The great Xbox 360 E3 hoax

Discussion in 'Games' started by Uma888, May 19, 2005.

1. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2005
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    19/05/05 03:52]
    People think they're sampling Xbox 360, but they're not – can you guess what they're really playing?

Entering the Microsoft E3 stand is a wonderful experience – green and full of Xbox 360 activity. Activity we will be covering with some kind of ninja passion over the next few days – and you won't want to miss any of it, regardless of what PlayStation 3 fanboys are telling you on web forums.

However, all is not as it seems.

Despite the reassuring presence of an actual Xbox 360 unit locked away in a visible compartment in the demo stations, and despite the games being playable using an Xbox 360 pad, it's not an Xbox 360 people are playing.

Poking our noses around the side of the demo station and peering through the vaguely camouflaging air grills revealed the shocking truth: behind the Xbox 360 unit sat two Apple G5 computers.

So, are alpha-stage Xbox 360 games really so powerful they need a combined effort from two G5 machines to properly run Xbox 360 software? Quite possibly.

And, we were told by a man demoing Kameo that the game was only running at 30% of Xbox 360's capacity! Kameo featured pleasantly detailed next-gen graphics and, more impressively, hundreds of on-screen characters, all displaying individual AI routines – all at 30%.

It takes two Apple G5s to power a 30% capacity Xbox 360 demo? This may well be the case and if it's true then this console's only just started – this is just the beginning. Its games, once developers have sat down and spent a decent amount of time with full development kits, will just get better and better.

So, it seems there are a few more rounds to fight in the PS3 vs Xbox 360 match-up before the winner can lift up its gloves with any true confidence after all.

Taken from : Gamesradar
  2. minimax macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005
    eehh isnt this info already known? (ok not for the two powermacs part)
    anyways, watch the third dog take the catch. It's not only about raw processing power. People that use macs should know this already :rolleyes:
  3. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    I don't doubt it takes 2 Power Macs to run an Xbox 360 game. If I were to do serious gaming, I'd get a console. Not a custom built PC, and certainly not a Mac. A console is designed for gaming, period. That's what it does, and it's all it'll ever do. And it'll do it way better than any computer out there.

I love my Mac. I sometimes play with the UT2004 demo I have just to blow up stuff. But I think this is the first Microsoft product that has me really feeling the techno-lust!
  4. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    1) its been said roughly better than 1/3 so slightly over 33.3333333%
    2) ive got pictures of the kiosks there are 2 g5's 1 running one display and on the other side theres another demo so 1 g5 is 33% according to there numbers
    3) it was confirmed on a site thayt the alpha g5 dev kits are running current generation gpu's not the r520 that will be remedied with the up and coming beta dev kit then final dev in july
    but that is assuming they are using alpha dev kits but M$ already said they are
    that means a performance boost will happen and lets not forget the original news about g5's for M$ ...
    the alpha kits are dual 2.0ghz
  5. minimax macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2005