The Guardian predicts doom for Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Kernow, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Kernow macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    This is so 1999.

As stubborn as a jackass that Jobs is, I really think he has learned lessons from Apple's past failures.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I wish Jobs would finally put out a press release predicting doom for The Guardian.
  4. commonpeople macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2004
    The article wasn't that bad. It's surely reasonable to wonder whether Apple can get much further whilst holding on to proprietory standards. Apple really needs to open-up its OS to a much larger extent.
  5. Project macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    I read this in the actual paper last Thursday. Its points were logical, but it made it seem like Apple is indeed facing impending doom if it doesnt open up shop. Just one persons opinion yes, but I think the situation cant be compared to the likes of the Cube or the Newton, both of which never had the same level of success and recognition the iPod does now.
  6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Well, duh!
    That's not why the Cube got discontinued - it got discontinued because not enough people bought it (if you needed something cheap, get an iMac. If you need summat fast, get a full PowerMac. Few people saw the Cube as an advantage to the other 2). To prove my point, you can run a 1.2Ghz proc in the Cube without a fan

Also, the Newt was discontinued before competition really existed - yet another example of Apple so far ahead that no-one wanted it
  7. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    Who cares

Who cares what The Guardian has to say it is fringe left-wing rag only good for wiping your ass or house training a puppy. Come on people why waste your precious time reading it or any other fringe publication.
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    The Guardian rules all comers. ;)
  9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    The Grauniad has a terrible technology section Jack Schofield is a ejieet,there is a guy that does the networking column in the financial section who is good though.You think the Grauniad is left wing,liberal certainly but hardly left wing.A paper which sells around half a million copies a day and whose influence far outways it size is hardly fringe.Makes me wonder just how right wing the US media is if the Grauniad is seen as left wing.
  10. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Not so much right wing as sheepishly compliant.
  11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I think there is a significant difference between the ipod and current Apple tech and the Apple Tech of yesteryear.

iPod/iTunes/ITMS has more than struck the right chord, and Apple is more than an icon in this business now. The original Mac and Newton were ahead of their times in many ways. iPods were made specifically for NOW. That will make the difference in the end. And as long as Apple keeps innovating, they be fine.