The great Mac website blackout?

Discussion in 'Community' started by quagmire, Nov 17, 2004.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Thinksecret, appleinsider, macobserver, MacNN, and Macsurfer seem to be down. The only Mac websites that haven't been affected that I go to is Applenova, macrumors, and macosrumors. MR seems to on and off. One second I can't access the forums the other second I can. Anyone else that can't go to any other sites?

EDIT: Weird as the same time I posted this thread thinksecret and Appleinsider came back online.

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

3. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

The only one I've had problems with today was MacDailyNews, but they were undergoing a server upgrade I believe and it's fine now.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

MacAddict seems to be working fine, as are MacFixit, MacCentral, Macworld, MyMac, and Mac-Forums.

6. Jaz macrumors regular

Donning the tin foil hat as we speak ... they might be coming!! :p

Probably a bad DNS server or two.

7. Aaon macrumors 6502

I was having the same problem today. Very strange.

Aaron

8. Aaon macrumors 6502

Update: the following message was posted at Appleinsider.com:

"A fiber cut affecting the Virginia/D.C. area rendered appleinsider.com inaccessible for the better half of Wednesday. Mails sent to appleinsider.com during this time may not have been received. News publication will resume on Thursday. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Could this also have affected thinksecret, etc.?

Aaron

9. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

from what people have been saying the main DNS issue has to do with the latest releases of Panther.

Just because of the number of different sites affected, it seems like its more user-computer issue rather than site-server.

10. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

this particular shutdown of sites was due to a mainline severence today, which knocked out a good chunk of that area of the US for a bit. It's not necessarily where the creators of those sites live, but more where their servers are located.

And there is apparently an issue with 10.3.6 and DNS resolutions - the easiest fix is to get a DNS address or two from your service provider and manually enter those into your network settings, and for good measure, turn of IPv6 for now. This fix has worked for me on a number of computers now...