The guy at the gym™.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Feb 28, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    So recently I have been very good about waking up at the crack of dawn (4:30) and going to the gym for a workout, steam bath etc. to try and get back into marathoning shape.

Aside form the getting up part, I enjoy it. But there's the Gym Guy™.

I was just getting out of the steam room and I saw him come into the locker room. I was like God damn I rush to shave, brush my teeth and get dressed. Then I hear his shower turn off.

So I stuff everything into my gym bag, my shirt is untucked, ipod hanging around my neck, no belt...and he nails me - "hey how are you today?" I wasn't even fracking looking at him.

He's the guy who HAS to talk to everyone, but eveyrthing he says is, well, either boring or just stupid. Even if you have your back turned to him he asks "You want a joke to tell the guys at the office?" (her de herr herr).

Today's was: "What is invisible and smells like carrots?"

"Easter Bunny farts."

So I got home all disheviled and Rob was like "Why didn't you dress?"

"I had to run away from the Gym Guy™."

It's so funny to watch everyone in the locker room evacuate when he comes in and see who the day's victim is. Today it was me.

Do you know anyone that makes you want to hide when you see them to avoid engaging them in conversation? This guy can clear a room like a dead body.
  2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005

This one guy at the gym I go to always talks to me. Weird. :confused: :eek:
  3. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    LOL! That's hilarious. "The Gym Guy" hahah

There was this guy in one of my french classes that was pretty much like that, only he didn't have random jokes. He was just creepy.

I remember the first few weeks of class, when everyone began to get a sense of everyone else. Just about *every* girl in the class slowly migrated further and further from this dude as each day went on. Eventually, all the girls were in the very front row.

One day I walked out of class, and I realized that not only was I the first one out, but "the creepy dude" was following me, and I knew he was going to start talking about stupid stuff. I heard him just begin to say a word, when I say to my self "Dang! Forgot my pencil!" as I turned around and rushed back to class.

When I got there, there was a line of girls inside the door, who apparently were waiting for him to leave, and saw what of them says "Nice move!"

Some people just need to be avoided I suppose :p
  4. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I tried so hard, too.

I heard the shower turn off and I was like DAMN!!!

People were literally running out of the locker room.
  5. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    Well crap, I feel that way about almost everyone;)
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I don't go to a gym but I have equivalent Uni People™. :eek:
  7. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    My boss.
  8. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    A few friends and I go and do Body Pump a couple of times a week and there's one guy there that fits your description. While he doesn't tell lame jokes, he comes over and talks about nothing but Body Pump - the songs, which workout is hardest, what future program released will bring. It's all he talks about. He tries to be everyone's best friend, but everyone tries to escape him. :eek: The other thing that's funny about him is that throughout the class he'll sing along REALLY loudly (and out of key) to all of his favourite songs - it's quite humourous. :D
  9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    HEY! i use to hang out with the gym guy.....he was cool in a annoying type way:confused: we always got a joke out of him Mainly because the jokes was on him but who am I:D

10. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Funny story. I thought the worst part was the whole "4:30" part. And the "gym" part. I had to get up in time to be to work by 8:00 today, and man is it killing me.

Seriously though, thats a funny story, especially because I just got caught at the coffee machine at work by "that guy" and couldnt get away quick enough. There must be an aweful lot of "gym guys" out there.
  11. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2003
    Omicron Persei 8
    Aww I feel sorry for the Gym Guy:eek:.

Maybe he is just trying to make friends and that is why he is being friendly?
  12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    iGary, you need to catch him off guard. Invite him over to your place for dinner and a movie. :p
  13. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    He just has to talk to everyone.

He's kind of sad - he comes in, slumps over the Stairmaster for half an hour, and then leaves - err - bothers people for a half-hour, and THEN leaves.

Course' I shouldn't talk. I was 240 when I went back after a back injury. :eek:
  14. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Fire with fire. Make funny clicking noises and mumble random things at inappropriate times. I guarantee he won't bother you again. :p
  15. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    If I say no, does that make me That Guy™?:eek: :D
  16. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Ok... I'll go ahead and bite.

I feel sorry for the guy. It sounds like he has low self esteem and is looking for acceptance. This probably the guy that got picked last for kickball as a kid. He's probably trying to overcompensate and be friendly in an attempt to make friends.

Perhaps you should make the time to talk to him. I'm not saying invite him over for a movie, but just a few minutes of talking may go a long way.

You never know how being nice to someone that seems insignificant, might truly affect his life; and perhaps your own. He might be a really nice guy.

I'm just saying... isn't it nice to have someone accept you for who you are iGary? ;)
  17. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    Hmm...I have never met anyone that I would actively avoid, but come to think of it, people seem to avoid me. :eek: I mean, I am just trying to be friendly with everyone. ;)
  18. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    As long as Easter Bunny™ jokes aren't involved. ;)
  19. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Hee hee! You mean like this?

iGary, you have an iPod. Have the headphones in, and pretend you can't hear him. Should work... unless he walks in front of you and makes eye contact just to get your attention. Hmmm... could backfire.
  20. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    There were some people in school (high school, middle school) that I would try to evade. Thing is, I don't remember them anymore :D

But I have a feeling that they still remember me and my name :eek:
  21. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

We still laugh about that. :D
  22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    At one of my previous jobs, we had two such fellows.

One was the "system administrator" guy, Lee. And I put "system administrator" in quotes, because his workday consisted mostly of hanging out near the receptionist's desk and chatting with her, or anyone else he could leech on to. Whenever times were tough and I got a little worried about job security, I would think to myself, "Well, if Lee still has a job, you're probably safe too." A very creepy, make-your-skin-crawl kind of guy.

The other guy, Matt, wasn't so much creepy as annoying. A close talker, always had a crazed look in his eyes. We met his wife at one of the company Christmas parties and it turns out she's nuts too. The funny thing about him was that if he was, say, in a meeting with a customer or client he could turn it off and act perfectly normal. You had to be around him for awhile to realize just what a wacko he was.

Luckily, everyone I work with now is pretty normal. Which probably means that I'm That Guy. ;)
  23. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2005
    My Ex :p
  24. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    ahh guy at the gym, the distant cousin of concert guy, you know the one, the drunk guy right behind you who sings every song off key and between songs he keeps slapping you on the shoulder going "Oh Man, they were way better when I saw them in '86!" or "Man they know how to please a crowd eh?...want a sip of my beer?"
  25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, that's what I usually do when I see Makisushi. If he replies to one of my posts, I generally don't reply and pretend I didn't see it. In fact, I just stop posting in the thread if he ever quotes me. :eek:

Same with 2nyRiggz. MAN that guy is annoying. :D

*realizes he's now on the invisible list of another 2 MR members*

(and doesn't mind)