The Grudge

Discussion in 'Community' started by iAmAzN, Oct 25, 2004.

1. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

has anyone seen it yet? What are your thoughts? I am deciding if i should go see it with friends or not.. dont want to waste $7 on a movie (yes im cheap :) )

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen it, but apparently everyone else has ... it raked in $40 mil this weekend! Apparently Sony (?) was expecting only half this much.

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

girl i know said it was "hecka" scary and that guys were screaming... iono thought it might be a good one to bring b/f g/f too.

4. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

In the preview SMG had a Butt l0oking thing coming out of the back of her head (yes hand what ever) It made me giggle cherry coke out my nose.. Im definatley going to see this, if anything, just to mock it on my web site :p

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It was decent. Not as scary as "The Ring" in my opinion but still pretty scary. I'm still recovering but only when I'm trying to go to sleep... :)

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, I know a kid at school who went with his girlfriend, and he said he screamed almost as much as she did. I'm thinking about going with the g/f and some friends this Friday to see it... If all that works out, I'll let you all know how it was. And yea, The Ring is still the scariest movie I've ever seen... I saw it in the theatre in the winter, and I was practically hiding in my coat I was so terrified. Have any of you seen the preview for the Ring 2? Looks just as good as the first, maybe better. This was kinda expected though, I guess, since it's already a trilogy in Japan. I hope they 'port' all three! :D

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I've seen the Japanese version of The Ring 2 (Ringu 2) and it was horrid. The Japanese verion of The Ring (Ringu) was actually quite on par with the U.S. version in terms of quality and scariness (yes I know the Japanese ones were made first). After watching Ringu 2 I couldn't bear to watch Ringu 0 (which is the 3rd movie but a prequel to Ringu). Then I loaned the Japanese ones out and never got 'em back. Bummer. I'm really hoping the U.S. version of Ringu 2 diverges from the original.

8. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

My best friend saw Ju-On (The Grudge) in Japan when it came out about 2 years ago. She said it scared the hell outta her. So she bought Juon and Juon 2 last summer after tehy had come out on DVD and we watched them both. I didn't find them too frightening, but I could see how they would scare you pretty bad if you were in Japan at the time, haha. When she saw them the second time with me she wasn't scared at all, so it was kind of weird. We were both really bumed to see that Sarah Michelle Gellar was in the remake... but we decided to see it on saturday anyway. I was more scared watching the english remake than I was of the original. I think that was because it was quite loud and on the big screen though. It wasn't as good as the Japanese version IMHO. The Japanese one (at least the first one) was pretty damn creepy. Maybe you should go rent the Japnese one (or two) instead. I completely understand not wanting to spend $7, tahts not being cheap. Good luck with your decision :D hope maybe I shed some insight.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I thought the Japanese version of Ring was better than the remake, especially in the bits that they changed from the original.

Why are all the good movies "ported" over to America for a remake? Why not just come up with their own ideas? Oh wait.....

I heard that they were remaking Infernal Affairs (a Cantonese movie) with Leonardo DiCaprio with one of the 2 lead roles. I think I'm going to cry.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That's too bad. I would have seen Internal Affairs if it came out in theaters here (or at least rented/bought it). It's rather unfortunate that the U.S. as a whole seems to feel that they shouldn't have to read subtitles and/or there has to be an actor/actress in the movie that they know. I usually view movies based on the story line and not anything else. There are certain movies that may have a good story line and bad actors that I won't see. Subtitles is never a deterrent.

I think we've spoiled ourselves and in America, once you've been given anything it's really hard to take it away.

11. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Sorry guys, but that movie was hilarious. hilariously scary! I saw it with all of my friends and crap, hahahah lets just say i kept my computer monitors on! Some people say it is utter crap but i really do strongly disagree.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. I think that, in many ways, seeing films with unknown actors (with or without subtitles - just not dubbed) makes it a lot easier to immerse yourself. Movie stars are beautiful people, but I can almost never forget that it's an actor I'm watching in those cases.

Plus, of course, foreign films often have better plots (at least the ones that make it over to here), and can't be counted on to have the stereotypical happy ending common to 90% of American films.

Of course, people don't go to see The Grudge (original or remade version) to dissect the plot. ;)

13. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

The Grudge is rated PG-13 isn't it? I'm still going to see it-- that freaky kid in the commercials has sucked me in.

The movie I can't wait to be scared s***less by is Saw. That looks f'n scary.

14. iGav macrumors G3

it's not... it is very original though and a great film all the same.

15. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Really? Oh well. :(

16. iGav macrumors G3

it's a really good film though... ;) it's just not scary as such, it's more suggestive as opposed to being all out gore and shocks, and I think it's better for that.

do go watch it though... best horror/thriller film I've seen in awhile, The Ring included! ;)

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Seeing as how I'm in a foreign country and I live in residence (ie: a bubble where we don't know anything going on in the world), what exactly is "The Grudge"? Is it that Japanese movie where .....

(spoiler)

dead people crawl around on the ceiling and in the floorboards and such? Heard that one was scary as f***. :eek:

18. Mantat macrumors 6502a

First of all, my comment of the grudge: entertaining, good realisation but poor plot and easy ending. Nothing compared to The Ring.

To all people who think that movie outside USA are more 'intellectual challenging': you are right! US movies are targeted for individual with an intellectual age of 12! Actually, anything on tv and most newspaper assume that the 'watcher' is a kid.

Its sad but its the only way for them to make money. Movies who are 'intelligent' rarely make huge profits, so in the eyes of the investors, its better to fund a movie for 'the mass'.

Independant movie maker have to target specific market if they want to make profits and they tend to target a more mature audience. This is why foreign & independant movies tend to be more original and intelligent.

19. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

looks rather trite, judging by the official site. However, i'll bet it still scares me to death ;)