"The greatest threat before humanity today..."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    I call bull****.

There are plenty of issues facing humanity today that will do us more harm in the long run than the need to consolidate nuclear power in the hands of a few powerful nations.

Our continuing dependence on oil as fuel, which by current projections will disappear in 100 years, and we have no realistic plan for a transition to a different source of energy is one.

Or the ever-present issue of third world underdevelopment and starvation, perhaps?

How about the acceleration of environmental collapse brought on by the continued use of greenhouse-gas producing matierials as our main source of energy?

The first and third issues will kill humanity more surely than an errant nuclear weapon (as much as that would suck). I believe the second issue is far more important than keeping Iran from building the bomb. Bush is simply trying to deflect the public from his ****ty presidency and scare the nation into re-electing his sorry ass.

And I particulary love this quote:
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    you forgot Asteroids, it will only take one rock. Looks like Bush has forgotten this.
  3. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Just more scare-mongering by Bush to suit his own purposes.

I think that this is a far greater danger:

Worst case scenario is that Norrth America could be under ice in as little as 5 years, thanks to global warming and ice melting.

Strange paradox huh.
  4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    I would disagree with you Thanatoast. I think Bush is right that the greatest threat does indeed come from WMDs. However, the existence of the stockpiles of nuclear warheads in the hands of the US and Russians are the gravest threat to humanity. It is only these two nations that have the capacity to destroy life on the entire planet. Any legitimate discussion on the need to stop the proliferation of nuclear weapons (something sorely needed) must include these weapons.
  5. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
  6. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    A chemical weapon attack would be really bad.

A nuclear weapon attack would be disastrous.

A biological attack could be catastrophic. The Spanish Flu claimed 20 million worldwide, and it wasn't even "engineered"... Who knows what some lab somewhere might create? Or already have?

The "greatest threat" depends on your point of view, I guess.