Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Probably a silly questions, but how do I know if a current watch band (non-Apple Watch) I own will work with some of these adapters? Are all the "pin" holes the same size?

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
The nylon bands feel a little stiff, but I think that's their nature because they are made to be durable. I'm sure they'll loosen up a little. I slowly bend/curve my new bands with my hands before wearing them so that they fit comfortably around my wrist.

Yes, I don't think you would need to take the adapters off to do any sort of cleaning. I actually took a shower with the black nylon strap after I went paddle boarding at the lake with the watch on. I've had no problem with the apple watch getting wet so far. The band had no issues either. I did take the bands off of the watch and towel dried the adapters just in case to make sure the screws don't rust.

All of the bands were on correctly. I've bought other bands and adapters separately before, and it was nice to be able to put them on right out of the box.

I'll take pics when I get home tonight of the other side of the straps. They haven't been a problem for me because you can lay them down flat against the strap so that they don't stick out. I have small wrists so there is a little extra strap and I'm thinking about cutting it and then using my torch to burn the edges a little.

Sorry for taking so long. Here are the pics, I cut some of the extra strap and burned the edges so that it won't fray. I really like this strap!

IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0768.JPG

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks for the post. These look cool, especially the nylon ones. Do you like the lug/adapter build quality? Are they a perfect fit with your sport? I'm guessing they use screws, not spring bars.

Sorry, I almost overlooked your post. I think the lugs are good, I don't foresee any problems. They fit my sport perfectly, but they aren't a perfect match. I don't know if there are lugs out there that will match the sport. I though it would bother me but it doesn't, it's unnoticeable. Yes, they use phillips screws.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Sorry for taking so long. Here are the pics, I cut some of the extra strap and burned the edges so that it won't fray. I really like this strap!

View attachment 564921 View attachment 564922

Thanks again. Looks sharp on you. With the middle of your wrist situated with the strap portion, and the buckles and keepers to the left and right of the middle, I like that when you have your hand laying on a table that it will rest on the strap and not the metal parts. Photos were helpful.

The buckle and keepers blend in nicely with your aluminum watch body BTW. I don't really notice the adapters either. Maybe one day we'll see ones made to exactly match the watches but who has the patience! Having fun with my bands.

Last edited:

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Sorry, I almost overlooked your post. I think the lugs are good, I don't foresee any problems. They fit my sport perfectly, but they aren't a perfect match. I don't know if there are lugs out there that will match the sport. I though it would bother me but it doesn't, it's unnoticeable. Yes, they use phillips screws.

No problem. Your posts convinced me to give these guys my first third-party order, despite wanting to wait for official Made For Apple Watch-approved straps. The looks and amazing sale price were too much to resist. I ordered the same black/silver strap you have over the weekend. You did a good job on the cut/torch modification. I have small wrists too and will probably end up performing the same minor surgery. My toughest choice was between their navy blue and the black/silver option.

laurenashley

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Bloomington, IN
So I love the look of the nylon bands, but the only ones I can find that are in two pieces are dark colors. I already have a black sport band so I don't want another dark or black band. I might settle for navy. I want something bright since all of mine are neutral. I really like the Monowear pink:
nylon_pink_steel_c.jpg
but I feel that their price isn't reasonable. I also like the turquoise, but again I'm not crazy about the price tag since other nylon straps are around $20. Should I just wait for more bands to come out or try to convert a one piece to two? I know it is possible but I'm afraid it won't look good enough to put on my watch.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
So I love the look of the nylon bands, but the only ones I can find that are in two pieces are dark colors. I already have a black sport band so I don't want another dark or black band. I might settle for navy. I want something bright since all of mine are neutral. I really like the Monowear pink:
nylon_pink_steel_c.jpg
but I feel that their price isn't reasonable. I also like the turquoise, but again I'm not crazy about the price tag since other nylon straps are around $20. Should I just wait for more bands to come out or try to convert a one piece to two? I know it is possible but I'm afraid it won't look good enough to put on my watch.

My guess is, and it's just a guess, that you can find a two-piece nylon strap you like if you keep looking. I agree the Monowear nylons are a little higher priced than they should be. Converting a one piece sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Of course, by the fall, there will probably be a nutso amount of bands to choose from. The watch strap is the new iPhone case.

laurenashley

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Bloomington, IN
My guess is, and it's just a guess, that you can find a two-piece nylon strap you like if you keep looking. I agree the Monowear nylons are a little higher priced than they should be. Converting a one piece sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Of course, by the fall, there will probably be a nutso amount of bands to choose from. The watch strap is the new iPhone case.
Yeah I've been googling all morning trying to find something and for some reason when I use two piece as keywords it sill pulls up one pieces! The closest I found was a black and pink striped but I'm not a fan of that color combo.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Yeah I've been googling all morning trying to find something and for some reason when I use two piece as keywords it sill pulls up one pieces! The closest I found was a black and pink striped but I'm not a fan of that color combo.

Yeah, not much in way of a girly colored strap in nylon especially in a 2-piece. Sure now that band manufacturers are seeing the interest from Apple female watch wearers that will be changing soon.

