to do this?

And finally, I'm guessing that my replacement will be a current 15" PowerBook, but do you think I should try and get my hands on another Rev. D? I really don't like the idea of not being able to access the processor performance from Energy Saver as I do a lot of recording in places where there is no power supply and I really need to suck every last hertz out of my processor. Has anyone found this to be irksome? Or are the better screens, DL-DVD drives, etc a fair trade-off?

Ok, sob story over. At least I have my G3 :). Unfortunately, I'm typing on the original 1999 keyboard and I'm using the hockey puck mouse. I never realised how reliant I was on the PowerBook keyboard and trackpad scrolling!

2. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Man I feel sorry for your loss; especially long ago I wanted a Mac so badly I would have paid someone to go steal one - I was stupid then; thankfully I wised up before looking for someone that stupid to do it.

Having remembered the real crooks in my old neighborhood. Have the cops & yourself & friend check out the local buy & sell websites & newspapers that allow anyone with an ad. Also the local pawn shops & the next neighboring city - large. Now check out anything remotely like what was yours and if you even find one that is yours dont accuse the person - they may have someone punt you in the head and finish the robbing job. Just go straight to the police and investigators and mention your findings - have a friend across the street with a camera to take pictures of the meeting if its public venue; I'll hope the meeting is at the boneheads place that stole it from you guys.

Bon Chance; and hope graduation isnt that hard. Hope your remix of the final project is better than the last.;)

3. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That sucks! Will insurance cover it?

PS- Dont buy any PBs or iBooks for the next couple days off ebay! ;)

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Woah... I'm sorry for your loss, man.

I would go to the cops with the serial numbers of everything that was stolen.
    Then, I'd check the local Pawn Shops and the like.

I'm glad to see that you have a good attitude about it, joking about the hockey puck mouse and all.. if I were you I'd still be foaming at the mouth and freaking out.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

thats sucks man, hope everything works out for the best.

Bless

6. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Oh my, I can't express how sorry I am to hear of your misfortune. Also, I applaud you for your positive attitude on the whole affair. I don't NEED my iBook, I have it just for fun, and if it were to be stolen I think I would cry. :( Heavily.:( I wish you the best of luck in righting this wrong. I really hope you catch the jerk who did this.

7. .:*Robot Boy*:. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your sympathy guys :)

I just had a pretty restless night. I had a horrible dream where I was sitting in my friends house watching some dirty old hobo steal my PowerBook... and I couldn't move, or yell, or anything. It was awful :eek:.

We called the police last night and they said they would come 'round this morning, but I guess they have better things to do with their Sunday mornings 'cause they haven't shown up yet and they're being very vague as to when they will.

I called my insurance company today, and they're being terribly uncooperative. They want a copy of the police report before I can make a claim - the acquisition of which is totally dependant on the police doing their 'thing'. My friend and I need our computers now more than ever (we've got some 'cultural recordings' to do and we need to go to churches and record choirs and stuff like that).

Oh well, these things tend to work themselves out. I'm thinking of getting a 120GB hard disk in my new PowerBook ;)

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Thing number 1: buy an external Firewire drive that you can back everything up onto. Use something like Superduper or Sync or similar to make regular and frequent backups.

Thing number 2: See if you can rent a laptop for the next week or 4, and use it with Thing one until your replacements get sorted.

9. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

man that sucks
    hopefully you find out who did it