the great hair debate

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vniow, Apr 28, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

So I've been going through a bit of hair soul-searching for a bit, mostly due to some pics I posted earlier this week with a wig I found at a friends house. If you knew me in person (or paid careful attention of the boards) you'll know that I am extremely obsessive about my hair and its a pretty decent sized part of my identity so I'm really careful when I want to go to a new style. Its naturally inbetween curly and wavy and it gets quite difficult and driving-me-insane when it gets to a certain length, which is why I've kept it relatively short for the past couple years or so.

However, I apparently didn't look bad at all with that hairstyle that that wig gave me (not to mention a couple of Bettie Page references which certainly made my day :) ) so I've been seriously debating growing it out quite a bit longer than what it is now (right to the bottom of my ears).

I think I got it right above my shoulders last time I tried, by then it got too frizzy and curly and was a general pain in the ass so if I tried it again, I'd have to be more careful on the style and products I use I suppose but I dunno.

So what does the community think, should I wait it out and try to redo something that failed before or keep a shorter style like I'm used to? Keep in mind its the cause of a lot of frustration when not maintained and the relief of just as much when it looks good so that's the reason for the current shortness, less hair, less frustration but if I can manage with a longer one...

-Ani

2. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

For a guy I'm very very particular about my hair, and as badly as I've wanted to grow mine out and try something new, I've had basically the same freakin' haircut since high school.

It'd be really easy for me to suggest trying to let it grow out, but I know damn well I wouldn't follow the advice because having hair in that awkward in-between stage sucks.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm kinda hair-bitchy.. I always want a new hair-style and try to grow into one, and then invariably end up back at (more or less) the same thing. Short and easy to manage. Right now, I want a mohawk in the WORST way. I have no idea why. Maybe because it's been nearly 20 years (has it been THAT long? GASP!) since I had one. Unfortunately, a mohawk doesn't look professional outside of the XGames or being in a band.

But I can empithize with how you feel. But hair is a really easy way to completely change one's appearence with little consequence. I say wait it out. You can always cut it short again.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I want to cut my hair as well....its way too long....talking about back length long....time for a trim.

Bless

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Though living in NC for so long.. makes me want a Mullet. Must be in the water. Seriously I'm kidding. Maybe for Halloween.

Business in the front.. Par-tay in the back!

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i have to say the wig looked good...the retro style suited you well.

I have the same problem about my hair frizzing out after it reaches a certain length. I 've used every no-frizz product under the sun to no avail....except if I kept it in a long pony tail. Finally I just chopped it short...blah.

I say find a similar retro "bettie" style that's maybe not as long to diminish the frizz. Also, the jet black color helps with the look though I'm not sure if you're into the dye job upkeep.

Or just keep it in a short easy style and invest in a few nice wigs...lotsa people do it.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm just tired of maintaining it....and besides its always in my eye when i wake up in the morning.....

Bless

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm so glad you didn't have a long ponytail then.. i may have cut it off for you! hah

i want long hair, but.

1. i hate the in between stage (who doesn't i guess?)

2. my hair is grossly wavy. so it'd have to get quite long before it'd really be good.

a couple years ago i worked on having dreadlocks for... 4 months or so. i enjoyed it and they started looking good. then i wanted short hair again. i won't rule out that i'll do it again sometime in my life, though.

i haven't been to a barber in years, and the idea of women having to pay 30+ bucks standard (and obviously that's on the very very cheap side) for a simple hair cut is crazy. i just buzz mine every so often. i've bic'd it a few times too, that's fun in the summer (go sunburn. maybe i need to hit up the tanning salon for my base cancer.. err. tan first this year)

and on that note, sorry, no advice. hah

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Just don't dye it black, it's almost guaranteed to look like ****. I need to get a haircut myself, as it's long enough to comb now. When I get it cut, it's the shortest hair on my body (well, except for eyelashes, eyebrows, and what little nose hair I have. :p). I think I might actually get it shorter this summer.

10. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Heh, I'm more likely to dye it white or grey or something before I try black again. ;) Been wanting to do that for awhile but not until I can think I can maintain it. It doesn't look it from other photos but my hair is more of a medium-to-dark brown. For some reason most of my pics seem to make it look darker. :eek:

Ugh, I hate wigs though, my natural hair by itself causes enough frustration as is. :eek:

Heh, I pay around $50 for mine every few months. And it takes over an hour usually...

11. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Yeah I do $30 every three weeks ($25 + tip). I spend more on haircuts than my wife does.:eek:

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

13. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Good gawd no, they're like butchers there! :eek:

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Ani, that's what I was gonna suggest. :eek: I don't know what it's like to have naturally culy or wavy hair and try to iron it straight. But I do know what it's like to have super duper straight hair and trying to get it to curl 'just right.' :p

If you've tried it before, and you found yourself hating it, the upkeep, the maintenance, do yourself a favor-- you know yourself the best. You know to what lengths (no pun intended) you'd be willing to go through to prep everyday; don't go long if it seems like too much work.

That said, supposedly, a fantastic cut (which means even if your hair is long) should technically be able to assist you no matter what style. Plus, up in SF there are a ton of reputable hair schools that offer incredible deals (if you let a supervised pupil style your hair). I'd do it, but they're always offered on random days and times and it's hard for me to get up there.

But then... well, it is nice to give things a try if it's been a long time. We all change and go through phases. Who knows? Maybe if you try going long again, you might actually love it? :shrug:

Sorry, I wasn't very helpful was I? Ha.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well it's easy when you get the same simple thing over and over.
    My hair-bitchy philosophy is maybe they f up the cut, but it can all be solved with hairwax. :)

MOHAWK!

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Give me a nice looking chick with soft....embracing my hair for a good cut anyday....oh yea...am i dribbling?

Bless

18. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

That's what I was thinking, just because it didn't work before doesn't mean it won't work the next time. Hair is notoriously fickle in general and often changes so what didn't look good before, may look good now. I'm sure there's products I have't tried yet, given I'm on the cheap side at the moment I have't had much of a chance to splurge on hair stuff but that should change soonish (I hope).
    You're not the first person to suggest going to a school though for a cut though. I've thought about it but I'm way too particular to actually go there and have it done, plus I like to stick with one stylist for awhile unless I move. (see, there's that obsessive part again)

I've been thinking a lot of what I would look like with a longer cut for the past few days and I *think* I could pull it off, given its done right but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :eek:

No no, you were. :)

As a side note, I was just remembering what it felt like when it was to just above my shoulders, I kinda liked the way it tickled them when I was wearing a sleveless top of some sort, heh.

-Ani

19. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I personally think you look hot as hell with long hair. It suits you. Especially when you do those seductively pouty faces.

20. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Alright, its settled then. If I have the potential to look hot with longer hair then so be it. Inbetween stages be damned.

Now, if only I can gather up a little thing called "patience" then I'm all set. :)

21. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I'm letting my hair grow out too, I like to use my bangs as a shield from the sun:cool:.

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

23. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Goog God no!:eek:

24. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I ♥ my hairdresser. She's super knowledgeable and does exactly the right thing. My natural bangs look pretty much like that wig and if I pull the rest of my hair back it looks super cute. Its stil kind of short so with the shape of it now I look kind of like a Beatle if I don't pull it back but at least it has more of one now and its not flying everywhere.

Now if I can only commit to this for a few more months. :eek:

25. zach macrumors 65816

zach

gooo grow it out ani. you know my feelings on the matter, my hair tends to get a bit long every now and then :)