The Great State of Pennsylvania.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by alienex, Dec 1, 2006.

1. alienex macrumors regular

I was considering a move out to Johnstown, PA. I think some of you are from Pennsylvania and I was wondering if you had any insight into that area. Thank you.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, first of all, it's not a state. It's a commonwealth. :)

3. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I am more East from there, but Johnstown is famous for the flood:
    http://www.johnstownpa.com/History/hist19.html
    it has been dry for over 100 years, but one never knows...
    that area of Pensy is quite rural and seems like it would be a nice place to live if you like that, but if you are someone who like activities you may be in for a dryspell (no pun intended) they do have festivals and fairs, but on a day to day basis it can not compete with the South Eastern area or the Pittsburgh area.

4. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

- Wikipedia.org

That doesn't sound promising; however, the article does state that Johnstown is showing signs that it's economy is improving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown,_Pennsylvania

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been to Johnstown three or four times, as my adoptive mum had relatives in that area.

It's in a coal mining area and there isn't a whole lot. It's about 2 hours to Somerset and the PA Turnpike on U.S. 219 and Somerset isn't exactly big. Once there, you can get to Wheeling, WV, Pittsburgh, PA, or Hagerstown, MD fairly easily though it seems a long way to go shopping, if you need more than basics. Windber had a BMW dealership but I wouldn't count on it being there anymore.

There are small mountains and I'm sure it's scenic with snow on the ground. If you like remote areas, you'll probably enjoy it.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Having driven around central PA quite a bit, I'm pretty sure it's more like 45 minutes to Somerset and 2 hours to Pittsburgh. I've really only driven through it, but it seems like Johnstown is a lot like the rest of the small towns in central PA. Not too much there, but it's one of the bigger towns in the area.

7. tsvb macrumors 6502

I had a good friend that lived in PA, I can say that most everywhere in PA is nice. I love a good landscape and you definitely get that!

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Perhaps it is during good weather. Every time I go that way, it's been bad.

9. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

I hope you don't like good beer or wine. The state stores in PA have the worst selections - but don't worry, it's expensive too! You have to buy beer by the case, unless you carry it out of the bar - at bar prices.

Otherwise PA is actually a pretty good place to live. I don't know about Johnstown. Isn't that where they filmed 'Slapshot?'

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

But Johnstown is close enough to Latrobe that you could probably run your own pipeline from Rolling Rock's brewery to your house.

And yes, Slap Shot was filmed in Johnstown.

11. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

they are closing the brewery, Anheuser-Busch bought them:(

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ah yes...I'd forgotten about that. Looks like some Milwaukee folks have purchased the brewery though, so maybe there will be some good suds flowing out of there again sometime soon.

13. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I've made a couple of trips to play the Pitt-Johnstown club hockey team. While I may be a little biased, we always viewed the area as let's say, one of our least favorite places to go to. As others have stated their isn't much there. And while I'm sure there are nice areas too, most of the surroundings seemed less than stellar. But hey, it's probably cheap to live there. It was where we picked up some brochures on the http://theformalsportsman.com/

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread, too... :eek:

15. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

good luck with that. sorry but Johnstown is not very fun. Pitt Johnstown is good for getting wasted at...I guess.

other than that....no clue what you would do there....aim for State College, or Philly, or even the burgh.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

But I bet you'll never be far from a Yuengling.

Which makes me absurdly jealous, even if the beer snobs don't like the best lager ever.

*wanders off in search of Mich Lite, fondly remembering Yuengling filled days in Scranton*

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I drove a keg down to my sisters wedding in Tennessee. It was the first thing gone.

And Rolling Rock isn't really beer. :)

Johnstown is in a pretty area, great hunting, fishing. 1.5 hours to Pittsburgh.

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

One more funny thing.

The group "The Bloodhound Gang" wrote a song that as a promotional gimick they were trying to get made into the official state song of Pennsylvania.

its at
    http://www.bloodhoundgang.com/mp3/full/pennsylvania.mp3

careful, some of the lyrics are raunchy.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It would seem that Scranton is almost as much fun as Johnstown. :eek:

For a commonwealth with so many Germans, how is it that there are so many bad brands of beer?

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Stick to Pittsburgh or the east. Johnstown has buggerall going for it these days.

21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Except that Scranton is slowly sinking back into the earth, so you can always imagine you're on the leading edge of some sort of anti-rapture.

With Yuengling. ;)

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Bad brands of beer everywhere. Yuengling on the other hand is good beer. Bad beer persists because its cheap. Yuengling oddly enough is moderately priced good beer.

At the Ren-Faire a couple of weeks ago I heard someone say "Porter or Stout, anything else is for women."

Yuengling Porter is excellent.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Let me warn everyone. Scranton isn't nearly as glamourous as "The Office" makes it out to be.

Speaking of sinking into the Earth there is Centralia...

24. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

And let's not forget the world's largest pothole just "up the Eynon."

Anyway, back to making this into a Yuenling tribute thread!

[​IMG]

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I drive through Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on my way to and from real cities.