The Gym(My first experience)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey all,
    So you might remeber in the past I made a couple of threads about fitness and losing weight. Well today I finaly signed up and went to a gym, it cost a pretty penny 400 euros for 6 months. Well everything was alright. I then thought to myself I have to be serious about losing weight so I went to a spinning class. OMFG 1 hour of hell!!!! Now I know the no pain no gain saying but the class was an hour of intense biking, I managed to finish the class but at the end when I was walking home or up and down stairs it felt like my knees where gonna give out(and they did 2). Now I am gonna continue to go but geeeeeez is it hard, just wanted to share my experience with you all.
    Thanks for reading my rant
    Patmian212

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Good luck with your journey!
    Consistency + time will yield you the desired results.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I never participated in those type of structured workouts, but with every additional one the pain will lessen and you will benefit from the resulting weight loss and improved conditioning. Hang in there ... the money will be well spent.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

What do you call that little gadget you clip on your belt or shorts and it tells you how many steps you walked?

I need to get myself one of those. I plan on walking 2 hours a day to keep fit instead of paying for a gym membership, which I found I rarely took advantage of.

Going to the gym can be frustrating because I can't look all disheveled.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Hopefully you'll be glad you've done this. The first few weeks are tough, especially if you've never done something like this before. Even just getting back after a long layoff is difficult.

But in the end you'll be better for it and the pain (which should be soreness, not really pain) will diminish.

The saying "no pain no gain" comes from the fact that as you work out you actually tear the muscles just a little bit. As they repair themselves, they get bigger, but the soreness is from the initial tearing. If you feel real pain, such as a truly torn or pulled muscle, or joint problems, ease off for a few days or more to recover.

Luckily spinning should be easy on the joints, even if your leg muscles might take a little longer to forgive you. :p

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:eek: That sounds like so much money! Does that include a personal trainer, or any special 'perk?'

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Pedometer. It's not just the duration (time) or distance of walking, you garner the cardio benefits from getting your heart rate up.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

400 euros for 6 months does sound like a lot.

My membership fee is $1 a day, but doesn't include a personal trainer.

http://www.fitnessworld.ca/vancouver.html

Great, thanks D. I know what to look for now. :)

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Won't that will cut into your 24 hour a day forum habit? ;)

Another option may be to get a heart rate monitor that includes a pedometer or GPS so that you can also track to see if your heart rate is in the "fat burning" zone.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The gym at my school is 60 bucks a semester....it's kind of annoying that they make us pay for it -- most school's gyms are free -- but it's a decent price, although it's not too good.

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    glad your first visit went well...stay with it.

i renewed my membership yesterday...i usually pay $250/yr but the guy i was dealing with ( they're like used car salesmen....) said he could do 15 months for $250.00. i told him I was once offered a deal of buying 2 years and getting the third free( $500/3 years) but he said he couldn't do that, the best he could do was 3 years for $450.00.:rolleyes:

i just smiled and took the deal...

12. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Special perk not really a personal trainer cost 600 euros for 20 hours, only thing i get is i can go whenever I want for aslong as I want I have access to all the classses and I get 2 free towles a day.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Wow that seems so pricy... :eek:

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Maybe he can sell the towels on eBay.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to going to the Gym this next year. But I have to get back in shape. I used to have a six pack without flexing. Now it's just...a pooch!

I used to be extremely fast too. I'm not talking about running (well, I was, before smoking) but my reactions were lightning quick. I was in a fight in highschool years ago where I hit the guy 9 times before he even swung at me.

Now, I'd be lucky to do half of that. GAH! So out of shape. I bought one of those nifty water jugs that's clear/blue and has a metal cap with a strap that I can carry into work and just drink water (isntead of 2 pepsi's a day).

Good on ya patmian. Hope it works out for you! New year's day...here I come.

16. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hehehehe well yeah It is kinda pricy but its pretty nice with sauna and stuff, its close to my house and my parents paid for it so you know all I gotta dois go and do my best not to have a heart attack.

17. Motley macrumors 6502

The first day is nothing. The real fun is the first morning after some serious weight lifting for the first time ;)

Or recently in my case the sudden 3am leg cramps after a few days of 30 miles in a row on the bike.

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I pay $80 a quarter for the Uni's gym. Of course it is a really nice/large gym with a rock climbing wall like you would never believe. Have only been inside once. Maybe Winter quarter with only 3 classes I will start taking advantage of my free time and actually go. Oh, and the teachers and staff have to pay the gym fee. No matter if they never use it.

19. Diavilo1 macrumors member

Just started doing the gym thing a few weeks ago also! Starting to actually feel and notice the changes! When I started I could only run for about half a mile, now I'm up to .6! But I slept in this morning instead of going so now I'm feeling guilty!

20. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

21. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I finally took up the gym when I went to college. I started in August, and I must say I have seen an improvement. The best thing at least for me is that the gym is free, and open late. Now that I am on break I got a 1 month temporary membership at a gym, it was $60. The gym is really nice, everything very new and well maintained. Its scary especially when you have been lifting what a week off will do to you. I am really glad I decided to go to the gym, because its important to take advantage of youth, and to get in shape while your young!

Good luck!

22. Lazyhound macrumors regular

An hour of intense cardio seems a bit excessive for someone just starting out.

23. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I can tell you as someone who recently started a workout routine (June 2005) that if you over-do it, you'll burn out and end up right back where you started.

Remember, with a healthier diet and working out 3-4 days a week, you should expect a weight loss of about 1lb a week. So take it easy. This isn't a sprint, but a marathon that will (hopefully) last the rest of your life. No one can maintain a workout schedule that they don't enjoy.

24. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

There's Avon mountain near where I live and a trail around the reservoirs where you can run or walk.
    I usually go running up to the tower on top of the ridge.
    The annoying thing is that when you are running in winter by yourself people think you are a lunatic.

I don't want to bulk up but get lean and toned. I want something that gives me a total body workout. Moving in every direction and climbing a mountain is the best way.

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

have to agree with the few that have said it seems like too quick of a start. i'm not sure what variables there are in spinning classes, but it seems like you should be able to have a different level than someone who's been doing it for a while... lower settings, larger slow parts, or something...

it's too easy to get discouraged, not to mention hurt, if you start off too quickly... yes, of course you'll have soreness for a few days after your first few workouts (especially if you do weights), but you want to keep the psychological edge too, so that you don't lose your enthusiasm and thus give up...

good work though. lkeep up your determination!