The Greatest Thread Ever???

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Which thread was the greatest thread ever, two thread the "Poop" Thread and "Have you ever been drunk thread" Had over 1000 posts, can you think of any other huge, or great threads?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Personally, I've never enjoyed a thread more than the geek thread.

It might not have had a lot of substance, but it had a lot of humor, which is good enough for me :).

scem0

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

nice. very nice.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I vote for any of the photography threads. It's awesome gettin' to see what others shoot, and others seeing what I shoot. Everyone's helpful, and gives tips for makin' your shots better. Its a great thread.

6. jzieske macrumors regular

I have to agree. I would like if more people were involved, just to see what more people are doing. I will hopefully be posting some pics soon.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's a good one Doctor Q, the ever present sense of humor. ;)

My votes also would be for the "Poop Thread," "Have You Ever Been Drunk Thread," "Geek Thread," & "Photography Thread."

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I take it you like lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng threads best, wdlove.

For short threads, I like the ones where somebody asks a technical question and other members come to their rescue with the answers they need. There are hundreds of examples, but here's a sample.

9. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

LOL thanks for nominating my thread Doctor Q. It always makes me proud to see so many users helping out people with computer problems, and there is so much knowledge offered here, those threads are top notch.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

um, that would be the spam threads?

I don't know if there has been any one thread that stands out - the geek thread got wastelanded (for obvious reasons), the drunk thread has been closed more than once and will probably end up in the wasteland eventually. All of the really long threads are basically crap - there's too much information and a lot of useless posting.

If you went back and read any of those threads, they'd get a little tedious after a bit. For a thread to be 'great' it has to stand out for more than just the number of posts it has.

For me, some of the astronomy threads have been great and an occasional iGav submission that's just been plain weird :D

D

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'll still defend the geek thread with your definition. Yes, it had short, often pointless posts, and I wouldn't want to read it all again - once was enough for me - but along its wavering path it contained the original question on defining a geek, geek news, geek jokes, geek games, news stories of interest to geeks, and a committee-based attempt to invent a geek journal of some kind. On that basis, I believe it "stood out" and could be considered a great (albeit failed) experiment.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

My vote goes to the Drunkie & Poop Threads...not so much because they were both started by yours truly, but because they both broke ground in their topics of discussion for geeks.

(convincing enough? :D)

14. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I think its just scary that people were able to remember what they posted 300 to 400 posts ago in some of those threads, and that others and read all 20 pages! :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

If Macrumors is a huge sprawl of spooky tree, then I think I just nibble on the fresh greenery. I really can't be dealing with 1000 post threads late on in the growth of things, so I'll be avoiding the deadwood unless I'm in need of some well buried tech-no know how.

does that sound normal?

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I prefer the thread that has made me an official of a soon-to-be major world power :D

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

18. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

You would have prefered the wars when Kela, Spikey and John123 were at it. Anarchic, funny, obscenely rude, one giant ****fest, two Brits Vs a Yank. As The Jam once said, 'thats entertainment'.

Cannot find the threads anymore.

19. neut macrumors 68000

neut

ouch! please be kind to the drunk thread... it's got a hangover. :p

my personal favorite is the photo thread (threads I–X). :) lots of great (and not so great) phtography and tons of tips and tricks from cameras to photoshop. though it does take a while to read... you just gotta stay on top of it.

i actually don't like forums at all, but i've found a few threads here at macrumors that i can't help but be a part of. it's like a family here... and not too many elitists either. ;)

peace.

20. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

21. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Sounds ridiculous, but I enjoy the desktop threads. :)

22. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

I love 'em too.

23. neut macrumors 68000

neut

What the ... ???

It's been over a year for this thread! :confused:

The greatest thread ever? Still the the photo thread ... :p

Though that Members pic thread is pretty cool; it's nice to see people when you talk to them. :)

peace | neut

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I second that! A really funny thread.