The Greatest Democracy in the World

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 20, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/markosmoulitsas/story/0,15139,1331610,00.html

Sounds like it's going well...

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, we know the electoral system in the US is a disgrace. But what is an even bigger disgrace is the unwillingness of those in power to take the measures necessary to fix it. Apparently the 2000 election debacle wasn't warning enough. I would like to hear Kerry say that if he's elected that we'll never have to suffer through another agonizing national election like 2000.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oh, for some reason I thought we were going to be talking about Switzerland...my mistake. Carry on...

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As far as the idiots trashing the votes, they're local :rolleyes:

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow, some people just really love to cheat. don't they care what their own mothers think of them?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe that's where they learned it.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was watching MSNBC earlier, and there were 2 reps from FL. 1 a Democrat, the other a Republican. The Republican was complaining of voter fraud, saying people trying to do the early voting couldn't get in past Kerry supporters if they said they supported Bush. The Democrat said he was there, and didn't see problems from either group, but there were some computer issues. It was working fine in NV at their little kiosks, but apparently FL still can't get it right, no matter who you believe. Though it was pretty funny when the Republican was pressed about the issue. Why weren't the police called, and why isn't it being reported, despite reporters being everywhere (especially in FL).? Just saying, is all.

This is only going to get worse before it gets better. Prepare for a lot of ugliness. From both sides.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Here in my own Lancaster County, a true one party (GOP) system thrives, in all its impune glory.

Last week, as a Pennsylvania judge prepared to rule on whether or not Ralph Nader could appear on the ballot, it became clear that a ruling was imminent and it likely wouldn't favor Nader.

The Pennsylvania state election authorities had advised all county officials to hold off printing and mailing absentee ballots until the ruling came down.

Mere hours before the ruling, the Lancaster County GOP controlled commission rushed thousands of Nader-laden absentee ballots to the mailbox.

They claim innocence and said they couldn't continue to wait for a ruling and they didn't trust the consensus that a ruling was imminent. Lancaster County taxpayers will pay thousands of dollars to pay for the mailing of replacement ballots, and the perpetrators will never be held accountable.