the Great Cat Predictor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 27, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nearly 15 years ago, i got two cats. they were littermates. after a long illness, i put the first one down on september 4, 2001 -- 7 days before 9/11.

the second one, after a long illness, stopped eating two days ago. i put him down tonight -- 7 days before july 4.

now, i'm not saying i'm superstitious, but if cat-downing history is a reliable predictor, the US will be seeing a domestic terrorist strike in 7 days.

<dramatic music>
    bom bom BOM
    </dramatic music>

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That sucks. :(

---

But if the FBI knocks on your door tonight and drags your ass out of bed while investigating the great twin cat terrorist detection squad, we'll know what is going on when your not around for a few years.

After the FBI spent all that money investigating a teddy bear recently, I wouldn't put it past them to investigate a couple of cats.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well I hope your cats aren't prescient but either way you need to get another cat or two. We've also got a pair of littermates here and they rather own the place.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

man. You know it's rough when you are seriously considering the merits of dead-cat divination for terrorist attacks...

if this proves true, it is kinda too bad you didn't have five cats instead...

seriously, I do hope not. Even if true, at least both your cats went out to a peaceful world of Domestic tranquility, we should all be so lucky...

Damn you Zim...Damn you...

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    spewed my dr. pepper with that one...

btw zim, sorry to hear about your cats...i've got two ginger cats and the thought of losing them is just crushing.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that.... our cat is only 11 and losing her would really be tough.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks, everyone. it's a hard, hard decision, but i feel it was the right one.

and now we shall see what we shall see.

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

poor kitties... I lost my first cat (as an adult) about a year ago. He died on his own, didn't have to do it for him. Thankfully, I don't look forward to having to make that decision.

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

zim,

sorry about your cats, but what is the significance of the seven day delay on terrorist attacks? Surely, bin Laden has good enough intelligence that it doesn't take him a week to know your cat died? "Those infidels, they have let another kitty die -- strike now!" :eek: ;)

10. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i do not know the mechanism and am relying on a single data point :)

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sound approach. I take it you are using Fox news as your inspiration. :D

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or Colin Powell.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I no longer doubt the special powers of cats. We've got one that consistently anticipates when we're going to open a can of tuna. He can be sound asleep in another room, but even before the opener touches the lid, there he'll be, standing right at your feet, looking up expectantly. This is not an especially bright cat -- in fact he's as thick as two planks. But he certainly is a tuna savant.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is he covered in fir?

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

ha! mine was the same way. if i opened the silverware drawer w/ the intention of getting a fork or spoon, he wouldn't budge. but if my intent was to go for the can opener, he's start meowing. and i've _never_ fed him from the kind of can that needs a can opener.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I did mean that metaphorically of course, but he does weigh in at 20 pounds, fir included.

He also craves rubber bands and used dental floss, so we can't leave either one where he can get to them.

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

ow

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha yeah i know that...the opening of the citchen cabinet where the cat food is stored (and a lot of other things) is heard across 2 rooms, up to the next etage, around 2 corners ,on the couch..and that even when being half asleep....
    same with the sound of the fridge opening followed by silverware drawer sound...and of course the sound of the can opener ... i guess cats recognize that sound over hundreds of meters ...

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The wacky part is we don't have to make any "tuna noises." I've tested this. The cat is sound asleep in another room (he is a very sound sleeper). I take out the can opener and a can of soup. He snoozes on. I put a tin of tuna on the counter. Boom, at my feet. This is before I even start opening it. It's, well, uncanny.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

ow! ow ow ow!

21. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Relating your cats death to for-tell terror attacks is just plain superstitious!

Perhaps you should have tried reading the entrails.

22. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

hey, this _was_ my cat of 15 years you're talking about

23. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Sorry to hear about your cat Zim. Lets hope that lightning doesn't strike twice, but July 4th is a perfect day for an attack.

24. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

thank you

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, as of nearly 4pm WST, it appears that kitty #2 did not share the divination of it's departed sibling. Thank God...of course, dusk, in the midst of celebratory explosions might be an advantageous time, so we are not out of the woods meow...