The greatest PS2 mod ever

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mastif, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Mastif macrumors newbie

It's pretty obvious that I'm a perfectionist, for example, take picture number one; the duct-taping is impecable. Also the tape on the disc-drive had to be placed at exactly 84° for that authentic look.

[​IMG]

Then we have image number two. In order to mantain an optimum core temperature of 63°C I have cut carefully measured airholes with a soldering iron which, luckily, had exactly the right diameter for the holes. One key point with any device like this is safety. In order to pass rigerous safety tests more duct-tape had to be applied to the edges of the disc slot.

[​IMG]

As above the temperature of this system was important. Therefore I did away with the old circular fan hole and replaced with this, soldering iron cut, abstract ventillation shaft. In order to maximize user-friendliness the buttons now have a malleable mount to allow the user to adjust the button's angles for his pressing pleasure.

[​IMG]

Being such a highly skilled graphic designer i took it upon me to redesign the, frankly embarissing,playstation 2 logo. My version appeals more to the younger audience due to the use of soft edges. Also the paint colour used for the main body is 'Games Workshop; Bood Angels Red'. This was chosen for it's 'go faster' qualities which actually make the 'emotion engine' within the PS2 run at speeds excessing 3.4ghz.

[​IMG]

Here the paint has been aplied evenly to both internal and external components. This was to add consistency. One area wher the paint has not been applied is on some parts of the fan blades. Now, at first, one might think this is because of things getting in the way of the spray paint, but this is not true. The reason for this slight absence of paint is to create an optical illusion when the fan is in motion. This adds a touch of class to an already classy product.

[​IMG]

Notice how the power and reset buttons have been left as the generic PS2 charcoal, this takes advantage of the human eyes natural ability to detect contrasting colours.

[​IMG]

This is a limited designer edition with only one ever produced in the world. Unfortunately Sony Puritans broke into my secret underground laborartory, sabotaging the project and all original sketches .

2. brap macrumors 68000

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Genius! :D

One question though: does it still work?

5. Mastif thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, unfortunately, as I said, the PS2 is no more. It was destroyed by evil men but to answer your questions yes it did work. One of the reasons it was destroyed was it's overheating issues. These seem to have been caused by a slight technical error in the positioning of the fan.

6. Mark James macrumors regular

That's Tupperwaretastic.

Jonathan Ives must be bricking it.

7. superkatalog macrumors regular

8. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Awwww! The power of duct tape and tupperware!

Iggy :)

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I suddenly feel the need to go and hug my PS2 and sing gently to it..

11. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ha ha. nice one. :D

i agree, next you need to go after the XBox. :D