Last edited:

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles

It's definitely a challenge. It's just maddening to think the band you want has gotta be out there on some corner of the globe or (shockingly) at a watch store locally (if you already have adapters), since Apple didn't invent the watch strap. I ordered a nylon combo from clockwork synergy over the weekend and broke my rule of waiting for the made for apple watch certified adapters and bands to hit the market.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I broke down and just ordered a black nylon zulu 2-piece strap with black PVD rings from this seller for $15. They say they have supply and ships out of Brooklyn NY and I should have this week. Plan to use with my SS AW with silver lugs. Kind of liked the idea of an all black looking band that was more sport quality. I have the white sport band but not the black and needed something to fill that need. Really tempted to order the James Bond striped band instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HNS-2-Piece...LU-Watch-Strap-With-3-PVD-Rings-/111700093772

BTW if anyone decides to go this route make sure when you pay with paypal you *leave a note as to which size band you need* in the message area to avoid being sent a 20mm band.

Update: just checked email and this company has already sent for shipping. Went the free ship route by first class mail and received tracking info for it. ETA: Wed. 7/1. Their emails says they are Hello, natostrap, est. 2010 NY (ebay comeintostyle).

Last edited:
Reactions: AlliFlowers

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Getting closer to a girly nato/zulu-style military strap. 2-piece Pink and black stripe with traditional buckle and fabric keeper instead of the rings. Probably the one mentioned a few posts above. Only 20mm though but would fit on a 38mm watch adapter (20mm lug width) from Utica guy* and I think would look great on SS or Aluminum 38mm.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/10882553/black-pink-stripe-20mm-2-piece?gps=1&id=81021330019

* http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Apple-W...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3f4d2f3228

The monowear hot pink band above is a nice color. Looks nice with the black face and silver colored watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Javabird

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
No problem. Your posts convinced me to give these guys my first third-party order, despite wanting to wait for official Made For Apple Watch-approved straps. The looks and amazing sale price were too much to resist. I ordered the same black/silver strap you have over the weekend. You did a good job on the cut/torch modification. I have small wrists too and will probably end up performing the same minor surgery. My toughest choice was between their navy blue and the black/silver option.

Glad I could help. I wasn't too sure at first how the black/silver strap would turn out, but now it has become my go to band.

"Surgery" :) that made me laugh. Do a cut test at the end of the strap first, then cut it to your preferred length once you are comfortable. I wouldn't try to make a round cut, I don't think it will come out very well. I cut it straight and then cut it at a 45 angle from the sides. It doesn't look perfect up close, but you can't tell from normal viewing distance.

Reactions: ReardenMetal

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Reactions: Jmona

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Ok...really liked this one, too. And being weak as I am...ordered it.

Getting closer to a girly nato/zulu-style military strap. 2-piece Pink and black stripe with traditional buckle and fabric keeper instead of the rings. Probably the one mentioned a few posts above. Only 20mm though but would fit on a 38mm watch adapter (20mm lug width) from Utica guy* and I think would look great on SS or Aluminum 38mm.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/10882553/black-pink-stripe-20mm-2-piece?gps=1&id=81021330019

sdallnct2

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
My newest band, that someone else had posted,

It is stiff, but should loosen. I like the look and for $25 thought a good deal. Only problem is it is made for a big wrist. I have to put it on the tightest setting.

The silicon MK band I put next to it show the holes is still, by far the most comfortable I have. But I have one more set of adapters coming, then going to get a nice leather and be done for a bit....maybe :)

Jeremy3292

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
If anyone is looking for a Hoco 5 bead 42mm band I have one for sale. Ship fast from the USA. Send me a message if interested.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Probably a silly questions, but how do I know if a current watch band (non-Apple Watch) I own will work with some of these adapters? Are all the "pin" holes the same size?

Not silly at all. I think since wearing a watch is a new experience for many, plenty of people are probably wondering that too.

I can tell you that you'll need to know how wide in mm's your current band is first off. Then you need to find an adapter that you like for your watch. The only spring pin adapters that I have bought are from ebay/freedomoclock09 "utica guy". On his ebay listing page you can see a photo of his measurements for the width between the lugs (24mm for the 42mm adapter; 20mm for the 38mm adapter). Not sure if this is standard among Apple pin adapters or not.

As for the pins to fit, pins do come in different measurements but I think any adapter you order will come with pins to fit it. I know Utica guy's do. If you lost one of them or one got bent, he might be able to send you another or there are watch places that sell the pins. They do come in different lengths and thickness and even styles but that is beyond my watch knowledge. Bands also BTW come with pin holes of different diameters. My red silicon band fits on my spring pin adapter but is a difficult fit on the classic tubular ones which are of a larger diameter than the pin.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Not silly at all. I think since wearing a watch is a new experience for many, plenty of people are probably wondering that too.

I can tell you that you'll need to know how wide in mm's your current band is first off. Then you need to find an adapter that you like for your watch. The only spring pin adapters that I have bought are from ebay/freedomoclock09 "utica guy". On his ebay listing page you can see a photo of his measurements for the width between the lugs (24mm for the 42mm adapter; 20mm for the 38mm adapter). Not sure if this is standard among Apple pin adapters or not.

As for the pins to fit, pins do come in different measurements but I think any adapter you order will come with pins to fit it. I know Utica guy's do. If you lost one of them or one got bent, he might be able to send you another or there are watch places that sell the pins. They do come in different lengths and thickness and even styles but that is beyond my watch knowledge. Bands also BTW come with pin holes of different diameters. My red silicon band fits on my spring pin adapter but is a difficult fit on the classic tubular ones which are of a larger diameter than the pin.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.